Fruits For Dog

pawsitive

Just wondering do you guys give fruits to your dog as treats?

I am aware that many fruits are toxic towards dog and I am feeding blueberries, apple slices (without seeds) and bananas as treats.

Is it a bad idea to feed them fruits as treats?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't forget watermelon!

Citrus, no. Grapes, no. Careful of whole stonefruit (because of the stone) incl mango. And be careful of pawpaw because it tends to reappear at the other end very quickly. :laugh:

Don't bother with nuts. And I think avocado is bad.

Encouraging your dog to try different healthy foods is good. :D

My guys go crazy for fruit. In fact they are currently doing their very best to pick all the apples of our huge apple tree at the moment, cheeky buggers.

Watermelon, Apple and Pear are all favourites. Dante is a huge fan on oranges and lemons but he's a weird dude.

My dogs love fruits! Bananas, pears and berries. They also love green beans- not fruit but they go nuts

1418191744[/url]' post='6608926']
1418191682[/url]' post='6608925']

I used to train a dog who would ,ever so gently, pick her own blackberries :) LOL

Does Dante eat lemons????? or just the peel?

The whole lemon.

Weird!

We have big fruit eaters here. Desert at night= 3 blue berries,1 strawberry & a dollop of yoghurt. Apples,bananas watermelon are also a hit. Blueberries were

recommended by our herbalist Michael Mcdowell for Stella as they can assist her system as she is Epilepsy effected & very anxious.

My two fruit forage and raid our backyard too. Strawberries, apples, tomatoes and lemons are fair game. Zeus eats the entire lemon (we grow the sweeter, less skin Meyer variety) but Kirah isn't too fussed. They had fresh cherries the other day from a friend's cherry tree and they love pineapple, banana, kiwi and anything really. If I can it it, it's fair game!

Oh - our dogs pick up walnuts from under the tree and shell them to enjoy the treat inside - they love them . NEVER FEED MACADAMIAS .

What's wrong with macadamias? Never done it, just curious.

I give a little mango, Apple and strawberry. Not much so it doesn't go through them.

My whippet, Sam, has stripped off all the sour cherries within reach & is now waiting hopefully for the crabapples to ripen. He's very keen on pick your own. And the redder, the better.

Twig, on the other hand, will just have a little slice of banana or apple. That's probably only because Sam wolfs them down & she's not going to let him get away with anything.

My dad's bull terrier would pick & eat grapes from the vine. Didn't seem to cause any problems.

Something in macadamias is very toxic to dogs. I think other nuts are ok but they just pass through. Riley and Quinn stole a bag of blanched almonds once and had almond poops for the next few days. Yesterday I was eating pistachios and wouldn't give them any so Quinn pounced on the bowl of shells. I took as many as I could away but she crunched a few, I can't imagine they were very tasty!

As far as fruits go, I give apple, pear, peach (cut off the stone). I keep meaning to try banana as I've heard so many dogs love it.

They love carrot and often get a carrot as a chew treat instead of a rawhide.

Denali, it's funny but green beans are about the only thing Quinn won't eat! She's a total garbage guts and even though last time I was snacking on green beans she kept asking for them when I gave them to her she'd chew a few times then spit them out :laugh:

Oh - our dogs pick up walnuts from under the tree and shell them to enjoy the treat inside - they love them . NEVER FEED MACADAMIAS .

What's wrong with macadamias? Never done it, just curious.

I give a little mango, Apple and strawberry. Not much so it doesn't go through them.

they are quite toxic .

A friend shared a few with her dog ..and dog collapsed , had to be rushed to the vet , and was a few days getting back to neurologically normal.! it was an expensive lesson :(

Mine love all fruits and veg except, like SG's, will spit out green beans! I regularly feed whole apples and oranges - the apples go very quickly but it takes them a while to peel and eat the oranges. Some are very good at peeling an orange, others do not have the knack and wait for others to start the job then take over!

I would love a macadamia tree in my backyard but cannot plant one simply because of my dogs. They'd eat them for sure, they eat every thing else around here.

They love fruit. I used to buy the cheap juicing apples from the local orchard by the box and just leave it outside for them to help themselves. Now I have 2 apple trees here myself, but I dont expect to get to eat many, they're little tiny hard green lumps at the moment and Tag is already stealing them.

here's Kibah after enjoying some watermelon

4397536336_9ca70fe807_z.jpgWatermelon lips by kirislin, on Flickr

Puck eating pineapple

4891910357_bae9c5585e_z.jpgPuck by kirislin, on Flickr

My darling Penny trying to work out how to get the nectarines that are caught in the net

4139498092_2772fb38f4_z.jpgPenny by kirislin, on Flickr

brute force is called for

4139490084_d1e9d2ebc5.jpgPenny: Nectarine thief by kirislin, on Flickr

4139478690_94a93bc7c5.jpgPenny: Nectarine thief by kirislin, on Flickr

4138708471_6465e1f3e0.jpgPenny: Nectarine thief by kirislin, on Flickr

Tag knows how to pick blackberries

6740828611_8cde7a8498_z.jpgIMG_8322dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

6740811833_34ca2d697f_z.jpgIMG_8320dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Watch out for the prickles Taggy

6740825775_192d2997b8_z.jpgIMG_8321dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Gorgeous pics! I give Nixon new things to try all the time, and we'll often share a banana. The only thing he won't eat so far is mushroom. I love giving him new things, he's always very considered, and gently mouths whatever it is before tasting. Last night he had some cucumber for the first time, and seemed to enjoy it.

We do have 2 macadamia trees and it's a constant worry! Once they're ripe it's fine cos they're too hard to crack, but the tiny green immature ones are a big concern. When they're falling I try to pick them up every day.