It Has Been Done A Thousand Times.....

Aaah...the oldies, they do present some challenges!

:eek: I'd just finished replying to your post, walked into the kitchen, was cleaning up Myrtie's eyes when I heard a blurgh blurgh and there was Tamar throwing up on the kitchen mat.

I think "challenges" needs to be heavily underscored :(:(

Guest donatella

I've quoted a few posts here to respond to specifically, but thank you everyone for your helpful and considered replies. I really appreciate it.

Would she eat the meat if it was like a broth or a smoothie? Still would be using her tongue, but it might be a little easier?

I've tried making it more slushy, but she hasn't managed any better :(.

make her raw a bit drier and roll into marble shaped balls ;) ?

LOL as I was coming home I was thinking about what I could do and was wondering what I coule put on my hands which would make the little balls so palletable that she couldn't resist. I might give Clunkers a try as well as a standyby.

Have you tried the natures gift semi moist dry? Mine get it for brekky and love it and the semi moist might be perfect for no teefies.

I don't know this one donatella. Supermarket or pet store?? It isn't the no teefies that is the problem, I think her tongue is exhausted LOL.

Just blend her food up for her :)

I'll give this a try. A long time ago, I had a little dog whose bottom jaw was slowly being eaten away by cancer and he used to lap up his sloshy food very happily.

Oh really!! It's supermarket but good ingredients (I had a thread recently in health about it). My dogs love it and won't touch premium kibble!!

My first thought would be to have a vet check her teeth and gums for possible problems - she might like the kibble because it is in smaller pieces which she can keep away from a sore gum or tooth??

If she has an all clear from the vet then I would experiment with the texture of the food you are preparing - I second the idea of running her share through a food processor or blender and see if she can manage it better then. You can do this just after you have made up your batches of raw food and just blend a fifth of it for her.

Also increase her allowance of raw meaty bones which require chewing as this might help to exercise her tongue and prevent further atrophy of those muscles. For small breed seniors I like beef or roo marrow bones with the marrow removed ( you can freeze it and add small amounts to the raw mix). Personally I don't feed dried bones, only raw, I worry about impacted bowels and the like...

And yes, you're quite right, kibbles that have a lot of fillers (sugar beet, too much grain etc.) will produce big poos. laugh.gif

My guys like the RC Mini Mature but lately the Senior Poodle has not really been eating much kibble.

So he will have wet food. He still likes his chicken wings (I give him the two smaller joints) so, at his age, if he wants My Dog or Dine cat food, then that's what he'll get.

My guys also liked the Advance Turkey and Rice too.

There is nothing wrong with her appetite :thumbsup: ; she is just having difficulty getting the food into her mouth and keeping it there.

I was thinking of Parmesan, Brandiandwe. I have the ground up kibble and I'll throw in a bit of parmesan and then roll her raw into little balls. :eek: It already takes me ages to feed the tribe, what's a bit longer. LOL.

Forgot to add: I have the brick ready to stand her bowl on. :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

:thumbsup::thumbsup: to little balls of food rolled in ground kibble and parmesan. But let's face it, it would have been pretty delicious doggy food.

Joking aside, Myrtie didn't seem to have any trouble picking it up. I guess they fact that it was drier and she was more able to get a grip on it. She wolfed it down and was looking for more.

Hope there are some interesting things on teev to while away the hours spent rolling little balls of food. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, raising the bowl didn't seem to make any difference. She still picked out some food, dropped it on the floor and they ate it :laugh: :laugh:

Now to watch for what comes out of the other end.

I will also look at the brands and other foods that have been suggested here.

Thanks everyone.

There is nothing wrong with her appetite :thumbsup: ; she is just having difficulty getting the food into her mouth and keeping it there.

I was thinking of Parmesan, Brandiandwe. I have the ground up kibble and I'll throw in a bit of parmesan and then roll her raw into little balls. :eek: It already takes me ages to feed the tribe, what's a bit longer. LOL.

Forgot to add: I have the brick ready to stand her bowl on. :laugh: :laugh:

this is exactly the same as Penny and I've started giving her chunkers. She can pick them up.

Aaah...the oldies, they do present some challenges!

:eek: I'd just finished replying to your post, walked into the kitchen, was cleaning up Myrtie's eyes when I heard a blurgh blurgh and there was Tamar throwing up on the kitchen mat.

I think "challenges" needs to be heavily underscored :(:(

What's a little vomit compared to waking up to a 30kg dog that poops in his sleep? This morning was not a pleasant experience I can tell you :(

I am glad that Myrtle enjoyed her little food balls, you're an angel for putting in the extra time for her.

LOL, Persephone. (I am awaiting my DVD from Arthritis Victoria "Move it or Lose It". I don't have arthritis; I just need to do some exercise.)

K, I've bought those a couple of times in the past thinking I was giving the dogs a treat, but they weren't well received. I'll have a look again.

WSM :eek: . Poor you. At least you know who is the culprit. The first thing I noticed as I sat on the edge of the bed trying to wake up was a great big yellow slimy sick on the floor. No idea who did it as everyone is normal so hopefully just old tummies feeling a bit off and nothing to be extra concerned about.

Natures Gift - the semi moist one, or Earthborn Holistic (take out a mortgage on your house). My extra fussy ones eat that. Or give her a trial on larger pieces of meat, or necks, or wings. I have a couple who do not have all their teeth and do that - once they pick it up, they can gum it to death.

I know all about doggies gumming. I once rescued then adopted a little dog who needed all his teeth removed. The op was in the morning and he was happily gumming chicken necks in the back yard that evening. :eek:

I am now stocked up on Clunkers and Nature's Gift Semi-moist. All the dogs have had samples, quickest meal ever prepared and ever eaten :thumbsup::thumbsup: Myrtie didn't miss a beat. Now to see what comes out the other end LOL.

Guest donatella

Not sure about the clunkers lol but mine don't crap like rottis with NG and it's always good stool.

We now have stocked up on Chunkers and N/gift semi moist. Myrtie is managing and loving it. I cut the Chunkers in half and feed that and NG about 30/70. I still give the others their raw, but mix in some Chunkers and NG.

LOL, their meals have never been eaten so quickly, or prepared so quickly. So far? :thumbsup::thumbsup: