The Flatulence Thread Or...

I'd love to put Ernie in raw but as I'm doing chemotherapy and I'm immuno comprised - my oncologist would strongly prefer I didn't handle raw meat; tripe; etc.

Gonna hook at yoghurt, probiotics, charcoal biscuits and switch from Grain Free to All Stages. One at a time, of course.

If that doesn't work, I'll try phasing out his 'extras' or issue gas masks.

If you wish to feed raw Stressmagnet then pop on a pair of gloves to prepare the food. When I was nursing my Rottie who had cancer one of her drugs was highly cytotoxic and I had to double glove to administer the drug and to pick up the poop in the yard.

It was suggested by the oncologist that I did not have my very young grandchildren come to my home while my dog was on the cyctotoxic meds.

I'm currently feeding Big Dog BARF raw food but there is no need for me to actually handle the raw food, I just scoop it out of the little plastic container with a spoon and pop it into their bowls.

I wouldn't do raw if you are immunocompromised, it's just not worth the risk. Your health is obviously very important! Aside from the handling of raw meats, there have been reputable studies that show that dogs that are raw fed can shed more bacteria like salmonella, which is why it's usually preferred that therapy dogs around unwell kids/elderly aren't raw fed. I'm a big fan of raw but I'd stick to dry for now (just my opinion though obviously :) )

Charcoal biscuits definitely helped my old dog!

I wouldn't do raw if you are immunocompromised, it's just not worth the risk. Your health is obviously very important! Aside from the handling of raw meats, there have been reputable studies that show that dogs that are raw fed can shed more bacteria like salmonella, which is why it's usually preferred that therapy dogs around unwell kids/elderly aren't raw fed. I'm a big fan of raw but I'd stick to dry for now (just my opinion though obviously :) )

On the contrary many dogs and people alike get ill from handling kibble. Mainly because people dont treat it as something you should wash your hands after touching, or washing bowls enough.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and commiserations. I'll talk it over with my doctor and see what she says. She's not keen on me cleaning toilets either -- but on the other hand, isn't fussed about doggy licks. She's pretty reasonable so I'll abide by her wishes.

I bought Ernie charcoal biscuits today. And a family size can of Glen 20. :D

"Grain Free" kibble usually uses legumes instead of grains. They can promote flatulence.

At the end of the day, a lot of flatulence is caused by bacteria. The only way to get of those is antibiotics, followed by probiotics to restore balance.

I (not my dog) used to be excessively flatulent, and additionally certain foods would trigger eye-watering emissions. Then I got got a bad case of bacterial food poisoning (overseas) and had to be treated with powerful antibiotics. I eat a lot of yoghurt, so no problem restoring probiotics and since then flatulence has disappeared and those foods nolonger make trouble.

I'm also very careful with the quality of raw food I feed my dogs. Basically they get human grade only.

Just snorted my tea, thank you Ranga.

I feed Ernie a decent diet (see first post) but I'm thinking the brisket bones OR the treats are to blame. I'm currently switching to jerky as a treat and he's been a little better.

Sadly, he took one bite of a charcoal biscuit and looked at me quizzically. I guess labs WONT eat anything.

Just snorted my tea, thank you Ranga.

I feed Ernie a decent diet (see first post) but I'm thinking the brisket bones OR the treats are to blame. I'm currently switching to jerky as a treat and he's been a little better.

Sadly, he took one bite of a charcoal biscuit and looked at me quizzically. I guess labs WONT eat anything.

Bahahaha. Really O.o?

Dozer thinks charcoal bikkies are the best thing on the face of this earth, will do more for one than he will for cheese!

You could try chlorophyll, but you would probably have to mix it with something to get him to eat it.

Like you, my best bet is that the brisket bones and the treats are the main culprits. Have you thought about using cooked meat for treats? I know it is a bit more work than treats from a packet, but it's also cheaper :)

Eta: some dogs just are stickier than others. My two were on the same diet, including treats, and one of them was consistently more stinky than the other.

Edited by raineth

I fed brains the other day as part of Ronin's meal - phwahhh what a stink, Zombie farts are eye wateringly rank :D Sad think is that all I have left in the organ department is a bit of liver and brain so tonight there is a green haze forecast over Joondanna :laugh:

There was a purple haze in the Magnet household tonight as the male occupant got given a lamb neck by the neighbour as an early Christmas oresent. The resident females were left to watch TV with blankets over their heads and a can of Glade in one hand.

The forecast for tomorrow will be better.

Edited by Stressmagnet