Puppy Mill Near Grafton?

dollygirl

My sister has a 10 month old ESS. I knew he had front leg problems which happened when he was a few days, the dam rolled on him.

But I didn't realise how bad it was until I saw him last week.

My sisters neighbour bought a toy poodle from a puppy farm near Grafton..maybe Coutts Crossing and at the same time as purchasing the poodle was offered the then 4 month old male ESS.

They told them he was free. The story they gave was the leg was disclocated and need to be amputated most probably. The "breeder" had not wormed, vaccinated or microchipped him. He had been hand raised, as was not strong enough to fight for his feed.

The neighbours took the pup home. After showing him to my sister, they decided they did not, after all, want to take him on and were taking him back to the mill.

My sister was upset for the pup and asked for him, of course they promptly offloaded him. After many vet visits, she has adopted a wait and see re the amputation as he is not in pain. She loves him dearly however is limited with funds.

However when I visited them with my 15month old ESS, I found the injury most upsetting..his front has developed very wide he has limited use of the bad leg, cannot run properly and the good leg appears to me to be abnormal as well. (this is being x-rayed shortly)

I feel the breeder should be reported for abuse, however the neighbours refuse to give any information on where the puppies were obtained. We actively looked for the mill when she first brought him home, without luck, repeatedly hassled the neighbours, spoke with local dog rescues without any luck.

There was also a vet involved who did initial X-rays on puppy on behalf of the breeder (this is where amputation was raised). My sister is putting pressure on the vet for information re the breeder.

Anyone have any ideas who these people are? or any suggestion on what can be done?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English Springer Spaniel?

I know there was a breeder up there somewhere although I could never find them either.

--Lhok

Yes English Springer, but the mill was true factory as they have all different breeds..cages off the ground, filthy etc

I don't know of any personally, but they usually do advertise on gumtree, so if you can find multiple ads with the same phone number that may be a good indicator.

I do also know there isn't much you can do to shut it down without undeniable proof of the living conditions..

Google is your friend. You have 2 breeds to begin with and a region.

To avoid outright identification they generally scatter ads over the net in different places.

Paid ads in trading post for a litter of desirable 'pedigree' pups gets customers interested. Generates calls and sales leads. Frenchies and Bostons are the latest bait. And anything teacup or using the word RARE.

Then they spread free ads across petlink, locanto, gumtree ... with varying numbers and email but you should be able to piece it all together with patience. You'll need to stalk FB Puppies For Sale & Buy-Swap-Sell groups etc

Sad really.

Good luck.

xxAnna

If you do find it do not make it public where it is or where the ad is. Do what you need to do privately.

Several years ago I saw a most disgusting photo & ad on a site & contacted several people I know interstate to see if they could go & make an offer for the dog & send it to me & I would transfer the money to them.

I put it on here with photo.

By the time I found someone to go & get it the ad had gone & they wouldn't answer the phone for days so I guess they had got several deserved abusive calls & asked for my post to be removed.

Best of luck. It is very distressing this type of thing.

photo.php?fbid=932879650066430&set=a.933294430024952&type=1&theater

If you do find it do not make it public where it is or where the ad is. Do what you need to do privately.

Several years ago I saw a most disgusting photo & ad on a site & contacted several people I know interstate to see if they could go & make an offer for the dog & send it to me & I would transfer the money to them.

I put it on here with photo.

By the time I found someone to go & get it the ad had gone & they wouldn't answer the phone for days so I guess they had got several deserved abusive calls & asked for my post to be removed.

Best of luck. It is very distressing this type of thing.

Thank you, I will heed your advice. Have been very careful with our enquiries, these people are very cagey. Would like to think we could report them to the RSPCA but my research isn't supporting this. May leave it in the hands of a Rescue Organisation that are interested in the case.

Edited by dollygirl

I'd be more worried about the fact the pup had not been wormed, vaccinated, or microchipped before offloading to the new owners at 4 months of age...

T.

That's what rings serious alarm bells to me. Smells like BYB or Puppy Mill to me.

Didn't realise Soringer Spaniels had been elevated to 'designer dogs'. Must be because they are so pretty. How awful for them.

I'd be more worried about the fact the pup had not been wormed, vaccinated, or microchipped before offloading to the new owners at 4 months of age...

T.

That's what rings serious alarm bells to me. Smells like BYB or Puppy Mill to me.

Didn't realise Soringer Spaniels had been elevated to 'designer dogs'. Must be because they are so pretty. How awful for them.

I know- i had no idea they were gaining in popularity. Never a good thing when BYB'ers are involved :(

They are potentially used in the spaniel x poodle mixes. Even potentially along the lines in an 'australian labradoodle'- i am pretty sure i read that once upon a time.

Edited by denali

T.

I know- i had no idea they were gaining in popularity. Never a good thing when BYB'ers are involved :(

They are potentially used in the spaniel x poodle mixes. Even potentially along the lines in an 'australian labradoodle'- i am pretty sure i read that once upon a time.

Four Spinger spaniels were used at one point about 12 years ago as part of the development of the Australian Cobberdog with approval from the breeders of the springer spaniels. No one is using springer spaniels now to infuse into a multi generational registered Australian Labradoodle or an Australian Cobberdog. There are probably some doing first crosses and calling them what ever cute name they can dig up but doubtful its any more than most other breeds are

After lots of research and poking and prodding, we have found the breeder. They were at one time a bonafide breeder..won't mention the breed but it wasn't springers. They were a registered kennel with DOGSNSW, not now though. Not sure now if she was running a puppy mill, my sister thought so but not sure where she is getting info. However regardless of being a "proper" breeder or not..she still did the wrong thing by the puppy. There is also a link to the kennel owned by a certain vet! Not sure where to take this now..I have the phone number. What do you think?

Edited by dollygirl