Rehoming Elderly Pekingese

Hi guys,

First time poster.....

I am hoping for some help in Victoria to re-home an elderly Pekingese x dog. Trixie is about 13 years old and the much loved dog of an elderly couple in Melton. She has been doted on her whole life and been the only dog. Her mum passed away at the start of the year and her dad has just been put into permanent care.

Trixie is being cared for at the Family home with 2xdaily visits but all the extended family own large or young dogs and no one can give her a home. She is a sweet girl however has lost an eye (attacked by another dog out on a walk) and has limited vision in the other eye.

No-one wants to see her pts but really don't know where to turn. She has been an inside dog her whole life.

I am hoping someone may be able to suggest someone with some knowledge in this area.

Thanks

VIC has some fantastic rescue groups - all rescuers struggle at this time of year because it's massive dumpage time in the pounds and from owners who ring us and want to get rid of their dogs. However, in amongst all those are the genuine cases.

We can all only do our best but I'd suggest you contact Rescued with Love and Noah's Bark Rescue and see what they say.

Photos really help if you can get one? Also, the general state of her health ie desexed, teeth etc.

They have never had a cat but she did live with a Maltese some years ago before the Maltese passed away.

It sounds like she is a peke x although I will try to get a photo.

Can I search for esky on here somewhere? I am new to the forums of dol.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, they have all been passed on. At present the elderly man involved is reluctant for Trixie to go anywhere and wants the family to continue her care at the home. I think he needs some time to accept the situation.

At present she is safe, well and at no risk of being placed in the pound. It is causing a lot of stress for the family but I think they need a little time. You have all been most helpful and I shall post again when I know more.

Thanks for the update. Thank goodness the little one is still being cared for. Poor old guy. Must be breaking his heart.

ETA: I've just re-read you opening post, Sunny08. Do you mean the little dog is still all alone in the house where the old man and woman used to live with just twice daily visits by other members of the family. That sounds a pretty lonely existence to me. I wish they'd contact Rescued With Love and then Trixie would go into foster care with people who have years of experience with elderly and/or disabled dogs.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Yes, she is at the house. They are coming each day to feed her wash her eye and tend to the garden. This is a situation that cannot go on as they are aware and are seeking options for her. It is very time consuming as multiple people are taking large amounts of time to visit her. It isn't how she will live out her life but she is having visits of multiple hours at a time, she isn't just being fed and left. She is an inside dog and they have a roster system going. They just can't convince the elderly man that they actually have lives and can't continue spending their days at his house. Especially as they have their own dogs at home.

This is a pic from Eskys place. She ever so slightly spoils her babes. All elderly pekes except one.

Another one of Esky's photos to treasure. I've had one, for years, on my desktop. I love it. Here it is (click enlarge).

post-3304-0-65685400-1418640100_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita