Green Lipped Mussels

sheena

I am getting some dried whole (without the shell) green lipped New Zealand mussels. Probably just to feed as a special treat, but has anybody else ever fed whole mussels before. Any idea on how many could be too many :confused: I know they are good stuff, but don't want to over do it...they are already getting whole dried pilchards every second day.

I am getting some dried whole (without the shell) green lipped New Zealand mussels. Probably just to feed as a special treat, but has anybody else ever fed whole mussels before. Any idea on how many could be too many :confused: I know they are good stuff, but don't want to over do it...they are already getting whole dried pilchards every second day.

Oh yes, they are great! I bought a couple of kilos the other day for $5kg fresh in shell they were not too big, maybe slightly bigger than standard mussels. I shuck and feed 2 with a meal 4 times a week. I freeze them in 2s or 3s.

I have bought the sunday pets freeze dried ones too, they are good but very expensive for what you get.

I have run out of fresh so might have to go back and get some more :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Sounds good and keep an eye out at your local fish mongers if they are a reasonable price as the fresh ones are a great addition to a meal. Bloody dog eats better than I do :laugh:

:eat: I love mussels & often buy a jar of marinated ones for myself, though I suspect the processing of the marinade/cooking would destroy most of their benefits. I do believe that these ones from LPT's which are A grade are safe for humans to eat.

we tried the sunday pets dried ones - no go. Fussy bum didnt like them.

Then we got a packet of capsules from the health store - split one of them over his food when every I remember (4//5 times per week) and he's more then content to eat that.

i have a jar of treats- it has shark cartilage, these mussels, VAN healthy dog treats and another glucosomine treat. They get one of these things once a day when i leave for work.

And they are so excited to get outside on their mats for the mussels that sometimes i feel unloved :laugh:

I am thinking of having a munch on them myself. The lady from LPT's has told me that they are a very large mussels so one mussel daily is sufficient for one 100kg dog. She recommends one a day for two weeks then drop it back to 3 or 4 times a week. At that rate the bag is going to last me forever. I know of someone who does eat LPT's mussels & swears by them for her osteoarthritis :)

I am thinking of having a munch on them myself. The lady from LPT's has told me that they are a very large mussels so one mussel daily is sufficient for one 100kg dog. She recommends one a day for two weeks then drop it back to 3 or 4 times a week. At that rate the bag is going to last me forever. I know of someone who does eat LPT's mussels & swears by them for her osteoarthritis :)

100kg dog!!!! :eek: Is there such thing?! I hope it's a typo LOL

Are the dried mussels any different nutritionally to fresh ones? I've given my girl dried ones before and she liked them. I don't think I've seen fresh ones anywhere... are they also called green lipped mussels at the fishmongers or are they just regular mussels? I know nothing about seafood... :laugh:

100kg dog!!!! :eek: Is there such thing?! I hope it's a typo LOL

Are the dried mussels any different nutritionally to fresh ones? I've given my girl dried ones before and she liked them. I don't think I've seen fresh ones anywhere... are they also called green lipped mussels at the fishmongers or are they just regular mussels? I know nothing about seafood... :laugh:

I think she means 100kg OF dog, in other words 1 a day is plenty for the average dog (I think that was her point). Instead of saying 1/4 per dog. I think that the green lipped mussel is only grown in the waters around New Zealand & is different to the ones we get out of our waters. They bring them over from NZ & process them at LPT's in Queensland & the way they dry them is supposed to retain all their goodness.

OOhhh, the factory is in Caloundra, I might have to go visit and stock up on dog treats! :thumbsup:

They have some great stuff & a lot of it is seafood based...so a bit different to the normal "beef liver" :D