Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the link and full article of Greyhound Racing NSW Board disbanding in wake of animal welfare failure and the NSW Govt has strengthened and expanded the McHugh Review to develop a new model of governance to ensure the integrity of the industry. Long overdue review and hopefully will address the issues that have dogged this terrible industry for so long :mad

Greyhound Racing NSW board steps down after animal welfare ‘failure

Greyhound Racing NSW board steps down after animal welfare ‘failure’

The Greyhound Racing NSW Board has agreed to disband as the fallout over the sport's live-baiting scandal continues.

NSW Deputy Premier Troy Grant issued a media release detailing the decision, saying the industry's self-regulation had "failed".

"The government takes the issue of animal welfare very seriously," he said.

The Greyhound Racing NSW board has stepped down amid fallout of the live-baiting scandal. (AAP)

Mr Grant, who also services as Racing Minister, also announced the McHugh review into the sport would be strengthened.

He said Justice Michael McHugh would be joined on the review panel by RSPCA CEO Steve Coleman, a NSW Police representative, and Greyhound Racing Industry Consultation Group chairman Ron Arnold.

The sport has been in damage control after an investigation conducted by Four Corners and animal rights groups aired footage on Monday night that appeared to depict the use of piglets, possums and rabbits being used as live lures to train greyhounds.

The practice has been outlawed in Australia for decades.

It is believed by some to make dogs run faster when chasing mechanical lures during races - sparking calls to suspend all greyhound racing due to a suspicion some animals might have an unfair advantage.

Independent federal MP Andrew Wilkie has said the dogs and trainers with an "unfair edge" needed to be identified and disqualified before further races take place.

However, other MPs have attacked the amateur investigators who exposed the scandal, with Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce saying activists could not take the law into their own hands.

Trainers found guilty of using live baits face a $35,000 fine or a maximum two-year jail sentence.

READ THE FULL RELEASE BELOW

Deputy Premier and Minister for Racing Troy Grant today said the Greyhound Racing NSW Board had agreed to step down. Additionally the Board has agreed to stand the CEO aside pending finalisation of Justice McHugh’s review.

The Board has agreed to formally disband and refer their powers to an interim CEO, Paul Newson who is currently head of the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR). Mr Newson will continue the day to day operations and strictly enforce any breaches of the rules of racing including those that make it illegal to live bait in NSW.

“The Government takes the issue of animal welfare very seriously,” Mr Grant said.

“It is clear self-regulation under the current structure and culture within greyhounds has failed.

“The Government is committed to ensuring anyone caught blooding their dogs will be kicked out of the sport for life and we will restore the integrity of the industry.”

The Deputy Premier also announced plans to strengthen and expand the McHugh Review. Justice McHugh will be joined on the review panel by the CEO of RSPCA NSW Steve Coleman, a NSW Police representative and the Chair of the Greyhound Racing Industry Consultation Group Ron Arnold.

“The review will develop a new model of governance to ensure the integrity of the industry and the abhorrent practice of live baiting is stamped out for good,” Mr Grant said.

“Last night I spoke with Justice McHugh and encouraged him to be thorough and leave no stone unturned.

“The Government looks forward to taking the review’s findings to Parliament this year.

“During this time I do not want to tar everyone with the same brush, there are many people working in the industry who are similarly appalled at what has been uncovered.

“This is not a personal reflection on the current board members or executive and I thank them for their contribution to the industry.

“The actions being taken reflect the Government’s belief that now is the appropriate time to shine a light through the entire industry.

“Allegations and innuendo have plagued the greyhound racing industry for decades and it is time we ended that speculation, and ensure the sustainability of the industry and the welfare of animals are paramount.”

The board in NSW being stood down is a scape goat.

The Minister has basically stuck it to the board and GRNSW for their lack of investigation into the matter.

How can GRNSW , the police or even the RSPCA for that matter act how animal liberation and animal rights have in exposing live baiting?

Animal rights do as they please, break the law and use any means right or wrong.

The police, RSPCA and GRNSW are bound by legislation.

:shrug: it's got me beat

Animals Australia haven't taken the law into their own hands, they've only exposed the failings of the law and self regulation. I did wonder though if those caught will use as their defence that the video was taken without permission and by trespass.

Yet somehow the police, RSPCA, and other organisations manage to uncover and stop crimes every single day. Go figure!

yes but they do it within the legislated powers and not by trespass and without warrant.

For GRNSW to act as animal rights and animal lib have, they would have to go vigilante and vigilante activity is not acceptable.

Yet somehow the police, RSPCA, and other organisations manage to uncover and stop crimes every single day. Go figure!

yes but they do it within the legislated powers and not by trespass and without warrant.

For GRNSW to act as animal rights and animal lib have, they would have to go vigilante and vigilante activity is not acceptable.

Unannounced inspections and encouraging a culture of stamping out illegal and unethical practices would help. As I said, other organisations manage to do it, and it's not rocket science. If it's done properly no-one needs to go vigilante. Under the current body this sort of practice has been allowed to grow.

That said, I think giving inspectorate powers to a body funded mostly by charity or commercial activity (the RSPCA) is a huge problem for animal welfare in this country and it needs to be a well regulated and transparent government department. Putting the foxes (GRNSW, for example) in charge of the hen-house inevitably leads to problems.

Animals Australia haven't taken the law into their own hands, they've only exposed the failings of the law and self regulation. I did wonder though if those caught will use as their defence that the video was taken without permission and by trespass.

It is a worry, K, as this argument has been used successfully before. I've forgotten exact details, now, but it think it was used in some of the Live Animal Exports exposes.

Exactly, Aidan2 - extremely selective and "turning a blind eye" takes on whole new dimensions.

I don't think it's got too many people beat, but then it depends on where your sympathies and allegiances lie.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Lets hope Animals Australia don't get their hands on footage about how many thousands of Greyhounds each year are made to "disappear" by those in the industry. It would be even uglier.

So far the warriors fighting the cause of animal rights seem to be:

[ ] RSPCA

[ ] Politicians

[ ]All of the Greyhound Integrity Commissioners

[x] Animal Rights Groups

[x] The ABC

[x] Even Fairfax Media

There are only so many absolute PR disasters any industry can take before the public demands action.

unannounced inspections aren't going to catch our locals, as I've said there aren't technically any greyhounds on the property, it's not a registered trial track, the dogs live with their trainers (those that are chipped, tattooed and registered) the dogs are then taken there.

So in an effort to encourage a culture of reporting this sort of animal abuse, which is what the industry needs if it is to stay viable, I hope the RSPCA, police, or whoever you give your tip off to will follow it up. Otherwise all that is left is animal rights activists working undercover.

unannounced inspections aren't going to catch our locals, as I've said there aren't technically any greyhounds on the property, it's not a registered trial track, the dogs live with their trainers (those that are chipped, tattooed and registered) the dogs are then taken there.

So in an effort to encourage a culture of reporting this sort of animal abuse, which is what the industry needs if it is to stay viable, I hope the RSPCA, police, or whoever you give your tip off to will follow it up. Otherwise all that is left is animal rights activists working undercover.

I'd laugh if I wasn't crying. I

Breaking news - the entire board of Greyhound Racing NSW has stepped down.

From Facebook last night, I learned that racing sponsors are withdrawing their funds ....

Yes, full marks to NSW Government, they said to the Board, resign or be sacked. They resigned.

Qld reported that a major sponsor, Macro Meats, immediately pulled its funds. The CEO of that company issued a blunt statement of disgust. Also an ex-Brisbane Lions player, who was an ambassador for Greyhound Racing Qld, also immediately pulled his support.

Saw a brief interview with an owner/trainer who said it's been rife for ages. And that he had lodged a complaint, but nothing came of it. Sure looks like 'failure & ignoring the situation' went right to the top.

Edited by mita

DD, I meant failure to regulate their industry for the greyhounds' welfare. The job of a board is regulation.

I know, Mita. What I am saying is that people at all levels would have known about all these horrible practises and it would have been a deliberate decision to do nothing. Welfare is secondary to making money.

A little O/T, but I looked up Racing Qld's webpages to see if they had a statement of principles & practices re 'Integrity' (they have something called 'Integrity Services').

I found a promotional page called 'Girls on Track'. Silly me thought it was about the female greys. No, the 'girls' include women trainers. Go look at the poses selected for the two women greyhound trainers. Looks more like trying to be borderline cheesey modelling. Not a greyhound in sight... they hold an empty collar & lead. Speaks volumes, in my opinion.

http://www.racingqueensland.com.au/girls-on-track.aspx

Edited by mita

[

We should go see what the people who know about the law... & who are also committed to animal welfare... have to say. I saw someone from the Barristers' Panel on Animal Welfare commenting on the greyhound issue. I looked up their website & found this.... which didn't surprise me:

"Dr. Siobhan O’Sullivan is a Research Fellow at the School of Social and Political Sciences at the University of Melbourne. Siobhan has a long-standing interest in animal protection. In 2000 she conducted honours research into the link between the modern institution of private property, and poor animal welfare standards."

Conducting 'surveillance' on private property is not easy... as others have already said, especially when the property is in an isolated location.

This Barristers' Panel seems very formidable.... their patron is the great former Chief Justice, Michael Kirby who's also patron of the Animals Welfare League. I'd like to hear more from them.

http://bawp.org.au/secretariat/

Edited by mita