Mauri Dog Food

Yonjuro

I happened upon this NZ made food on a US site and it seems very good for those that feed commercial wet foods. What is interesting is that it doesn't seem to be available in Australia as yet. The novel and single source proteins would seem to fill a section of the market.

I contains no grains or potato nor any plant derived proteins.

It was given a 5 out of 5 star rating on a particular American review site.

http://www.mauripetfood.com

I feed prey model raw so I don't have a horse in this race, but thought it might be interesting to others, or at least as a discussion point??

Edited by Yonjuro

Wild Brushtail cat food? OMG

Possum is fairly easy to get down here and in my opinion, it's got to be one of the vilest meats out there. Greasy, dark, smelly and rank- none of my dogs will eat it.

But if you have piles of possums you don't want, I suppose it makes sense to mince them into pet food and pretend they're a gourmet ingredient :shrug:

They haven't said if all the ingredients are from NZ. I am getting suspicious about how imported products are being snuck in such as; on the front it says Made in Australia / Australian Owned / Product of Australia and fine print on the back *from Australian and Imported Ingredients.

I know possums are a real problem in NZ but I am surprised they would be able to have commercial quantities of them.

Our possum population is estimated to be around 30 million! We have a few commercial foods made with possum.

Wild Brushtail cat food? OMG

Brush tails are a big feral problem in NZ aren't they?

I wonder if there are any problems with sourcing food in that way though.

Yes, they are a pest and we're allowed to kill them. They eat the eggs of our ground laying birds such as the Kiwi. Given many a Kiwi sees Possums in the same light as Rats I'm not sure too many Kiwis would be spending a decent amount on feeding it to their dogs.

Edited by sas

I know possums are a real problem in NZ but I am surprised they would be able to have commercial quantities of them.

Our possum population is estimated to be around 30 million! We have a few commercial foods made with possum.

And really nice possum fur gloves :)

Visited a dog breeder in NZ and my jaw nearly hit the ground when she showed me a huge possum fur rug on her lounge :eek: She completely forgot they were protected in Oz and I completely forgot they were a pest in NZ. There was a similar look of shock on my face as I watched her send her dogs into long "snakey" grass in the middle of Summer! We had some good laughs I can tell you!

And really nice possum fur gloves :)

And possum fur underwear :D

Visited a dog breeder in NZ and my jaw nearly hit the ground when she showed me a huge possum fur rug on her lounge :eek: She completely forgot they were protected in Oz and I completely forgot they were a pest in NZ. There was a similar look of shock on my face as I watched her send her dogs into long "snakey" grass in the middle of Summer! We had some good laughs I can tell you!

Ooh yes! I thought long & hard about bringing one of those rugs back from my last visit to Godzone. The thought of it being confiscated by Customs made me decide against buying one. They're not cheap.

I do have the possum/merino gloves & jacket though. Great for frosty morning walks.

They haven't said if all the ingredients are from NZ

One of their ingredients is roo.

And given what happened with the deer and possums over there - I can't imagine any of them wanting to farm roo. The ingredients for the tin of roo and blueberries (traditional Mauri food yes?) do say they're from quality imported Australian roo...

I think that Mauri on the label might be a marketing gimmick. Just hope the original owners of that name are getting some sort of financial benefit from that use - otherwise I'd be like the French and "Champagne" and sue. Not entirely sure how the French won that argument since Champagne and white wine from Switzerland pre dates the French stuff by about 500 years.

So while the tinned dog food might be good quality - it doesn't seem to have much to do with Mauri or NZ. And given the name of it is misleading - what else are they not telling us?

... They say the word Mauri comes from the Maori word meaning life force, so can't see how that the Maori people can get benefit from them using a word from the language?

The Kangaroo says Australian sourced wild Kangaroo - so it is a bit misleading that it is all NZ??