Sudden Weakness In Hind Legs

Odin-Genie

Hi,

My six year old Golden Retriever woke up this morning with sudden weak hind legs. She walks a little bit and then sits down. I gave her a rub down but she wasn't flinching. However she is stiff and also seems lethargic.

No other symptoms. appetite is good.

We will be taking her to the vet when they open at 8 am. However, if you have any insights, it would be helpful.

She was fine yesterday when we took her to the oval.

Many thanks.

Vet is the best advice..

Just my experience with my old SBT, Ollie, he had a weakness in his back legs and once in all four legs and it turned out to be some sort of infection (can't recall the name now) that inflamed his joints. He was on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds for a couple of weeks and came good.

I hope it is something easily fixed.

Given there are other symptoms that just the hing leg weakness, a tick sounds quite possible.

Just have to ask you if you have used any products with tea tree oil in it on your dog in the last few days? Both my dog and her brother separately had tea tree oil products used on them, and both ended up unable to stand. In both cases, they were then bathed, and within 24 hours were totally fine again. Mine only had the tea tree on the back feet, and it was only the back legs affected.

Best of luck with your dog.

Edited by poppop

Keeping everything crossed for you. For future reference, and anyone else reading this, if you do suspect tick poisoning it's best not to feed your dog or let them drink. This can cause problems as their ability to swallow may be compromised, putting them at risk of aspiration pneumonia.

Hope it's good news at the vets x

Edited by teekay

I once had a dog go suddenly lame and he had constipation. From memory the compaction was pressing on a nerve making it difficult for him to walk. The vet fed him Pal and got that poo out and he was fine again. So I hope it is something quickly fixable but he must see the vet.