Can A De-sexed Bitch Go On Heat?

YOLO

Chloe is a re-home. She was around 18~24 months old when we got her. She had been returned to the breeder as her owners were leaving the country, and we were told that she had been sterilised.

It did not matter to us, as Jasper is definitely neutered and we had no plan to breed Chloe.

I was in two minds over whether to have a bitch sterilised for health reasons, so this relieved me of the decision.

As a general rule, Jasper and Chloe ignore each other (except if there is food on offer) and if anything are a little jealous.

However, periodically they will go through periods when they get quite "amorous," and it reminds of when our previous bitch Coco went on heat. (Dear Coco had her own health issues, so we never subjected her to sterilisation.)

And here's the thing, Chloe has no tattoo in her ear.

I suppose a Vet can tell, I'll just have to ask next time.

Not sure about the first question re. going on heat.

But i do know all vets dont tattoo. The vet i work at currently wont tattoo if requested, and two of my 3 desexed dogs werent tatoo'ed well enough and now they arent visible.

If they dont push hard enough the tatoos dont work very well. So it is a possibility.

It's quite common in cat speys that sometimes a small portion of ovary or ovarian tissue can be accidentally left behind and this can cause a cat to act as though she is in season, I'm honestly not sure about that in canines though. The canine reproductive system is much larger and can't see how that can really happen, but I suppose anythings possible - and not all veterinary clinics tattoo.

Sounds behavioural but if there is any sign of infection or urinary incontinance in the near future go straight to the vet.

My old poodle displayed signs of being in season when I rescued four intact boys, after years of infections (vets didnt know what was wrong with her) she was finally diagnosed with a stump pyometra, vet that desexed her didn't remove enough.

A rather timely question. Our 12 year old bitch has just had surgery to remove her uterine stump and an ovary that was still in there. She was desexed 11.5 years ago but recently started showing signs of infection and became quite swollen (normally her girly bits are so small you can't find them!)

Every 6 months or so she would become a pain in the arse, terrorising the other bitches and teasing the boys. The vet believes that she has been having regular seasons all her life, despite being desexed at a young age. Now we have to keep an eye on her as the vet thinks she is at risk of a flase pregnancy following this latest surgery.

So yes, definitely possible :)

None of our girls have been tattooed either.

Jasper has given up trying to hump, its just they suddenly get extraordinarily playful and start rolling, play-biting, and making funny noises. It's very out of the ordinary for them. However, I suspect that these occurrences (whilst rare) are more frequent than 5~6 monthly.

And no, I haven't noticed any spotting or bleeding.

I thought the tatooing was a universal, but I guess if some vets don't do it, then her's probably didn't.

Edited by Big D

My entire girl has had barely any discharge this time round and is not swollen either - very out of character and it's just fortunate I (and Zig lol) spotted that first drop of blood.The only change I've really noticed is that she's restless as all get out. Classic pro-oestrus behaviour for her but that's all I've got to work with so I'm prog testing.