Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

I am appalled that they are being given more money to regulate when they couldn't do it in the first place!

Changing a dogs ownership is all that will happen and they will carry on.

So far not impressed , they deserve to see it banned.

Me too. And they shouldn't be allowed to transfer the dogs into another persons name.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..... The dogs are the losers in all this. ....

I'd really thought that the possums and piglets were the losers. The sympathy expressed has done a big shift from the original victims to the spin-off victims. Of course the massive possible numbers of greys being affected is horrendous, but there are not "that" many people as concerned about the rabbits, guineas, cockerels and other small animals. What happens to the (?hundreds?) already in cages just awaiting being killed in terror and agony around various "facilities". Bet they won't be thoughtfully disposed of - they will be doubly ill treated as lash-out punishment by the thugs involved - let alone deprived food and water which I doubt is ever involved in their management in any case.

Grumpette they are good links you have in your posts.

I'd really thought that the possums and piglets were the losers. The sympathy expressed has done a big shift from the original victims to the spin-off victims. Of course the massive possible numbers of greys being affected is horrendous, but there are not "that" many people as concerned about the rabbits, guineas, cockerels and other small animals. What happens to the (?hundreds?) already in cages just awaiting being killed in terror and agony around various "facilities". Bet they won't be thoughtfully disposed of - they will be doubly ill treated as lash-out punishment by the thugs involved - let alone deprived food and water which I doubt is ever involved in their management in any case.

Yes, you're right :(

Update in Sydney Morning Herald from Greyhound Racing NSW interim chief executive Paul Newson - link and full article below:

Greyhound racing live baiting revelations should be a turning point for industry, says new chief executive

Date: February 19, 2015 - 11:17PM

Community outrage: Greyhound racing is a sport in crisis.

Greyhound Racing NSW interim chief executive Paul Newson believes Monday night's Four Corners program on live baiting should be a turning point for the industry.

The community outrage at the images of piglets, possums and rabbits being strapped to lures to blood greyhounds has been overwhelming.

GRNSW has lifted its level of security amid fears protesters may attack officials at tracks on Friday with red paint to symbolise blood.

Tough job: Interim Greyhound Racing NSW chief executive Paul Newson speaks to the media on Thursday.

In a further blow to the industry, champion Londonderry trainer Harry Sarkis has been suspended pending an inquiry into vials of banned substances found at his kennels during an inspection.

Sarkis has trained champion dogs for more than 20 years, including Tenthill Doll and Kristy's Charity, and reportedly paid $800,000 for Brett Lee at the end of its career.

Newson, who is the head of the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing, was put into the interim chief executive role after Brent Hogan and the GRNSW board agreed to stand down on Wednesday night.

Newson was quickly on the front foot about the image of the sport.

"I watched it [the Four Corners program] on Monday; it was difficult to watch because it was morally offensive," he said. "Until that got aired there was not this awareness of the issue, there was not this recognition of this problem [of live baiting]. I recognised there has been rumour and innuendo within the industry about this matter. Monday night was a turning point, it introduced shocking footage, distressing footage. As a result, the government has taken decisive action."

Hogan is officially on "gardening leave" until former High Court judge Michael McHugh completes a review into the industry, which was announced on Monday night.

Newson is focused on keeping the sport running, but also putting in place strategies to beef up the integrity of the sport.

"For me, it is about steering the operations of Greyhound Racing NSW, but also moving quickly to sure up the integrity of the industry," Newson said.

"I definitely anticipate looking at the organisation, looking at its structures, looking at its operations and seeing where they just have failed or contributed to the failure in this matter.

"What is good practice? What can be done around governance arrangements, what regulatory oversights were there, what can be done to sure them up. I will be looking at [GRNSW] and asking, 'Is there anything about its structure and organisation that has contributed to this failure'? And if there are, I will be move on it."

In announcing the changes at GRNSW, racing minister Troy Grant also strengthened and expanded the power of the McHugh review.

"The review will develop a new model of governance to ensure the integrity of the industry and the abhorrent practice of live baiting is stamped out for good," Grant said.

"I spoke with Justice McHugh and encouraged him to be thorough and leave no stone unturned. Allegations and innuendo have plagued the greyhound racing industry for decades and it is time we ended that speculation and ensure the sustainability of the industry and the welfare of animals are paramount."

The fallout from the explosive Four Corners program continued with another six NSW trainers under investigation by GRNSW for involvement in live baiting.

It has already stood down 10 trainers for allegedly being involved in live baiting and a number of other trainers in Victoria and Queensland have been stood down and are facing life bans from the sport.

I doubt if attempts to stop the transfer of dogs into other people's names will make much of a difference.

Most of these trainers will be "public trainers" which means they probably have some of their own dogs in their own names but many of the high profile trainers have syndicated dogs in their care that belong to others and they are simply paid based on performance, they usually do not have any property rights over the animal.

As far as I can see the likes of Keybow are not owned by Darren McDonald. That dog will continue to be raced (if not already retired) , as it's the trainer licence that has been suspended. If those caught live baiting are owner/trainers, that would put a halt to the animal racing (unless transfers can take place)

How this plays out will be dependant on the rules and regs of GRNSW GRVIC etc.

I can see immediate court challenges if attempts are made to deregister any syndicated dogs and dogs not owned outright by the trainers suspected of live baiting.

There will be lawyers tied up with this for months if not years with this. If successful prosecutions aren't made by the RSPCA, I don't see a lot changing.

from FB:

"URGENT: FOSTER CARERS NEEDED!!!

Not only do we need carers for the dogs we currently have on our waiting list, but we also have this girl to come into care urgently!!!

This beautiful fawn girls name is Skye. She is 5 1/2yrs old & has been retired from racing for approx. 5 months.

Her owner was going to keep her for a pet, but after this weeks media coverage, it seems his real estate is not feeling very generous towards greyhounds and has told him that she needs to go!!

Skye is still living in a kennel situation at the moment, but her family has cats, guinea pigs and Chihuahuas. Skye's owner said that she does not show any prey drive towards these at all & they come right up to her kennel, without her even getting up!!!

This girl is located in Tamworth and needs to be moved urgently... Even if you can offer her a home for a little, it while will be greatly appreciated!"

Skye is now safe but there are other report's of large amounts of greyhounds being off loaded onto rescue. One groups says they have 50 from one property.

And did the real estate actually say it was because of the media report or are they just guessing? Sounds like another person wanting a dog and being upset that the application was knocked back for it, are we now meant to blame the media for every application of a dog that gets knocked back, some landlords just don't want ANY dogs in their properties and they have a right to say no, I think its just a unfounded accusation.

:clap:

I agree Grumpette, the poor innocent dogs are the loosers, but then they have been all along. I would like the GRV to stop the dogs of trainers found to be live baiting to be transferred into another persons name. They need to be retired, sad as that is. Perhaps the trainers should also be made to contribute to their lifelong care with $$$ in the form of fines, a bit like a bequest that is made for animals by owners when they (the owners) die.

it would be quite simple.. 30 days before the investigation was revealed should be the cut off date for transfers of dogs for any person who comes under investigation until they are proven innocent or guilty

H

According to this article in today's Daily Telegraph , this guy "owns up to 700 dogs, breeds about 300 pups a year" :eek::mad - surprise surprise at him being upset and angry and stating it was the "wrong decision to dump Greyhounds NSW board". Owning and breeding this number of dogs is everything that is repulsive about the greyhound racing industry and his "ignorance" of live baiting in the industry is very questionable :mad

Owner and breeder Paul Wheeler says live baiting disgrace tars the innocent

February 19, 2015 8:26PM

Greyhound breeder Paul Wheeler is angry the industry is being “tarred with the one brush” because of the actions of a few.

PAUL Wheeler, the country’s biggest greyhound owner and breeder, said the live baiting saga was “bloody disgraceful’’, and for all his years in the sport he had never heard of pigs or possums being used as live bait.

Wheeler owns up to 700 dogs, breeds about 300 pups a year, but was absolutely stunned when he witnessed the gruesome footage on the ABC’s Four Corners.

Described by some as “the Sheikh Mohammed of Australian greyhound racing’’, Wheeler won about $4 million in prizemoney last year, including the Group 1 Melbourne Cup with Dyna Villa.

Nobody puts more back into the game than Wheeler, whose state-of-the-art stud is based in the NSW cherry town of Young.

If there is any threat to sponsorship or prizemoney as a result of the live baiting expose, Wheeler would clearly be one of the main players hurt.

But the 60-year-old Wheeler was more angry at the fact an entire industry had been “tarred with the one brush’’ because of the actions of a few. Things had become so bad, his wife Jan had become embarrassed to go to the local shops because of her association with the sport.

Wheeler added the NSW Government had made a “knee-jerk reaction’’ putting the hard word on the Greyhound Racing NSW board to stand down, and chief executive Brent Hogan was one of the smartest operators he had come across.

Paul and Jan Wheeler with some of their dogs.

Paul and Jan Wheeler with some of their dogs.

“It’s bloody disgraceful. The way the whole thing has played out, everyone assumes the whole industry is doing this, and it’s totally wrong,’’ Wheeler said.

Asked if he was aware of live baiting, Wheeler said: “No. I’ve never seen pigs or possums used. And I haven’t seen rabbits used in a long, long time.

“We own about 650 to 700 dogs, and breed about 250 to 300 pups a year, and we’re racing throughout the whole nation.

“To my knowledge, none of the trainers associated with our dogs are involved in any of this stuff. We are not. It’s just so disappointing.’’

While not wanting to get bogged down in the politics, Wheeler did believe it was a wrong decision to dump the board.

“(By doing so), it appears to me to be political because there is an election coming up,’’ Wheeler said.

really? he'd never heard of pigs or possums being used as live bait??? I find that very hard to believe. I'd heard of possums being used when I was a kid. My brother caught one and was all excited because a man had offered him $5 for it. My mother was very upset and made him release the possum, that was hiding in our bathroom and had to be dragged out and she knew what they did with them. It was obviously common knowledge because we weren't involved in the sport at all back then.

What about shooting a grey if it doesn't make the grade as a racer? Or keeping the greys hungry in the belief that it gives them more will to run after the lure?

Both were told to me by the decent greyhound owner-trainer who lived next door. He rescued a big, good-natured boy from a colleague who was going to shoot him because he couldn't run fast. Boofy became a great favourite pet among neighbours. It was commonplace, it seemed.

He also told us about the keeping hungry 'trick', in the context of talking about his opposite beliefs re good food & nutrition for his greys. He accepted it as commonplace.

I think it was Neil Mitchell who's been quoted as saying, as long as people have animal 'sports' they bet money on, there'll be welfare problems for the animals involved.

Edited by mita

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/2895226/let-my-dogs-race-owners-greyhounds-banned-after-trainer-suspended/?cs=103

ORANGE owner-trainer Greg Board is in limbo after three of his top dogs were pulled from racing by Greyhound Racing Victoria because they were trained by suspended trainer Darren McDonald.

On Thursday Board’s solicitor Tim Dalla was pursuing legal action to have the dogs released to their owner, saying Board is a third party in the issue who is being penalised because of alleged illegal activity by another trainer.

“It was something he was not aware of,” Mr Dalla said.

He said the three dogs, which were being trained by McDonald in a 50-50 prizemoney arrangement, not being able to race would impact heavily on Board.

Board told the Central Western Daily he had three dogs - Armed and Ready, Spring Missile and Kevlar - being trained in Victoria by McDonald, who was suspended for allegedly using live animals to train greyhounds.

“They’ve taken me out of the derby at Ballarat and out of the races at The Meadows - I want them to lift the ban,” Board said.

Board said he was confident the crisis in the industry would “blow over”.

“I certainly don’t condone this behaviour in any way,” he said.

“I have been in the industry for 40 years and when I started live baiting was the norm - but all that’s changed now, there are different standards.”

Both Board and Ginn were critical of the RSPCA’s response to the live baiting issue, saying the animal welfare agency had not acted quickly enough when they became aware of the improper training practices in the greyhound racing industry.

RSPCA New South Wales media liaison spokeswoman Jessica Conway said in this state the animal welfare body was notified on February 2 of potential live baiting, with the first inspection carried out on February 11.

“There are no trainers currently under investigation in your area,” Ms Conway said.

Board said while he believed changes needed to be made at board level of Greyhound Racing NSW, he was surprised the whole board had been dismissed.

“What we do need though is strong representation on the board from people involved in the industry - not accountants and lawyers,” he said.]

He will have his Greyhounds returned and either self trained or put in the hands of another trainer. The dogs are technically his property.

The only issue is how long it will take. Greyhound careers are very short and could all but be over by the time they sort this out .

Edited by WreckitWhippet

Don't you just love this excuse from one of the greyhound trainers who was suspended after stewards and RSPCA raided his property last week :mad

Trainer Bruce Carr says rabbits were for his son to eat, not live bait for greyhounds

ONE of the 10 greyhound racing participants stood down over the live-baiting scandal on Thursday night sensationally claimed rabbits were only found on his property — because his son liked to eat them.

Bruce Carr, a trainer who also breaks in dogs, was suspended after stewards and the RSPCA raided his Londonderry property last week.

Nine other participants have since been stood down in NSW, while stewards assisted the RSPCA to try to identify another six people of interest who featured on the damning Four Corners report that sent the sport into a spin.

There were four live rabbits discovered on Carr’s property last Friday, but the 70-year-old told The Daily Telegraph they were not used illegally as live bait to educate dogs, but as a delicacy for his son.

“That is the truth, the four white rabbits belong to my son, he’s had rabbits for about 10 years and he likes to eat them,’’ Carr said. “The only problem is I have greyhounds (on the same property).’’

Asked if he was aware of live baiting in the area, Carr ­offered a “no comment’’.

He did stand by his story, however, and hoped he would be cleared and allowed to continue his career, which has spanned 30 years.

The graphic footage shown by Four Corners showed live rabbits, piglets and possums being illegally used as live bait for dogs to chase. The theory behind the illegal practice is that it improves a slow dog.

Stunned and embarrassed by the gruesome scenes beamed on the ABC, the Baird government stepped in late on Wednesday and told the Greyhound Racing NSW board to stand down or be sacked.

Paul Newson, head of the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing, was on Thursday appointed interim CEO.

The man he replaced, Brent Hogan, could not be contacted. Sources said he was enjoying a quiet drink with friends at a pub in western Sydney.

Several other trainers also couldn’t be reached on Thursday, with at least one, Ian Morgan, hanging up immediately.

The six participants of ­interest to the RSPCA are all believed to reside in the Richmond area, on the northwest outskirts of Sydney. None are high-profile players, which ­explains why stewards have struggled to identify them.

There were reports more sponsors had elected to scale back their involvement in the sport, or walk away altogether.

It also emerged Golden Easter Egg-winning trainer Harry Sarkis had been stood down, but for a positive swab and not live baiting.

Turnover on the greyhounds actually rose at Richmond on Wednesday, despite Monday night’s program portraying the industry in a shocking light.

The win and place pools on the NSW TAB for Richmond were $163,550 and $50,390 ­respectively across all 10 races, which was up on the two corresponding Wednesdays.

As boss of the OLGR, Newson had heard the ­rumours about greyhound racing, “For some time ... but up until Monday night we’d certainly never been presented with any evidence and certainly not anything as shocking and distressing as the footage that was aired,’’ he said.

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/2895226/let-my-dogs-race-owners-greyhounds-banned-after-trainer-suspended/?cs=103

He will have his Greyhounds returned and either self trained or put in the hands of another trainer. The dogs are technically his property.

The only issue is how long it will take. Greyhound careers are very short and could all but be over by the time they sort this out .

The life, if you can call it that, of a racing greyhound is shocking :cry: Below are some details on greyhound racing from Ainimals Australia - greyhound racing http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issues/greyhound-racing.php

Born and bred to race or die

In the greyhound racing industry, the key to success and profitability for breeders and trainers is to have fast dogs. But only 60% of the estimated 20,000 greyhound pups born each year have the athletic capabilities and top speed to become a racing dog. Bred for no other purpose than to race and win, around 8,000 young and healthy greyhounds are discarded and killed each year without ever making it to the racetrack.

Racing life

The greyhounds who do make it to the track are put at significant risk of sustaining serious injuries, such as broken hocks or legs, or head trauma, during training and racing. Up to 200 dogs are reported injured during official races each week. Some even die from cardiac arrest due to the extreme physical intensity of racing. On many occasions the injuries are 'uneconomical' to treat and the owner will instead have the dog killed. On average around 5 dogs are killed at official races each week as a result of greyhound racing. Off the track their lives may not be much better — oftentimes being kept in tiny barren pens or kennels for the majority of their lives, only released to train or race. Racing greyhounds are not commonly kept as companion animals.

Information from greyhound rescue groups also indicates that many rescued racing greyhounds have been underfed, possibly because they have been kept on a restricted diet to keep them at a lean racing weight.

Retirement

Once a racing greyhound is not fast enough to win races, his or her career soon comes to an end. Around 12,000 greyhounds are 'retired' each year and for most dogs this is between the ages of two and four. The industry classifies these dogs as 'retired', but whilst a greyhound's natural lifespan would be 12 to 14 years, very few will live to that age. Some ex-racers go into breeding programs, but will then likely be killed at age 5-6 years. Only a small number of 'retirees' — estimated at around 10% (or 2,000) of all pups born each year will get to enjoy their retirement in a loving home. The vast majority are killed once they have served their (racing) purpose. Other, perfectly healthy dogs are given to university veterinary faculties where they may be killed for use in teaching and training.

Many ex-racers have very poor teeth due to being fed a broth-like substance filled with supplements their whole life.

As a breed, their ability to accept often intolerable conditions from birth and still turn into great pets is incredible.

Looks like many big sponsors have pulled the plug including McDonalds

Animals Australia's Facebook page has Schweppes, Hyundai, Bendigo Bank and Autobarn saying they're 'done with greyhound racing'.

Both theirs & Animal Liberation Qld websites have glowing descriptions of the greyhound breed ... lovely dogs. I'd back that. Racers & ex-racers I met through GAP were the nicest all-round dogs.

I wonder if the NSW Enquiry will be asking if greyhound racing can continue, in line with expectations these days on how dogs should be treated?

I've seen, up close, an owner/trainer who treated his greys very well ... & so did his friends. But the big question is how standards like his, could be enforced. Especially when there's money riding on the greyhounds' backs. Money can count more than welfare for some people.

Edited by mita

Looks like many big sponsors have pulled the plug including McDonalds

Animals Australia's Facebook page has Schweppes, Hyundai, Bendigo Bank and Autobarn saying they're 'done with greyhound racing'.

Both theirs & Animal Liberation Qld websites have glowing descriptions of the greyhound breed ... lovely dogs. I'd back that. Racers & ex-racers I met through GAP were the nicest all-round dogs.

I wonder if the NSW Enquiry will be asking if greyhound racing can continue, in line with expectations these days on how dogs should be treated?

I've seen, up close, an owner/trainer who treated his greys very well ... & so did his friends. But the big question is how standards like his, could be enforced. Especially when there's money riding on the greyhounds' backs. Money can count more than welfare for some people.

I believe it will be - the following quote is an excerpt from an article on news.com.au website published this morning in the following link

news.com.au article re Greyhound NSW Board being stood down

Earlier yesterday, Premier Mike Baird had foreshadowed action as drastic as a shutdown of the industry was possible.

Asked if greyhound racing should be suspended Mr Baird said: “I still remain horrified by what we’ve seen. Greyhounds NSW is undertaking an investigation as is (the) RSPCA.

“I can tell you that absolutely everything is on the table. I don’t think anyone in this state wants to see any of those scenes repeated here in NSW or across the country and I can assure they won’t.

“We need to understand what steps we can take to achieve that.”

Asked why not an immediate suspension, Mr Baird said: “We are taking advice. But what the people of this state can take comfort in is we’re going to do everything we possibly can to ensure we do not see those images which are just horrific.”