Tips For Exercising Lazy Dog :)

Any tips for building up fitness, muscle tone and drive in a very very energy-efficient big 2yr old male Labrador? Obviously I can walk/jog with him, but I'd like to do other things with him as he's a bit flabby and poorly muscled. Doesn't much like to swim (I know, is this a really a Labrador?!), will retrieve a few times then wander off lol. I'm walking about 6-7km a day with him now (he drags behind like a boulder!) but he just plods and slops along, dragging his feet like he's dying. I don't always have time to do that either, so some different options would be good. Treadmill sadly unaffordable right now - would definitely help!

I'm trying to build up his retrieving drive, I think he's become discouraged by others that are faster and always get the ball, so I have him alone with short retrieves (5-6 metres lol) and loads of praise. He's still super lazy though - he will walk to the ball and back if he goes at all! He tries to please and he's a lovely kind and gentle hug machine, but he would sleep 23.9hrs a day if I let him. Any advice appreciated as my other dogs have all had heaps more drive :)

First questions…

Is he overweight? If so, cut his food right back - it can be a real chicken or egg scenario at times.

Is he sore? I would get him checked out by a vet or good dog physio as that can make a huge difference.

Both my dogs run like idiots when we are out but sleep like logs at home. My Dally really doesn't like walking/trotting next to the bike all that much - very dull. He will do fun retrieves for a bit but the novelty wears off quickly. We go for lots of off-leash runs where he can stop and sniff and pee then sprint like crazy to catch up. A lot of my obedience/agility/retrieving training involves throwing a reward (food/toy) which keeps them up and running. My Dally only swims since Em joined us - she is a retrieving machine (and competes in gundog trials) BUT I never, ever ask her to retrieve competitively with another dog - it really knocks the confidence of the softer dogs.

Asuuming he doesn't have medical problems - there are some conditioning things you could do to help build core strength and muscle tone. Do you have access to an underwater treadmill - he might enjoy some sessions on that.

Things like having him do sit to stand - increasing the number of reps - a few times a day. One that was in one of the recent editions of Clean Run - teaching him to walk backwards - then doing that up a hill. Done slowly, so it might appeal to him :laugh: . As he gets stronger, you can translate this to stairs. Walking forwards up and down hilly streets or driveways - about 30 metres or so - say 3 reps. Setting up cavalettis for him to walk through.

He might enjoy the go round exercises - setting up an upright - something like a pool noodle with a bamboo garden stake in it - shaping/luring him to go round each direction - then gradually increasing the distance from the pole, and the speed.

Teaching him some freestyle moves - spin/twist, weave through legs etc. etc.

A lot of this is stuff you could do at home, and doesn't need to take a long time - so it won't interfere too much with his sleeping :laugh:

But I would also be working on getting him into a really healthy lean weight. All of these should help him to feel like being more active.

I agree with the others. Vet check and weight check first. And here are a few more suggestions:

Make him work for his food. Doesn't have to be much but no free meals!

* 2 food game - toss piece of food in one direction, when they get it, call them and toss food in the opposite direction

* No more retrieves in competition with other dogs. Start with short retrieves by himself. If he is not good at bringing the ball back, start at the beginning with that, might also help to build value for the retrieve object/ball

* Body awareness exercises - good for coordination, balance etc and doesn't take long!

Eg

Balancing on balance discs

perchwork (front feet on a platform, dog pivots around on back legs)

walk backwards

4 feet in a box

Agree - vet check on heart /joints, etc ..then probably a change in feeding .Also take him out for walks very early ,and maybe late at night when it's cooler. is there a destination he enjoys? coffee shop/beach/friend's house? that could increase his motivation :)

Thanks for the ideas so far, there's some good ones!

Forgot to say that no, he's not overweight IMO. Last 2-3 ribs visible, the rest palpable. He has a clear waist but doesn't have much tuck though because I don't think he has much core/abdominal muscling. He's lean enough but flabby looking. All preventative health care up to date, fully vet checked and no obvious soreness, stiffness or unevenness. Good feet, conformation not disastrous but he's a little overdone for a Lab IMO, back legs a touch too straight through the hock/stifle but not terrible. Gaits even and quite nice if you can get him moving freely for 5 minutes lol. Poorly muscled hind quarters and top line, shoulders not too bad.

Will definitely try chucking around small chunks/bits of food on the lawn as he will probably at least trot to those :) Way too lazy for Kongs etc, would starve to death.

I never have had him retrieving in competition with our other Lab (also retrieving machine!) but I believe he was in competition previously (with his old owner). I crate each of them in turn and they both get games, training, play etc separately, or at the park one is on the lead and the other is not. He won't free run at the park, just sniffs around, tries to hang out with families having BBQs :doh:

Will try hill work - would involve me dragging him up and down lol. Cavalettis would be good - any cheapie sets around? I doubt he will pick up his feet over them but he might learn to :) Sit to stand to sit etc can be done but it's always in super slow motion and his mind wanders lol. Trying to slowly work on more snappy responses but it's hard. If it's too challenging he just flops over :laugh: I think he's actually a sloth ...

Heart good, been hip/elbow scored, all good there. Stifles feel ok, no luxation etc. Cooler helps, he feels the heat. He speeds up from a plod to a slow walk in the late evening :D

Just changed from balanced 100% raw to quality dry food purely to see what happens, I'm not expecting it to help much but you never know!

Destinations he enjoys include his bed, the bed outside, the dirt hole up the back where he sometimes sleeps, the lounge, our bed... just kidding... sort of...

He is pretty funny, I've never had a dog like it!

He clearly has no future as a retriever - I'm thinking maybe therapy dog or something that doesn't involve moving a lot?!

He'll always be a sloth but he has to do some exercise lol. His balance/co-ordination is pretty shocking so fitpaws etc might be good, although I can imagine him just snoring peacefully away sprawled on top of the balance disc/fitbone etc while I poke/prod/pat/clap loudly/praise loudly/jump up and down/pull my hair out...

I can bang two big saucepan lids together near him while he's sleeping (not something I would ever usually do lol) and I get one lazy eye open... that's it!

You could always use pool noodles as cavalettis (just on the ground at first - and then they could double for go rounds, figure 8s etc. The ones with holes in are usually pretty cheap at K Mart.

For conditioning purposes, the sit/stand/sit doesn't have to be too snappy - in fact slower is probably better. :D

Does he play with other dogs? Perhaps a few doggy play dates?

Sounds a bit strange for a young lab. My lab is a couch potato at home but always up for a walk or game.

Is everything else ok with him? Has his thyroid been tested?

He'll play with other dogs to a certain extent - with our other Lab they play face-bitey games all without him ever standing up! He'll play bow and have a bit of a wrestle but when the other dogs run around he'll just stand there. I think he's realised that while the other dogs all run around, he hangs out with the people and gets all the pats, so I don't pat him and keep sending him off and encouraging him to play. Of course everyone else at the park pats him though, they think it's hilarious!

He's had full bloods but not T4, he doesn't have any signs of hypothyroidism (apart from lethargy - normal skin/coat, good weight etc) but I also know the clinical signs can be variable/mild. I could do thyroid testing I suppose. He doesn't seem like a sick dog or a dog lacking energy for medical reasons, he just seems a bit like a Greyhound, as everyone has said. Super happy just snoozing :laugh:

I do think the bigger Lab boys can be a bit like this though? Although not quite to this extent?! My smaller female has huge drive and would retrieve all day long - and both dogs are closely related!

My lab boy does sounds a little similar in some respects, in terms of general laziness and stubbornness, but he also still loves to go for walk and will pull like a train if I let him. He used to love playing with other dogs, but now he's a bit older it's more just with a select few of his favourites, and if they're not at the park he'd rather just sniff things.

He also likes chasing the ball, but gets easily distracted, so if I throw the ball and it goes too far into the backyard, he'll chase it, then go "oooh, possum poo, I'm gunna eat that", and then when I remind him about the ball, he looks at me and is like "what ball, is there a ball here? I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Then I'll give up and walk inside and he'll eventually come find me and go "what happened, why aren't you playing with me anymore?"

sigh.

My lab boy does sounds a little similar in some respects, in terms of general laziness and stubbornness, but he also still loves to go for walk and will pull like a train if I let him. He used to love playing with other dogs, but now he's a bit older it's more just with a select few of his favourites, and if they're not at the park he'd rather just sniff things.

He also likes chasing the ball, but gets easily distracted, so if I throw the ball and it goes too far into the backyard, he'll chase it, then go "oooh, possum poo, I'm gunna eat that", and then when I remind him about the ball, he looks at me and is like "what ball, is there a ball here? I have no idea what you're talking about!"

Then I'll give up and walk inside and he'll eventually come find me and go "what happened, why aren't you playing with me anymore?"

sigh.

:rofl: Omg that's exactly what happens when I throw the ball too! It's even the same with the possum poo! How funny. It sucks at the park when I end up going to get the ball more than he does because he found some poor plant to pee on a thousand times.

That happened at first with our female too - slowly I taught her the words 'ball' and 'find it' so when I point down the yard she'll go and search for it and bring it back. But then she actually wants to play with it :) It is handy because I can send her out to get the things that he forgets about, so I don't have to, but now she's getting fitter and fitter and he's still just the same... :laugh: