Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

I have a friend who is a barrister and she thinks the evidence might be accepted by the judge, cant remember exactly how she phrased it but something about "good cause".

Even if the evidence is not accepted, it will lead to another round of media reporting and re-fresh the public's memory.

So will each of the investigations under way.

It is like shining a light under a rock.

Oh joy for an industry used to getting its own way through the cover provided by the various gaming ministers.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a friend who is a barrister and she thinks the evidence might be accepted by the judge, cant remember exactly how she phrased it but something about "good cause".

Even if the evidence is not accepted, it will lead to another round of media reporting and re-fresh the public's memory.

So will each of the investigations under way.

It is like shining a light under a rock.

Oh joy for an industry used to getting its own way through the cover provided by the various gaming ministers.

Lyn White's report on News media today says it all.

Article in SMH shows how new laws, called ag gag, that are being proposed would prevent Animals Australia & others from conducting such cruelty investigations in the future. The present laws re trespass would be made more severe & activists would not be allowed to distribute any pictures taken.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/new-laws-could-stop-revelations-of-animal-abuse-20150217-13go4u.html

Animals Australia also shows how our taxes are enormously propping up the greyhound 'industry'. I didn't know that:

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/greyhound-racing-money-trail.php

Edited by mita

Article in SMH shows how new laws, called ag gag, that are being proposed would prevent Animals Australia & others from conducting such cruelty investigations in the future. The present laws re trespass would be made more severe & activists would not be allowed to distribute any pictures taken.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/new-laws-could-stop-revelations-of-animal-abuse-20150217-13go4u.html

Animals Australia also shows how our taxes are enormously propping up the greyhound 'industry'. I didn't know that:

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/greyhound-racing-money-trail.php

money will always be protected..

as with all situations such as this the industry protects itself and justifies this along the lines well we have to look after the welfare of the dogs.. sadly the dogs will be the collateral damage in this ( as are all animals when the proverbial shit hits the fan)

YOU BET : THEY DIE

I applaud the ethical trainers I applaud the incredible devotion of the grey rehomers .. and I question the ethics of all who knew that this was going on and chose to do/say nothing ..

H

I looked up the new Minister who'd cover animal welfare in Qld. It's Bill Byrne from Rockhampton. He's both the Minister for Agriculture (covers animal welfare) & the Minister for Sports & Racing. The greyhound welfare issues takes in both.

And I'm not impressed with his comments on the 4 Corners program. Calls the 'bad' trainers 'mongrels' & refuses to believe that greyhound racing has lots of people like that. But in the same breath says there's not been an investigation which shows the extent.

Don't like the sound of him.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-racing-minister-bill-byrne-speaks-out-on-four-corners-20150217-13h3gb.html

He's already a member of a racing club...Rockhampton Jockey Club. Greyhound racing comes under the same umbrella. So how independent will his opinions be?

Can we borrow the bloke from the NSW Government who was far more forthright in his response?

Edited by mita

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-racing-minister-bill-byrne-speaks-out-on-four-corners-20150217-13h3gb.html

He's already a member of a racing club...Rockhampton Jockey Club. Greyhound racing comes under the same umbrella. So how independent will his opinions be?

Can we borrow the bloke from the NSW Government who was far more forthright in his response?

Think this "forthright" response is due to the fact NSW has an upcoming State election next month (28/3/2015) :D so they need to be seen doing something quickly to quell the growing furore about the animal cruelty aired on Four Corners and the greyhound industry in general. After the Four Corners expose, the NSW Govt appointed High Court justice Michael McHugh to conduct a review of the NSW greyhound industry and as the furore grew louder, they forced the Greyhound NSW Board to resign and CEO to step aside and expanded and strengthened the review to be conducted by High Court justice Michael McHugh.

In an ABC report, the now temporarily suspended CEO of Greyhound Racing NSW Brent Hogan, stated he did not have access to the same capabilities as Animals Australia to investigate. Pointedly, the Minister said he had never been informed of the issue by Mr Hogan, nor were any resources asked for..

I guess plausible deniability is important to the Minister.

It is almost hilarious to think how toxic those in the industry have become so quickly during an election campaign when just a few days ago if any pollie was ever asked, they woud reply along the lines of the NT spokesperson eg, There is no evidence of abuse, we have a strict compliance regime in place, we have made great strides in animal welfare, etc, etc.

Yeah, sure.

Animals Australia haven't taken the law into their own hands, they've only exposed the failings of the law and self regulation. I did wonder though if those caught will use as their defence that the video was taken without permission and by trespass.

As I see it they kinda have taken the law into their own hands by setting up hidden cameras on the properties which comes down to trespass as I am sure they didn't have permission to be on the land. As much as I am happy that this has been exposed and people can now do something about it I kinda don't want to go down the road of letting anyone set up cameras on my property regardless if I am law abiding I will be ok as it is an invasion of privacy.

I can't see how the videos will be able to be used in the courts as evidence and the media trial has already began so I can see them using that as a means to try and get let off.

Animals Australia haven't taken the law into their own hands, they've only exposed the failings of the law and self regulation. I did wonder though if those caught will use as their defence that the video was taken without permission and by trespass.

As I see it they kinda have taken the law into their own hands by setting up hidden cameras on the properties which comes down to trespass as I am sure they didn't have permission to be on the land. As much as I am happy that this has been exposed and people can now do something about it I kinda don't want to go down the road of letting anyone set up cameras on my property regardless if I am law abiding I will be ok as it is an invasion of privacy.

I can't see how the videos will be able to be used in the courts as evidence and the media trial has already began so I can see them using that as a means to try and get let off.

It's an invasion of privacy and trespass, although one could argue that the end result justifies the means.

We've all seen how animal rights have torn apart and shattered the lives of breeders that were supposedly doing the wrong thing, the illegally gained footage showed a Collie breeder to be cruel and neglectful when in the cold light of day they weren't.

Obviously these people cannot deny what they were doing was cruel and illegal.

Perhaps this should be the catalyst to scrap the RSPCA powers and return it to "all creatures great and small" and establish a Government body within DPI or similar

Think this "forthright" response is due to the fact NSW has an upcoming State election next month (28/3/2015) :D so they need to be seen doing something quickly to quell the growing furore about the animal cruelty aired on Four Corners and the greyhound industry in general. After the Four Corners expose, the NSW Govt appointed High Court justice Michael McHugh to conduct a review of the NSW greyhound industry and as the furore grew louder, they forced the Greyhound NSW Board to resign and CEO to step aside and expanded and strengthened the review to be conducted by High Court justice Michael McHugh.

And, labadore, I've been lamenting the fact that we in Qld have just had an election! Long time before we can show disapproval at the ballot box.

I've just written to the new Minister in Qld & pointed out that, in his interview with Brisbane Times, he pre-empted any enquiry, by saying that there's no way most greyhound trainers were like these 'mongrels' (his ill chosen word). Then in the same breath he says there's no overall info on what goes on. No plans, though, for an independent enquiry like in NSW.... oh for a High Court Justice, like Michael McHugh.

I pointed out to him that 'mongrels' were just mixed breed dogs.... dogs like any other. Inappropriate to use for cruelty by humans.

Good luck to RSPCA Qld, having this bloke as the Minister covering Animal Welfare!

To be fair, I looked up any later comment by Qld's Bill Bryne. I'd say he's since been helped to more relevant language. And he's willing to consider changes to laws, if required. But he's still avoiding the elephant in the room, Greyhound Racing authority CEO & Board who did not act, even tho' the activists told them last year about the evidence. A fresh start is needed at the top. And he's still just making assumptions about how widespread the cruelty is ...without any enquiry:

Queensland's new Racing Minister Bill Byrne said although laws were more than adequate to deal "these sorts of acts of barbarism" he would take them further if needed.

"Now I'm not about shutting out the sport of greyhound racing, I am about shutting down what appears to be sociopathic behaviour with some elements of the industry," he said.

"If we've got to go harder, clearly we do, then I'll be part of that."

I've been thinking about this some more and they could start by imposing the rule that no animal dead or alive is to be used on a lure, drag, flirt pole or as a training aid of any kind. All drags, lures etc can only have synthetic components.

Take the dead bunnies off the tracks on trial days.

Exactly. Because obviously notices like this a) don't work and b) show that something iffy is going on for the notice to go up in the first place. This was taken at Tooradin.

post-16399-0-33120000-1424338167_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking about this some more and they could start by imposing the rule that no animal dead or alive is to be used on a lure, drag, flirt pole or as a training aid of any kind. All drags, lures etc can only have synthetic components.

Take the dead bunnies off the tracks on trial days.

Exactly. Because obviously notices like this a) don't work and b) show that something iffy is going on for the notice to go up in the first place. This was taken at Tooradin.

post-16399-0-33120000-1424338167_thumb.jpg

This surprises me because when I was driving the lure at Healesville the track manager told me that the GRV had brought in the rule that only dried and cured skins could be used, no freshly killed animals were allowed on any track in Vic, and that was about 4 years ago at least.

And still absolutely no response from GRV, which is appalling considering the number of Victorians involved. They are hiding behind the "we cannot say or acknowledge anything just in case we jeopardise the legal case".

"Suspended persons unable to be named immediately

Tuesday, 17 February, 2015

As outrage within the greyhound racing industry and wider community continues in the aftermath of allegations of live baiting in greyhound racing, attention is now turning to authorities to name and prosecute the ten registered persons, suspended last Friday, at the centre of the scandal.

GRV’s General Manager of Integrity, Racing and Welfare said there are complexities to the investigation of an unprecedented case like this that made the naming of the suspended persons problematic.

“We understand the public’s desire for swift action and are aware the Four Corner program named certain participants. They don’t have to prosecute the case. Having regard for legal advice received we are unable, at this time, to confirm the persons who have had their registrations suspended. We have immediately suspended all the individuals identified from evidence provided to us and will work hard to identify others as more information comes to hand,” Canty said.

“It is our intention, as well as the demand of most people in the sport, to drive these rogue elements out. The investigation will take time because it is extremely important we follow due legal process. We want our charges to stick, and we want the RSPCA’s charges to stick,” he added.

GRV is continuing with its investigation and is assisting the RSPCA in their efforts to bring about justice in the shortest time possible."

I don't know why considering 5 have been named already, and one has transferred the ownership of two dogs into his wife's name so that they could race in Ballarat on Wednesday.

This may also explain why:

Covering for mates maybe?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-17/leading-greyhound-figure-bob-smith-live-baiting-controversy/6131244

from FB:

"URGENT: FOSTER CARERS NEEDED!!!

Not only do we need carers for the dogs we currently have on our waiting list, but we also have this girl to come into care urgently!!!

This beautiful fawn girls name is Skye. She is 5 1/2yrs old & has been retired from racing for approx. 5 months.

Her owner was going to keep her for a pet, but after this weeks media coverage, it seems his real estate is not feeling very generous towards greyhounds and has told him that she needs to go!!

Skye is still living in a kennel situation at the moment, but her family has cats, guinea pigs and Chihuahuas. Skye's owner said that she does not show any prey drive towards these at all & they come right up to her kennel, without her even getting up!!!

This girl is located in Tamworth and needs to be moved urgently... Even if you can offer her a home for a little, it while will be greatly appreciated!"

Skye is now safe but there are other report's of large amounts of greyhounds being off loaded onto rescue. One groups says they have 50 from one property.

An update on GRV's response

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/greyhound-live-baiting-scandal-races-go-on-owners-turn-to-lawyers/story-fni0fiyv-1227224662156

TEN greyhound trainers accused of using live animals to train their dogs have been named and shamed as another five people were suspended.

A week after ten people were suspended for alleged live baiting at the Tooradin Trial Track, their names were released tonight by Greyhound Racing Victoria’s board.

Among the alleged offenders was Tony Mills, a veteran trainer who won the Ken Carr Medal in 2013, considered the industry’s top award.

Former GRV operations manager Bob Smith, two-time trainer of the year Darren McDonald, Cranbourne greyhound club president Neville King and Mr Mill’s son Stuart — the owner of the Tooradin track — were also suspended.

Other names included Paul Anderton, Kerry Chalker, Chris Connelly, Laurie Cunningham and Dennis Dean.

GRV stewards today reviewed sickening surveillance footage from the track which obtained by welfare group of Animals Australia.

“In accordance with the advice of the chief steward, the board resolved to suspend the registrations of an additional five persons for alleged live baiting offences,” the board said in a statement.

They were not named due to legal advice received by GRV.

Premier Daniel Andrews said earlier today the greyhound racing industry may not survive the live baiting scandal that has engulfed the sport.

“It’s done enormous damage to the code,” Mr Andrews told SEN.

“I don’t know whether this damage can in fact be repaired. But we’ll support the industry to try and clean up their act.”

Greyhound Racing Victoria is under renewed pressure this morning as their NSW counterparts were forced to step down by Racing Minister Tony Grant.

Mr Andrews refused to take the same action in Victoria until two separate investigations into live baiting were completed.

But he called on Greyhound Racing Victoria to “step up”.

“They’ll only get one chance at this,” Mr Andrews said.

“We can’t have this continue. It’s just barbaric, it’s sickening and it’s just not on.”

It comes amid revelations that GRV knew the sickening practice of live-baiting had been secretly simmering away since at least 2009.

A Shepparton trainer was charged by GRV stewards in 2009 with “(using) an animal for the purpose of training greyhounds in a manner which was improper”.

He pleaded not guilty but was suspended for a year, a punishment which was later reduced to a nine-month ban by the Racing Appeals Tribunal.

The Herald Sun has been told the trainer was caught on camera by a person who was driving past a training track in the Shepparton area.

A source said the trainer was “definitely” using a live rabbit to train one of his dogs and the person who saw it reported it to GRV, forcing an investigation.

During the trainer’s ban, he transferred his dogs into his wife’s name.

The Victorian Government is not taking action against Greyhound Racing Victoria, despite their NSW counterparts last night forcing the board of Greyhound Racing NSW to step down amid damning revelations of widespread live-baiting.

The NSW Racing Minister Tony Grant this morning confirmed the bosses of Greyhound Racing NSW bowed to his demands that they resign and refer their powers to an interim chief executive.

“The Government takes the issue of animal welfare very seriously,” Mr Grant said.

“It is clear self-regulation under the current structure and culture within greyhounds has failed.

“The government is committed to ensuring anyone caught blooding their dogs will be kicked out of the sport for life and we will restore the integrity of the industry.”

A spokeswoman for Victorian Racing Minister Martin Pakula said a similar move was not being considered.

She said the government would await the findings of an independent investigation by the Racing Integrity Commissioner before a decision would be made.

This comes as greyhound owners whose dogs have been suspended as a result of the live-baiting scandal are threatening legal action in a bid to keep racing.

The $3 billion industry ­remained in panic yesterday as the fallout continued over the shocking footage of live possums, piglets and rabbits being torn to pieces by dogs at a ­Tooradin training track.

AFL hero Jonathan Brown quit as an ambassador for greyhound racing in Queensland.

BARBARIC GREYHOUND TRAINERS FACE JAIL, LIFE BANS

TOORADIN TRIAL TRACK AT CENTRE OF GREYHOUND LIVE-BAITING SCANDAL

Test cricket legend Ricky Ponting said he was horrified and devastated to see his ­beloved greyhound racing ­industry “smeared by the ­actions of a minority”.

“It’s absolutely critical that the offenders be dealt with decisively and steps taken immediately to stamp out all live baiting,” Ponting said.

There was a sombre mood at The Meadows greyhound track meeting in Broadmeadows yesterday, with officials and regulars admitting they were expecting protesters.

“We’re all shattered by the whole thing, and shocked by the extremity of it,” track chairman Eddie Caruana said.

“I can’t believe those people exist any more — hillbillies.”

Trainer Alan Steele called for moves to make it easier to “dob in” trainers and owners suspected of live baiting.

“Greyhound Racing Victoria hasn’t been diligent enough. The image of greyhound racing has been severely tarnished,” he said.

The State Government is under pressure from the RPSCA to boost its resources to allow it to investigate and prosecute live baiting.

GRV was this week given an extra $3 million by the Government to boost inspections, but RSPCA chief Dr Liz Walker said that was a concern given the industry’s “abject failure” to self-regulate.

In a further blow to the industry, major sponsor Macro Meats pulled out of the sport including tracks in Broadmeadows and Sandown. Founder Ray Borda said he couldn’t sleep after seeing the film.

I feel so very very sorry for the poor dogs who no longer have loving homes, like the one that Rebanne posted about. The dogs are the losers in all this.

Edited by grumpette

I agree Grumpette, the poor innocent dogs are the loosers, but then they have been all along. I would like the GRV to stop the dogs of trainers found to be live baiting to be transferred into another persons name. They need to be retired, sad as that is. Perhaps the trainers should also be made to contribute to their lifelong care with $$$ in the form of fines, a bit like a bequest that is made for animals by owners when they (the owners) die.

I am appalled that they are being given more money to regulate when they couldn't do it in the first place!

Changing a dogs ownership is all that will happen and they will carry on.

So far not impressed , they deserve to see it banned.