Dog Swallowed A Foreign Object

sheena

Some well meaning person at training tonight fed my dog some liverwurst while I was instructing the class :mad Would not have been so bad, but my dog ate the whole lot including about 5 inches of the plastic wrapper & the little metal bit that holds the roll together. Needless to say, she is going to sleep with me tonight so I can keep an eye on her & I have given her about a tablespoon of olive oil with only half her normal dinner plus some home made beef stock. How long does it take for something like this to either pass through or show signs of obstruction etc. It happened about two hours ago & ATM she is fine. I really do wish people would ask before they give someone else's dog something to eat :swear: I did not leave her unattended, OH was holding her lead, while busy watching the class & didn't notice the other person giving her the treat.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will probably depend on the dog how long it takes to pass. Fingers crossed all is well and she is fine. I'd be tempted to hit the idiot who did it up for the vet bills if not.

My oldest swallowed all sorts of things as a puppy despite my best efforts - AA batteries, large river stones, my glasses, etc. all passed through without any dramas (but with many frantic vet visits...), so hopefully you will be lucky too. I guess the main concern in your case is if it was a reasonably large piece of plastic that it could get twisted around things, hopefully it will all be fine.

Signs of a bowel obstruction - they still have an appetite but cant keep anything down. If it was soft plastic it should go through Ok. Were there sharp edges on the metal bit and did you see what it looked like before it was swallowed so you know what to look for when it comes out? If the object gets through the first valve from the stomach to the small intestine, you have about 12 hours I reckon to expect it to come out.

My pup recently had a feed of garden stones, one big one came back up as it was too big to get through the first junction. Pup kept vomiting afterwards so he had an XRay which revealed a smaller stone lodged in the gut. Surgery revealed it was stuck at the junction of small and large intestine.

good luck, you will know if there is a problem by morning.

I saw her feeding it to her dog on the weekend. She was squeezing it out of its casing into the dogs mouth. The plastic is pink & is the plastic casing of the liverwurst sausage. I would imagine the metal bit is the little metal clip that holds those type of sausages together.

Can I ask why you only fed 1/2 a meal? I would have thought that a normal meal would have moved it through better and provided a bit of wrapping. I am probably wrong as my guys don't tend to eat odd stuff.

I only gave her half a meal, because I wasn't too sure if I should feed her anything. I gave her half her normal kibble plus a raw egg, some olive oil & beef stock. I really didn't think that making her vomit would be the right thing to do,in case she brought it only half way up & choked on it. If I knew all the RIGHT things to do, then I wouldn't be on here asking the DOL Brains trust :confused:

I dont know either, it was a genine question as I thought that must be the protocol. The only thing I have heard is if it has gone down and you think it is small enough to make it through, feed a meal of tinned food made sloppy with water or stock and add some metamucil, to move it along and coat it a bit. But I am reluctant to recommend what is second hand info.

Oh, gosh, it is so stressful when your dog has swallowed something they shouldn't.

Have you got any slippery elm handy? I used it when my boy swallowed a bit of plastic. I have also read a vet's blog where he stated that Slippery Elm has save a number of dogs from potentially fatal blockages. Not saying that the wrap and clip will be a bad one.

I think that she will probably pass it without too much problem and I don't think the metal clip will cause problems.

Wishing all the best.

Those liverwurst sausage things are only about 10cm long so I wouldn't panic too much, the metal thing that holds the casing on is tiny and it's round with no sharp edges and the plastic is fairly thin and soft.

Did someone actually see her feeding a treat to your dog or did the dog steal it out of her bag? I doubt she would have given your dog the whole lot including the wrapping. Because you saw her feeding liverwurst to her dog on the weekend doesn't mean she fed some to your dog tonight. Since your husband was holding the lead he should have been watching the dog.

The round metal part that holds the casing is tiny, the dog will pass it without notice. There's not a lot of plastic wrapping so this also should pass easily as the plastic is soft and thin.

I don't get why you fed the dog only half her meal. She won't pass the plastic in a hurry if there's hardly any food in her system to move it along. I would have fed her a little more than usual to move it along more quickly. I bet she enjoyed the home made beef stock but liquids will not help move things along.

You will need to carefully examine her stools for the next couple of days, the plastic and little metal clip thing may well pass without your knowledge unless you watch for it. You should know within 3 days if there is a problem.

The metal clip will be small so I wouldn't stress about that too much. If you are concerned you haven't seen anything pass you could get her xrayed and the metal clip would show up on xray.

I would chat to your vet but paraffin oil may help move things along also

i would be feeding paraffin oil (olive oil will be digested) ..and some psyllium husks/weetbix :) it may take a couple of days to see what's happening - you will soon know if there is a problem by her attitude - she will definitely appear uncomfortable ..and may not poo properly ... or it may be watery ( as a blockage only lets liquid thru) ..or she may not want to eat ...

Thanks everyone...she is fine & bouncy this morning & OH has just taken them for a walk on the beach. She has to stay on lead till she passes it, so we can examine every poop. Unfortunately, we are camping ATM, so the only oil I have in the cupboard is olive oil. But all these suggestions are good, as I should have a few things on hand back home. She didn't steal the liverwurst. This woman holds it in her hand & squeezes it out to treat her dogs. OH was standing next to her holding our two dogs while he was watching the instruction of the class going on, which I was instructing. This woman just must have thought it would be nice to give Bindi some, without asking first & the first my OH realised something was wrong was the woman was trying to wrestle something out of Bindi's mouth. All she had to do, was tell her to "drop it" & Bindi would most probably have spat it out, but she panicked & it disappeared. As no-body could really agree on exactly what size this thing was that she swallowed, I was reluctant to get her to vomit (not that I would know how) in case she choked.

It's not the first time this person has tried to give my dogs things....she produced this sausage on the weekend & I told her "NO".... :o I think I should make a point of this & tell my class that they are not to give treats to other people's dogs without asking first. When Bindi does pass it, I am going to take a photo & post it on FB & tag her in it.

ETA...Just an update...OH has come back from the beach. She did a poo & he disected it carefully & couldn't find anything in it. It was quite normal (firm) but quite dark, which could be because of the liver content.

Edited by sheena

What happened last night was an accident, but one waiting to happen. What concerns me most about people giving their treats to other people's dogs is that these training treats are usually pretty strong stuff & some dogs cannot tolerate certain foods. There is also the risk of choking, apart from teaching the dogs bad habits. I am going to ram it home to my class next week & have asked the other instructor to do the same. Hopefully, this woman has learnt something, but I doubt it...how can you learn something when you already know everything :o

What a stupid woman. I would be rope able. Bloody rude feeding peoples dogs anyway but the fact you have said no recently makes it even worse!

Fingers crossed all is fine. I have seen some amazing things make it right the way through and out the other end of dogs.

Edited by OSoSwift

Sheena, the woman who is feeding liverwurst to other peoples dogs is very lucky she hasn't caused a dog a serious problem. Had she fed this to one of my dogs the dog would have had a pancreatitis attack within hours. Seeing one of these attacks in action is very unpleasant for the dog and owner. Perhaps she should be made aware of this.

I would be furious if she fed it to my dogs and would let her know in no uncertain terms. Worse still you have already told her not to feed it to your dog last time she attempted to do it. I would definitely tell your class not to feed treats of any description to other peoples dogs.

I guess your husband was taken by surprise which is why he didn't tell your dog to drop it. He probably had no idea what the woman was doing when she was trying wrestle the wrapper from your dog's mouth.

I know what size the liverwurst packaging is because I buy this product but the only reason I would give it to a dog would be to hide a tablet in it when the dog was on medication. This does not include the pancreatitis dog. Don't worry too much, your dog should pass it without a problem.

Good to hear she is happy and well today. She will probably pass the stuff tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for the reassurance . I was lucky to find a can of Pal (I had a choice of Pal or Pal :eat: ) at the local little store & have given her a feed of that. That stuff would make anyone poop :vomit: Now to wait & see. My young guy just did a poop too, & it was black & tarry like hers was this morning, so I suspect she must have fed him some too.