Intense Food Guarding

Shakti

• 2 weeks later...

We have talked to many knowledgeable people and sadly have returned this pup to his breeder. I still love the breed but this was not the right individual pup for us. You have all been wonderful with your advice and knowledge - thank you! It was a hard decision to make but better to have done it now than in a few months. We now have a White Swiss Shepherd who is simply wonderful (and my husband's first choice all along! LOL)

We have talked to many knowledgeable people and sadly have returned this pup to his breeder. I still love the breed but this was not the right individual pup for us. You have all been wonderful with your advice and knowledge - thank you! It was a hard decision to make but better to have done it now than in a few months. We now have a White Swiss Shepherd who is simply wonderful (and my husband's first choice all along! LOL)

Glad it worked out.

A very tough decision but I think it was only going to get tougher.

Good luck with your new pup! :)

Well done making the tough decision :) I think you've been really responsible in taking the issue seriously and seeking advice.

Good on the breeder for taking the pup back too.

Looking forward to hearing about the fun you have with your new pup!

A difficult decision but the right one. Glad we were able to help.

Question for Maremma breeders?

Is this normal for Maremmas?

I once owned a Maremmaa x Pyranean male and he didn'd do anything like this (and I very much doubt he came from a "reputable" breeder)

To the OP - great decision. Hurts now, but time will heal, and better than being badly bitten in a couple of years.

Very interested to hear from breeders. I will be surprised if it is normal for Maremmas though. I am far from experienced with them but during my 12 months behaviour testing at RSPCA we had 5 Maremma come through and be assessed and none showed this behaviour.

My boy is an Anatolian Maremma cross and never showed this type of behaviour. He is extremely protective of his people. I wouldn't say that type of aggression, especially so young is normal. They are a guarding breed, but it shouldn't be directed at the owners IMO.

My maremma only ever growled at one person. She was barking at him and he backed her into a corner and threatened to kick her. My other half over heard and said if you kick her I will kick you. lol

Not sure she was the 'norm' though.

Glad it has worked out for you.

My Wolff (CASD) has always been extreme in food resource guarding since the day he arrived but only with the other dog, it is a known trait in my breed/his line so it is managed very carefully. Dogs are separated into different yards at feeding and the yard is inspected carefully before they are put together, I on the other hand can take anything from him. I know my dog and his triggers and tolerances and we do not make mistakes

Resource guarding from other dogs is different to resource guarding from humans though (I know you know that casowner). It's pretty "normal" for dogs to warn other dogs off their claimed food, starting with mummy dog telling baby pups to leave her food alone until she decides they can have some.

Whereas most dogs are not quick to show real aggression towards humans over resources unless/until they've had experiences that teach them it's beneficial or necessary for them.

When I say real aggression, I mean escalating quickly to an actual hard bite. Many dogs don't guard from humans at all, quite a few will warn with moving away, growling etc, some will air snap and maybe bite if pushed enough but the real concerning thing for me with this OP was that the puppy escalated so quickly to a real bite.

Oh Wolff is not simply telling off, it would escalate and not be able to be stopped but I know what you are saying :)

Resource guarding towards humans is dangerous and dogs require confident, non complacent experienced owners to deal with it