Fenzi Dog Sports Academy

TSD, it's basically a start from the beginning - starting with all different kinds of stuff, and getting a hold. Then progressing from there. Most of the people seems to be starting out, although to be fair, I haven't spent a lot of time in there yet. It's geared towards obedience retrieves, rather than your 'proper' retrieving, as far as I can see. :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be pretty basic stuff that Zig is already comfortable doing at the moment..

I think I need to get him out and about and do the exercises in more distracting environments to get more out of the beginning stuff.

We have just signed up to do a noseworks workshop at the end of August - I can't wait.

It is hard finding things for a very active dog, who is limited in the exercises he can do due to his hips and back.

We are seeing a chiro for his back but it is going to take time.

Hopefully with the right diet and keeping him fairly lean and fit, his hips will last longer than the vet thinks..

GeorgieB I took Nosework101 last semester but I didn't have any scents or anything to do it with so sort of dropped it. :( Today I found a place that sells a full nosework kit for the Fenzi course!!!!! I am so excited I think I will get back into it!! How are you going with Reggie in it?

Um I'm taking too many courses right now, somebody needs to hold an intervention.

I had a look at buying the proper scents, there's a recommended one for people in Australia in the course outline now I think.

But I'm mostly doing it for a bit of fun and brainwork for Reg so I'm just using almond extract so far :laugh:

Progressing well I think it's only been one week though so we will see :)

Ugh, I spoke too soon..

They have introduced 'touch' - teaching a dog to touch your hand or an item...

I cannot get Zig to do this - I have watched loads of videos and he still just doesn't get it.

Anyone else have issues with teaching touch?

Jumabaar - I got a kit recently. Message me if you like and I'll give the details - or ask Jo B when you see her at work next.

EDITED: Scrap that. I might have purchased the last one!

I recently did some research and found a place to buy 2 of the 3 scents. Want that link instead?

Edited by Scottsmum

Ugh, I spoke too soon..

I cannot get Zig to do this - I have watched loads of videos and he still just doesn't get it.

What issues do you encounter when you try teaching touch, Staffyluv?

It looks like they are currently sold out of the sent work kits :'(

Nooooo.... I should've bought them on the spot when I first saw them! Oh well, it's a sign that I should just focus on one course at a time! :D

Ugh, I spoke too soon..

What issues do you encounter when you try teaching touch, Staffyluv?

It looks like they are currently sold out of the sent work kits :'(

Nooooo.... I should've bought them on the spot when I first saw them! Oh well, it's a sign that I should just focus on one course at a time! :D

I hold the treat between fingers, so that he has to 'touch' my hand to get it. I say touch at the first point his nose touches my hand and them let him have the treat - I have tried over and over and over again and when I just put my hand down, he sniffs and doesn't touch it..

I really don't think I am doing it right because he really doesn't get what I am trying to teach him.

I have tried touching his nose (gently of course) and saying yes and treating as well - this is also met with him not understanding..

I have given this a few goes over the last couple of years and it just doesn't work.

Every video I watch on 'how to teach it', is already using a dog that seems to know touch.. So the dog just does it. The teaching methods that I am using don't work with us and I just don't understand why..

Try shaping it - so first reward as close to your hand as he will put his nose and gradually increase criteria so he is touching your hand, and then harder pressure on your hand. Also helps if you reward by putting the treats in the hand that he has touched. All of mine have picked it up very quickly! Here is Nitro using the nose touch for contact training

I have been treating the sniffing - it just doesn't eventuate to anything else..

I don't use a clicker - I lose them all the time, so gave up - I use the word 'yes' in place of a click and to indicate that is what I want..

He knows 'yes' is good.

It might not be him, there is every chance it is me and the way I am trying to teach it.. Maybe my cues are off.

I wish I could find a video of someone teaching touch to a dog that doesn't already know the command.. I have searched You tube and every single video is a dog that already knows it - or I am a total idiot because I just can't get him to do it..

I hold my hand out with a treat between my fingers, as his nose touches my hand, I say yes and he gets the treat - that is no problem, he will do this over and over again..

I am doing everything on the videos and what everyone is saying but it doesn't go any further than him taking a treat..

If I take the treat out of the equation, he doesn't do anything..

If I say touch, he just looks at me and offers a sit or drop - he doesn't understand and I don't know how to make him understand, when I am already doing everything on the video and suggested..

Sorry, just a bit frustrated with it. I might leave it for a few days and give it another go.