Vent: Why Do People Get A Pup Without Really Thinking It Over

Scottsmum

I've resisted posting this here because it's a public forum but I am just so F'ing furious today!

I know a family recently got a labrador puppy. Quite young, don't know the actual age. Cute little black fur ball.

I personally thought it was the wrong thing to do as there are two young children in the family, one who is still quite small physically and another who is in after school activities 5 days a week. One of the adults in the family is also a shift worker. They live in the blue mountains and they're strict on the "dogs outside" rule.

Basically they're time poor, live in a cold climate and I personally don't think a lab is right for their lifestyle... Anyhow... not my place to say and I certainly wasn't asked.

Anyhow - all as been pretty quiet on the western front besides the "homecoming photos" until today when a series of photos popped up on Facebook. The pup has chewed a freaking great hold in the back deck and has now been baby gated off the deck all together. So not only is she outside - she's banished to the yard. Because... I assume she's a bored lab puppy.

I'm just so mad. All of my predictions of this dog becoming nothing more than a badly behaved, lawn ornament who is ignored because she's too naughty are already coming true. There is prior form to suggest this will be the outcome.

Don't even start me on getting a pup in the thick of winter!

Furious. Absolutely F'ing fuming!

Sorry. Just have to vent.

edited to fix a copy and paste stuff up

Edited by Scottsmum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the world of rescue ... we hear these stories and worse every day.

I'm sure they "love" their puppy or the idea of a puppy but reality is so different from what they imagined. A cutesy puppy just being there for when they have time and being happy to have no attention or exercise but behave well, whilst it waits for the next 5 minutes of attention.

Labradog Rescue is excellent, that might well be where puppy ends up ...

I know how you feel. My friend, fresh out of high school and currently at uni recently got a 'cavoodle' from a 'breeder' off gumtree (already problematic in itself) and every time I hear about the situation from a mutual friend I just want to :banghead:

She has never had a dog before or even mentioned interest in getting one so I doubt much research went into picking a breed or how to bring up a pup. She lives in an apartment in the city which is owned by and rented to her by her cousin who is fine with the puppy but she didn't tell her parents about it and now that she's gone home for the break they've had a puppy sprung on them and they don't want it but there's not much they can do. She hasn't considered any of the monetary costs beyond the initial purchase(like needing to get it groomed every 6 weeks, or pet insurance) and it sounds like already there are already behavioral problems, my mutual friend (who is fine around dogs) said that the puppy is terrified of her and won't come near her when she comes over which is a bit worrying considering how young the pup is, I don't think it knows much of a world outside her apartment.

I can foresee this pup probably being left with mum and dad or moved along to somebody else when pup is no longer as cute/has expensive health problems/she wants to move or travel.

I might offer for her to bring pup over to meet Didi and perhaps give her some advice but I feel like it will probably fall on deaf ears.

It's so frustrating! Often they're impulse purchases, and I don't understand how people can add a life to their home on a whim. I'm sure it's a little different if you already have a dog, you may know you can easily add another.

We talked for a good year or so and decided that when we bought a house would be the right time to commit to a dog. Then it was a few months to settle in, then 6 months to find the right breeder. It was such a long research process, but I wouldn't change it... We wouldn't give up our pup for the world - anything naughty she has done has really been our fault, and we've all been learning!

Apart from the fact that "your" family is in the Blue Mountains, Scottsmum, you could be talking about the people over the road from me. Female, Black Labrador. Locked in front courtyard with no view of the outside world except the sky. Ignored most of the time and given an occasional walk, read drag. Breaks my heart because I hear the poor think crying and yelping with sheer lonliness and boredom.

And yes, outside with cover, but wind blows in the rain.

It's incredibly frustrating and heart breaking. There is nothing worse for me than seeing a pup ignored. Our previous neighbours purchased a sweet little male Staffy pup which was left outside all the time with only a kennel and an enclosed playpen for the first couple of weeks. Listening to it howling every night broke my heart. It was left outside even when there were huge storms and lightening - the poor little thing cried all night long. I seriously was considering jumping the fence and stealing it...the only interaction was periodic when they would go out and play with it. It was never taken for walks, never trained and would get yelled at for the tiniest reason. :(

I wouldn't have minded so much if there were more interactions, but it seemed as though they bought the pup and then just left in the backyard thinking that would be fine. They've since moved and I often wonder what happened to it.

In comparison, my two are happily curled up next to me with my girl sharing my heated throw. :)

Poor labby :(

Very sad for such a people focused breed to be treated this way.

As dog mad said, at least there is an excellent labrador rescue group.

It seems like they don't have time or the sense for a dog at all, but perhaps an older dog or a lower energy breed would have been more suitable and more likely to work for them.

I see it all the time and it make me so frustrated. Most people won't listen to reason and then expect you to clean up after them.

Been there, almost done that with the same family. I suspect we'd have taken in their last dog when they were trying to dump it but it wasn't good with cats (we had 4 at the time,

Sadly around here I think the majority of dogs are in similar situations frown.gif

"Dogs are for outside" is a regular occurring statement.

I've no real problem with outside only (although I dont subscribe to that view). Before I moved out of home my dogs were outside. What I really object to in this case it that it's a new puppy, its dark and cold and they're time poor - they could have at least waited until summer when the evenings are longer (more play time) and warmer.

poor baby.

If she's a typical mouthy/bitey lab puppy the kids are are probably "over her" already or will be very shortly :(

That's if they're not scared of her already- heard quite a few horror stories of boisterous lab puppies terrifying the kids in the fmaily by jumping and mouthing etc and thus being banished outside which only makes the behaviour worse.

Have not discussed it with them. I imagine it would "break the kids hearts" to get rid of it. But that's just me.

Yes, the children over the road would be broken hearted too .... like hell. I am in my front garden a lot and so I regularly see all members of,the family coming and going ay various times through the days. The gate to the courtyard with the poor dog is kept is down the side adjacent their driveway, so they have to pass it when the get out of their cars or the children walk in from school. I rarely if ever see them look in let alone go in to interact with the dog.

We have an extended family member who acquires various cute animals. I've helped a few but her latest are rats. So not going there. Just annoys me so much because her parents have the attitude that it's "only" a bird/rabbit or guinea pig.

Sounds a bit like my neighbours. I only moved here last November, but since then I don't think I've ever heard them take their dog inside. I'm pretty sure it lives down the dead side of the house only. He's always outside. He's a 2 year old ridgeback, and I worry at this time of year that he will be cold. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him at all, I worry that he's too skinny anyway, and then to not be allowed inside and I haven't been able to see a decent kennel and he doesn't get a coat. i just hear him periodically throwing his metal food bowl around on the concrete. The only interaction I hear him get is him being yelled at to sit for his dinner. There are kids there but they play with him or talk to him. He never gets walked. I just don't understand why they have him.....

sad for poor pup. They live to be with people (actually what dog doesn't want to be part of some pack)

http://www.rspcapuppyguide.com.au/ doesnt get enough reading (and at least it acknowledges some people want planned for dogs not just other peoples mistakes)

I hope the labs breeder is keeping in touch with the owners and is hinting that it's ok to return a pup if it's not working out.