Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

Finally was able to pull out my laptop. I'm pretending not to be home to see what noise the terrors make. I was out for five hours this morning, too. And aside from an experimental wuff from Bunny because she suspected I was home, there's been silence. Hurray for my puppies!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a Bunny for a walk this afternoon. Established she's a bit scared of cars whizzing past. More work to do there.

Roo seems to have howled most of the time we were gone, as far as I can tell. He had plenty of toys and some treats but still howled. Not sure what to do about that.

Not so much today. I'm working in the garden. Bunny is asleep in a crate. Roo is asleep on his outside bed. They also essentially ignored the kids on the trampoline! Good puppies (aside from the wee on the blanket - yes, Rooboy, I'm looking at you).

I've had some success with a patch of fake grass (1m x 1m) on hard flooring where it's easy to clean. Get 2 patches from bunnings for really cheap. Then you swap them out between wee's, and take the wet one outside and hose off. There will be enough of the urine scent left for puppy to smell it when you bring it back in. I had a very stubborn toilet trainer boy and I did this with him on another breeders recomendation and it worked well. I just gradually moved the patch out the door, and onto the lawn. In about 10 days had him going on the lawn consistently and gradually removed the turf patch.

Reading through the thread I'd say you're being way to hard on yourself. Toilet training can be a stressful and difficult experience. I know I've been there. Don't get down on yourself. Just time to try something different. :) Give the turf patch a go, I reckon it'll help, and doesn't cost much at all. You could probably pick up some offcuts for free from a landscaper etc.

Anyways, hope that helps, and many of us have been there before. It's hard!

Puts fake grass on the shopping list.

Have also found somewhere that sells belly bands.

Roo drinks an enormous amount of water at night. Just at night. He went most of the day without one.

Puts fake grass on the shopping list.

Have also found somewhere that sells belly bands.

Roo drinks an enormous amount of water at night. Just at night. He went most of the day without one.

Out of interest, what are you feeding at night?

Advance Puppy and boiled chicken or beef mince. Fish and egg once a week. Training treats. I feed this to both and Bunny drinks far less than he does. Please don't tell me to feed raw.

Edited by Sheridan

Just a thought: can you give a little more of the chicken/beef mince at night and give the Advance for day-time feeds only.

My lot are not thirsty afterwards or in the morning at all as they don't get dry at dinner-time BUT if I do run out of their raw and they get dry (even with a topping of vegie slops) they are thirsty after and in the morning also

eta

found this old photo of Mac after he was helping gardening...a wannabe Wheaten!

post-26505-0-20599400-1436393412_thumb.jpeg post-26505-0-27401800-1436393456_thumb.png

Edited by Boronia

Advance Puppy and boiled chicken or beef mince. Fish and egg once a week. Training treats. I feed this to both and Bunny drinks far less than he does. Please don't tell me to feed raw.

That's cool, wasn't going to tell you to feed raw. Just that some kibbles do get them drinking a lot. Try going for the mince at night time and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: also some treats are high in salt, and this can really affect some puppies making them drink loads of water.

Edited by BullBreedBoy

Yes, I think I'll start doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. I am treating with things like devon, etc, which do have a high salt content. It's hard to find something soft and high value which doesn't have a big amount of salt. I did try just chicken but its too flaky. Happy for suggestions.

I am keen to try raw by the way but am unsure of quantity for two growing puppies. I'll also have a look at the salt content. Roo was originally on Proplan puppy but he had the softest and smelliest poos. I wonder if poo consistency is in inverse proportion to the level of salt? But then, Bunny is on the same food and doesn't drink as much.

I have a very active dog that I didn't think drink enough. He is wholly raw fed, with a mince mix in the morning with extra bits and pieces like egg, fish, offal and cottage cheese mixed with it, and a meaty bone such as a turkey neck or half chicken carcass in the evening. Anyway, what I started doing with his mince mix in the morning adding a cup of water to it to make it more of a mince soup! He loves it and i add warm water in winter, cold water in summer. At least I know he has had a good drink at least once a day. The only other time he drinks is after very vigorous exercise, has a few licks and he's off again

Ps, I'm not trying to tell you to feed raw! ....just maybe adding water to their mince meal in the morning maybe he will be less inclined to drink so much later in the day nearer to bed time.

Edited by blinkblink

Thanks, coogie. :) they are pests and terrors and so very full on. I completely adore them.

Reporting back on the toilet training, water drinking: I halved Roo's kibble yesterday and gave him raw mince. He drank much less, so thanks for the suggestions. I'll do the same tonight. This morning they got a boiled egg each with their kibble.

On toilet training, can I say I love my steam cleaner? No wees in the lounge room at all. Bunny did a wee by the back door last night. I was trying to get Roo up to go out (once he's asleep, he's really asleep) and I suppose she just couldn't hang on anymore.

Roo did one this morning, also by the back door. I didn't hear him tap but he's done that before. A bell to go out and then when I can trust them a bit more (like when they're 15), a doggy door?

Bullbreedboy, fake grass at Bunnings is bloody expensive!

Edited by Sheridan