Bursting With Pride

Starkehre

Last night I received this lovely photo of my gorgeous 2 year old bitch Seven, taken by photographer Karen Edwards of Double K Herding.

I am currently almost in tears brimming with pride. This young girl of mine received a Runner Up High In Trial doing HSAs at this trial in April this year when she received a score of 94.

We would like to be further along in herding, but Seven has also achieved her Australian Champion title at 11 months. Along with this she has competed in 22 Rottweiler specialty shows all over Australia, receiving several 17 V ratings, many class in show wins, several challenge bitch, 2 BISS and 2 RUBISS. She's been a busy little chicken and has been an absolute pleasure to take anywhere.

Seven is still training in herding and trialling tomorrow. She is also training in obedience, tracking, agility and nose work.

I am having such a blast with Seven, absolutely love her to bits. And although being success in conformation and working arenas is nice, the thing that makes me the most proud is that she is such a great dog to live with. First and foremost my dogs are my family and how they negotiate and deal with every life both at home and around the community is what matters most to me.

I love training, trialling and showing but most of my pride comes from who the dog is, their temperament, strength of character, good company and drive to please.

Anyway, I know we all nearly burst with pride about our dogs and thought it might be nice to share some nice piccies and stories of what our dogs do to make us proud.

post-27202-0-68616200-1412382406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Starkehre

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's 2 dogs that I've rescued and kept - I'm proud of them because in spite of years of living in terrible situations (in different places) and being in very poor physical and mental shape, both dogs still have gentle and loving natures and have learned to trust again.

I've cared for them and housetrained them both and love them dearly (Dougal is the tan terrier cross that probably came from a byb breeding situation and Gulliver is the little fluffy boy).

Dougal came from a country pound. Gulliver came from Blacktown and was almost dead by the time he got to the PAWS vet.

I named Gulliver, he's a very smart little fellow but due to previous abuse, it was 2 months before he stopped running for his life when I called his name.

post-4751-0-76778400-1412384817_thumb.jpg

post-4751-0-13006300-1412384889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Dougal and Gulliver and just beautiful HMD.

I can "hear" your pride and your story about them brought both me to tears again. There is nothing quite like a pride cry. It is an overwhelming feeling of love and dedication.

You do such an amazing job HMD and it is greatly appreciated :)

I can "hear" your pride and your story about them brought both me to tears again. There is nothing quite like a pride cry. It is an overwhelming feeling of love and dedication.

Thank you Starkehre - I'm also very impressed by Seven! I don't think I've ever seen a Rottweiler herding, you are very talented and dedicated and giving Seven a wonderful and interesting life! Congratulations on being recognised for all your hard work to get to this stage. :thumbsup:

Nawww, thanks guys. I took this photo of her last weekend. She was laying in the sun up against the side fence. The dog next door was running around the neighbours yard, barking the whole time and Seven couldn't care less. Comfortable in her skin and confident enough not to care. And trust me I have had reactive dogs and so I know what it is like. Makes life so much easier and more enjoyable when your dog couldn't care less

post-27202-0-59176500-1412388270_thumb.jpg

Thank you Starkehre - I'm also very impressed by Seven! I don't think I've ever seen a Rottweiler herding, you are very talented and dedicated and giving Seven a wonderful and interesting life! Congratulations on being recognised for all your hard work to get to this stage. :thumbsup:

Same here Dogmad, if someone asked me what kind of dogs make good herders this is not a breed I would even think of including! Starkehre you have every right to be very proud!

And you guys wouldn't be alone not being aware that Rottweilers are one of the world oldest herding breeds. Historically they were more used for droving cattle to and from market and guarding cattle from thieves along route.

Unfortunately when the ANKC grouped breeds they decided the Rottweiler should be in the Utility Group because of the more recent work they do with man in protection. And this caused the breed to be omitted from the list of breeds allowed to her in this country.

We are lucky to have some very dedicated breed enthusiasts in this country that fought long and hard for around 10 years to eventually have the rules changed. And so since around 5 years ago, the Rottweiler is now permitted to train and compete in this dog sport, even though they should have been able to all along.

Rottweilers are natural herders and though their style of herding is more upright and they usually like to work on the shoulder of their stock (hence making them better for driving) they still do an excellent job.

OMG! That photo of her sitting there, so regal and majestic.

The best thing that ever happened to me in terms of getting to know a bit about dogs was becoming a volunteer dog walker at a small pound. From someone who had never been within 100 metres of a Rottweiler or, in fact, many dogs and from my years of being a morning jogger, actually extremely wary, even afraid, I came to feel that you would be hard pressed to find a better dog than a well bred, well brought up Rottweiler.

I still remember a female Rottie we had, I think her name was Shannon. We'd come back from our walk and were standing on the footpath chatting to a woman who'd approached us. The children were racing up and down the footpath passing Shannon within inches and she never batted an eyelid (and yes, we were watching carefully to ensure she was comfortable :D :D ).

Thank you DDD :) she is just a bit of a sexy spunk and in that photo she almost look goddamned arrogant LOL.

You are so right, a well bred, well raised Rottweiler is the most amazing dog. Few breeds are more versatile, loyal, intelligent, biddable and strong.

I am a tad surprised Shannon did sneak and sloppy kiss on that young girl that raced up :) I am not sure how many other breed standards actually state that the breed is fond of children :D I don't have kids, never have, never will and yet all my Rottis gravitate to kids when they see them.

I am so glad you got to know the breed DDD. The most unfortunate thing about Rottweilers is their reputation which is mostly unfounded. They are such a misunderstood breed :(

Well this might be seen as controversial and provocative, Starkehre, but I think one of the best things in terms of how Rottweilers are viewed was the banning of tail docking.

There is no doubt that a soft and noticably wagging tail creates a better image and givesd a more obvious intent than a little hard to see knob albeit furiously trying to show how friendly its owner is. :laugh: :laugh:

Again, an enduring image and tale (pun intended :o :o ) I've told often. In an off leash park (Hawthorn Parade Leichhardt), a large black and tan dog ambles into the midest of a dozen or more littlies and owners continue to enjoy themselves watching the dogs interact instead of fearfully racing around gathering up said littlies. Large black and tan was a Rottie but with the benefit of being able to show her amiability by having a tail.

DDD, I could not agree more. The bulk of the general public much prefer the tailed Rottweiler. They look waggier and friendlier.

You would also find that if you spoke with the bulk of the main stream showing and/or working Rottweiler folk they are pretty much all converted to preferring the tailed dog also.

Personally I don't for a minute subscribe to the theory of not being able to read a dog's body language if it is docked, because you can still see an erect, wagging or lowered tail and you see stiffness in the body and all other signs in the rest of the dog.

When a docked dog wags feverishly, it's rear and hips legs swivel from side to side, it's quite comical and very obvious... but I also understand that many members of the public may not see these things. :)

When a docked dog wags feverishly, it's rear and hips legs swivel from side to side, it's quite comical and very obvious... but I also understand that many members of the public may not see these things. :)

Where I was a volunteer walker, some dogs were called Marilyn Monroe dogs for this very reason LOL.

What a lovely post! I love a nicely bred rottie.

I am really proud of my beagle, Daisy. She has such a solid temperament and is so neutral to other dogs and distraction, nothing phases her. we frequently bring her out in consults to help with dogs that are reactive to other dogs or as distraction proofing for pups or to help teach other owners how to motivate their dogs. I can always rely on Daisy to do what I need her to do. I think she's a great example of her breed.

huski, Daisy is awesome, definitely one to be proud of. Isn't that wonderful how much assistance she is giving others also. To be able to trust a dog that fully is always such a good feeling.

No wonder you are so proud of her :)

I'm proud of my beaten, starved, abused and terrified Malinois bitch of digging deep down and loving people enough to now do LandSAR up wind, down wind, no leads, until she finds them

I'm proud of my young Mal bitch for getting a certificate recognising her drive and skills from two of the most respected trainers in Holland, for protecting me, for being a goof ball, for kissing babies faces and being an all round womble of a dog

I'm proud of my male Mal for being so calm, tolerant and confident at all times, for helping so many dogs get over their reactivity and tolerating so many children leading him round and round without protest

I'm proud of my squishies ... my pug and frenchie for just being there all the time, no matter how we feel and pushing their own special form of micro management onto puppies that need to be put on the right path

I'm proud of my eldest Mal bitch for being my protector, passing as a working security dog, always being with me and protecting me from my ex

I'm proud of my dear departed Rottweiler, despite no hip sockets and the worst elbows in the world he passed as a therapy dog and helped the elderly and those afraid of dogs in his short 4 years

I'm proud of my dear departed Dogue, you were the first protection Dogue in the state, you were a therapy dog, a lover and a fighter who protected me. He worked for me until and protected me even on the day he died... we went training, then he wanted to rest and be left alone in his crate to sleep and never woke up.

I'm proud of my dear departed GSD who was destined for a bullet because he wouldnt bite ... he shone through with love, his potential blossomed with care and he was a fantastically balanced dog. I had him for one short year until the toll of a neglectful upbringing took him from me when his hip fell out of the socket on his second birthday and he gave up on life.

I'm proud of all of my dogs. They gave so much and some gave their entire lives to help me and others. We should be humbled by what our dogs give back to us and what their potential is.

Seven is an awesome dog with no limits. You should be very proud :D She's a fantastic dog

I'm proud of Paige for always working so hard to control her prey drive when I ask her to, to learn to ignore small dogs and cats on leash. She's not even 60 % reliable and is never totally trusted, but I can see her trying so hard because I ask her to.

Brandi, because she is a wonderful therapy dog.

Hermon for learning to be a pet, and for the love and comfort he gives my husband. He trusts us enough to have overcome sleep startle and some space aggression, and I know helps DH much more than I when dealing with PTSD.

Benny, for coming to a new home and pack at nine, for slipping into a new life and loving everything about it.

For the past 17 years I have always had poodles until I lost my old girl at the beginning if the year, as much as I adore them they are not so compatible with small animals.

The 3 dogs I have now make me so proud everyday because I have my chooks (including 4 week old bantams), rabbits and cats all out in the daytime and all 3 dogs are so gentle. It's the first time since I was a teenager that I can safely keep multiple species.