Labrador Outside

Blackdog10

It's just so much easier on everyone concerned to have them with you at night when they are tiny. I don't think it makes them super dependent on you forever. I know it doesn't - I have raised two dogs, one of them a breed renowned for having separation anxiety and have not had that issue with either of them. That said, if I'm home my dog can be inside or out as he chooses. He does like to be in the garden for periods during the day, but at night he prefers to be with the family indoors.

Neither of you will be getting much sleep right now and it is so unnecessary. Ask yourself how you feel when he cries like that - to ignore him is not a natural response. Not to mention that if he needs the toilet during the night - and he will for some time yet - you will know right away and be able to speed up the toilet training process.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys thanks, I'm concerned that if I bring him inside that he'll have to be in there forever to sleep and I'm not really that keen on having a adult dog sleep in my room. We had numerous dogs growing up and they were all outside and all of my friends dogs are outside as well and they seemed to have no issues. I don't know if I can do it being inside to sleep. He's allowed to follow me supervised or sit on his mat inside but that's about it, I just don't think I can do it if I'm thinking long term. At the breeders he was under the house but it was open, they left them all night and never went to them. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate your advice and I'll think long and hard today but I'm hoping that there's someone out there that go through this as well. Otherwise I guess he will be in. I did so much research before getting him too, it just sucks :( thanks again though I really appreciate it.

You obviously did not research enough on the Labrador breed :( . A hallmark of the Labrador temperament is their "strong will to please" and as such they are a very closely bonding dog who forms very strong attachments to their humans and are totally devoted companions so they do not fare very well when relegated to the outside and ignored by their humans. It is bad enough doing this when they are adults, but inexcusable to a baby pup who had undergone a huge upheaval in leaving his mum and litter mates and thrust outside all on his own :cry:

I really don't want him to rely on me that much, I hate the idea of having him in my room.

This statement beggars belief :cry: . Why on earth did you get a Labrador (or for that matter any dog):( , with feelings like this you will never be able to meet this poor dog's needs. This poor pup needs to be in a home where it is wanted, loved, nurtured and where all its needs will be met. It is obvious you are not a suitable Lab owner, so please do the right thing by this pup and return to the Breeder. If that is not an option, I am happy to take him and find him a great home as I am a very experienced Lab owner of many many years.

Guest donatella

I really feel a goat or chicken may have been a better animal choice for your lifestyle. Sorry to sound harsh but a new puppy outside all alone, now you're saying a burden. I don't think people should have dogs if they're going to lock them outside all day and night. Sorry!

I really feel a goat or chicken may have been a better animal choice for your lifestyle. Sorry to sound harsh but a new puppy outside all alone, now you're saying a burden. I don't think people should have dogs if they're going to lock them outside all day and night. Sorry!

Yeah I agree. Sorry to sound harsh but you have a baby animal that needs comfort.

Many people DO have outside dogs ... and as you say , MULTIPLE dogs . I know we do - and the reason many of them work so well ? dogs have each other for company /exercise and reassurance ;)

many other folk have a single dog - and also spend many hours/days working that dog's brain , training/competing - all that stuff :)

Some dogs are always outside - yes...and as adults, they are resigned to the fact . They struggled as babies ..but gave up , or were very resilient and happy with their own company from day 1 .

Each is a bit different ...

You have a baby puppy, having him being close to you now at a young age won't mean he will need to sleep in the same room with you forever.

Crate him in with you until he settles and no longer needs to get up and toilet throughout the night, than you can transition him slowly out of your room to where ever you like.

Although he is a dog, and you are his owner, dogs ARE dependant on you, for their entire lives.

A dog can be an outside dog as long as it gets it's needs met appropriately. But a baby puppy is not an adult dog, it's needs are different, and at the moment it needs comfort and warmth at night (from you it's new owner) after being taken away from it's litter.

Edited by LisaCC

You have a baby puppy, having him being close to you now at a young age won't mean he will need to sleep in the same room with you forever.

Crate him in with you until he settles and no longer needs to get up and toilet throughout the night, than you can transition him slowly out of your room to where ever you like.

Although he is a dog, and you are his owner, dogs ARE dependant on you, for their entire lives.

A dog can be an outside dog as long as it gets it's needs met appropriately. But a baby puppy is not an adult dog, it's needs a different, and at the moment it needs comfort and warmth at night (from you it's new owner) after being taken away from it's litter.

yes :)

You are obviously so worried, like a new mum!

stop & breathe -

puppy hood has all sorts of trials & tribulations ... but doesn't last long!

the key word here is BABY .

Babies ARE dependent .

babies need attention and someone close by ... for a little while .

:) You will survive ....

Baby puppies ARE needy, there's no getting around it. If you can't cope, send him back and get a mature dog.

I think the same. If you can't offer a dog comfort on its first night away from its family and expect a dog to adjust to you instantly send the poor thing back.

Raising a puppy is hard work, raising a puppy into a dog you want to live with is harder.

Labradors love people and want to be with them - it's why they are great family dogs. You want affection, devotion and willingness to please - this is the dog for you.

You want independence and an outside dog that is happy to see you whenever?? NOT the dog for you.

I'm trying hard to be supportive but seriously, any research you would have done would have told you this. Your friends dogs?? Pffft. I don't believe they are "happy" unless they are a different breed of dog.

Lecture over.

As I see it you have 2 problems:

1. You have a needy baby puppy who has been taken away from all that's familiar. It is your duty as a new owner of a living thing to find out what will comfort and help him through this. It's not an option, he's not a new couch or car - he's an animal that is totally dependent on you for everything. Suck it up and be an adult.

2. You need sleep. You have a life outside this dog and you cannot function or make good decisions when you are sleep deprived due to a pup crying for its mother. So do what we've ALL TOLD YOU and move the damn crate into your bedroom. Toilet training will be easier (unless he's to be totally outside dog in which case I'm wondering why you got a labrador in the first place). You will get So much more sleep and will be less resentful of the puppy's demands. Move the crate out in a couple of months and see if he's ready to be in his own. If yes -- great! If not, grit your teeth and move it back.

A dog is a 15 year commitment. Like others here, I'm beginning to wonder just how much research you did. Any info on Labradors will tell you that they are incredibly people focussed dogs - it's why they do so well at being Guide a Dogs and Assistance Dogs. People focussed means THEY WANT TO BE WITH YOU.

Any research on puppies would have told you what to expect. You want him to sleep all alone? Fine. Get ear plugs, prepare to harden your heart and once again SUCK IT UP.

You want a companion and best mate? The fact that you are so adamant that you won't bend on your bedroom rule, and that you don't want the dog to rely on you -- tells me you want a dog for different reasons than you admit. A Labrador will be the best mate you have ever had - but not without trust and affection and the feeling that it's wanted.

So you have a choice to make:

Do some REAL research into Labradors.

Do some REAL research into how to raise a pup into a best mate.

Or

Take the poor thing back. You aren't ready for a dog. You DEFINITELY aren't ready for a soft tempered dog like a Labrador.

But I really really hope you take the excellent advice offered by the smart experienced folks here and MOVE THE CRATE INTO YOUR ROOM. And get a puppy pen as well so you can get things done and he doesn't feel alone.

Or

Get a goldfish.

Yes, this is just the first of many adjustments and compromises that you will have to make.

Welcome to dog ownership! Don't worry, it does get easier...eventually. But it kind of gets worse before it gets better and you have to be prepared for that (remembers chewed up couches and ruined back verandah by darling dog who is now far more trustworthy around the house). It is all worth it in the end.

Edited by WeimMe

..and remember - folks here don't say all this stuff 'cos they want to be mean - it's just that many folks here have been there & done that - many many times , and have an idea as to the best (and in the long run , most successful) way to do this puppy parenting thing!

You are def. not alone!

I have a 14 mth old ratbag who loves me to bits - but who I have neglected to teach a couple of important things :( my mistake ... and now I am having to work hard! ;)

Take a deep breath and start afresh today. Hold your baby in your arms. Hold him close and snuggle him. Drink in his puppy smell, feel his squishy soft skin. Love him for being a baby. Play is great for a puppy, but so is just sitting quietly and snuggling. he might struggle about but just hold him in firmly and snuggle until he settles. Let him know your gentle strengths. Sing him a lullaby and rock him to sleep. Stroke him gently. Let him know that going to sleep is love itself.

It might all sound a bit weird but your puppy is not a robot. He is a baby and will grow and develop and flourish with gentle strength and pleasant guidance. Keep him close and show him the way.

Take a deep breath and start afresh today. Hold your baby in your arms. Hold him close and snuggle him. Drink in his puppy smell, feel his squishy soft skin. Love him for being a baby. Play is great for a puppy, but so is just sitting quietly and snuggling. he might struggle about but just hold him in firmly and snuggle until he settles. Let him know your gentle strengths. Sing him a lullaby and rock him to sleep. Stroke him gently. Let him know that going to sleep is love itself.

It might all sound a bit weird but your puppy is not a robot. He is a baby and will grow and develop and flourish with gentle strength and pleasant guidance. Keep him close and show him the way.

That is perfect :)

(Now I need a baby puppy !! :p )

Yes.^^

No one is trying to be mean. This is the most knowledgeable group of dog owners around - and I DONT

mean ME.

Just take the advice. It's better than a Yahoo question or your friends with outside dogs, I promise. You WILL be able to leave him outside on his own, you just have to get through the hard few months. Puppies are like babies, and I'll be the first to put my hand up and say that we have ALL wondered with one puppy (or baby!) - what the HECK have we got ourselves into?

It doesn't last forever. I've already forgotten Ernie's first few days, when I swore I'd never get a puppy again. He's now 1 year old, still an idiot but he's outside now, happily and QUIETLY wreaking havoc.

We used to have baby gates up to certain areas. I will admit to having a glass of wine while sitting on my kitchen floor, crying. Because it was puppy witching hour and I couldn't cope.

It will all be ok, but remember to take into account your puppy is baby, and babies have different needs.

Also, I will reiterate no one is trying to be mean or cruel. But we have all been there at one point or another and so the advice is coming from experience.

If you do not temporarily relent, you may be in for a sleepless month. I also persisted with my lab pup sleeping in the laundary for about a month, the amount of stress it created was unbelievable (she howled and cried for several hours and would wet herself and sometimes vomit because she was so worked up each night). I had heaters, toys with a heartbeat thingy, I would stay with her until she fell asleep and then try to sneak out lol. It was exhausting. And so simply fixed by allowing her to sleep in the bedroom. The first night in my bedroom she slept through, never had an accident in my room and was perfectly behaved. She still sleeps with me but on occasion when we visit others she sleeps in the laundary or outside with no issues.

Also having multiple dogs does make it easier for new puppies to adjust- they are never really alone. However you don't tend to get the same bond with pup (they tend to bind to the other dogs more than you) unless you make that extra effort to spend time alone with them and building the relationship, which in itself can be very time consuming when you also have to spend time with the other dogs.

Judging by the responses in this thread it seems like lab puppies are particularly needy! Glad I'm not the only one that relented and now has a dog on the bed at night lol!

Edited by aussielover

as a long time lab owner (19 years now) i'd highly recommend you take heed of what is being said here; Lab pups need their human pack - there's time enough for your pup to learn to live outside when it's older. Labbies need their pack, whether it be human or dog - they are not an independent breed.