Raising Two Puppies At Once

Sheridan

I only have ever had one but here goes...

I've walked my pups for up to an hour. Round in round in circles. On leash - which I think you said you were having issues with, so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

I do feel your pain, I hate hated those early days with me screeching 'quick quick' at my pup and every time they stopped to play, dragging them up and down until the desired result - which I then rewarded with a massive glob of peanut butter.

As for the hysterics, I think you just have to ignore and keep focussing on the pup you've got out.

I don't think there's any quick answer other than patience, perseverance and a sense of humour.

One thought: can you 'borrow' a housetrained older dog that can show them what's expected?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of an x-pen or similar type of puppy pen in the back yard? Then you can pop one pup in the pen outside while toileting the other and if the one in the outside puppy pen does a wee or poo while you are tolieting the other it is a win! There are still a few sets of bunnings composting panels around in stores....

I only have ever had one but here goes...

I've walked my pups for up to an hour. Round in round in circles. On leash - which I think you said you were having issues with, so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

I do feel your pain, I hate hated those early days with me screeching 'quick quick' at my pup and every time they stopped to play, dragging them up and down until the desired result - which I then rewarded with a massive glob of peanut butter.

As for the hysterics, I think you just have to ignore and keep focussing on the pup you've got out.

I don't think there's any quick answer other than patience, perseverance and a sense of humour.

One thought: can you 'borrow' a housetrained older dog that can show them what's expected?

I'm not sure I could cope with three, even if one was housetrained. :D

I think my issue is that the hysterics results in a wee/poo inside from the screechy one. Plus often, we don't even get out the door unless I carry them which I'm doing at night. Have I ingrained doing wees with being carried?

Any chance of an x-pen or similar type of puppy pen in the back yard? Then you can pop one pup in the pen outside while toileting the other and if the one in the outside puppy pen does a wee or poo while you are tolieting the other it is a win! There are still a few sets of bunnings composting panels around in stores....

That's what I have set up to do wees in. I can shift it to somewhere else and give it a try.

The wet weather has been terrible at keeping active puppies occupied. Had a bit of success during the night. Roo let me know every time he wanted to go out and promptly did a wee and poo on command. Bunny was noisy for five minutes each time she was put back in her crate but also did a wee on command. We also had a bit of success in just walking around the house on lead with each of them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take them to a cafe as planned as it was just too wet. Will try tomorrow. And downside, during the day, Roo does not signal wanting to go outside. :(

Will post pictures in exchange for toilet training help. Training two at once is an issue. I take out Bunny, Roo does a wee/poo in the house and visa versa. I take both out at once, it's playtime. If I take one out the other has hysterics inside which is a distraction. I have taken Bunny out in lead. She stands there and stares at me. I have tried training them to go in one spot, in a small pen, worked twice.They sit there or fight to get out, one at a time. I have tried newspaper, something with wee already on it, no go. How long do I give them outside at a time to do something because the length of time can be half an hour sometimes with nothing happening then inside, wee. Help.

So when are you taking them out? I generally took mine out after eating, after drinking, after playing, and just generally about every hour.

I was thinking that perhaps you could feed one, then take it out to pee, on lead. Only wait ten minutes. No interaction, and no moving around until the goods have been produced. Then put that one in a pen, and repeat with the other one. If they don't do anything, then I'd probably take the, back out again about 20 minutes later. Same thing, on lead, no moving about, and no attention until they've done the job.

I'm not sure what you can do about them getting distracted by the other one having a tantrum except perhaps having them in a crate in a part of the house furthest from your yard, with some door closed in between so the noise is quieter. Are their crates small enough for you to move around easily?

I had two puppies at once, but they were ok at doing things together and wouldn't distract each other too much, but that was perhaps because they were litter mates.

Will post pictures in exchange for toilet training help. Training two at once is an issue. I take out Bunny, Roo does a wee/poo in the house and visa versa. I take both out at once, it's playtime. If I take one out the other has hysterics inside which is a distraction. I have taken Bunny out in lead. She stands there and stares at me. I have tried training them to go in one spot, in a small pen, worked twice.They sit there or fight to get out, one at a time. I have tried newspaper, something with wee already on it, no go. How long do I give them outside at a time to do something because the length of time can be half an hour sometimes with nothing happening then inside, wee. Help.

So when are you taking them out? I generally took mine out after eating, after drinking, after playing, and just generally about every hour.

I was thinking that perhaps you could feed one, then take it out to pee, on lead. Only wait ten minutes. No interaction, and no moving around until the goods have been produced. Then put that one in a pen, and repeat with the other one. If they don't do anything, then I'd probably take the, back out again about 20 minutes later. Same thing, on lead, no moving about, and no attention until they've done the job.

I'm not sure what you can do about them getting distracted by the other one having a tantrum except perhaps having them in a crate in a part of the house furthest from your yard, with some door closed in between so the noise is quieter. Are their crates small enough for you to move around easily?

I had two puppies at once, but they were ok at doing things together and wouldn't distract each other too much, but that was perhaps because they were litter mates.

An utterly despondent day, aside from when I took them to a cafe. Bunny has decided to bark. At Everything. A leaf drops. Barking. Something moves or doesn't move. Barking. Wants attention. Barking. Doesn't want to do a wee. Barking. Something she's seen before. Barking. Won't sit. Won't do anything. Wees in crate, wees and poos inside.

Roo still doesn't signal when he wants to go.

Very tired.

Don't feel down... puppies are always one step froward 3 steps back... lol!

The last time I had one that did that attention barking, it got penned in a different room with the door shut until it worked out that being quiet got it more of the attention it sought. I'm a mean bitch!

T.

An utterly despondent day, aside from when I took them to a cafe. Bunny has decided to bark. At Everything. A leaf drops. Barking. Something moves or doesn't move. Barking. Wants attention. Barking. Doesn't want to do a wee. Barking. Something she's seen before. Barking. Won't sit. Won't do anything. Wees in crate, wees and poos inside.

Roo still doesn't signal when he wants to go.

Very tired.

Very tiring. You are working so hard, but it's not quite paying off just yet.

Bunny sounds like the trickier of the two, Roo sounds like he might be getting the toilet training a little bit more.

I'm glad you had a nice time at the cafe :)

maybe check out ebay for wall transfer stickers, if you write something like 'shrub' or 'flower' or 'tree' or 'dog' between the words stickers---transfers it narrows down your search.

You probably know that on the right side of the ebay page is a drop-down box that says 'best match' so you can choose the 'price + postage lowest first' option

post-26505-0-62602800-1435131116_thumb.png

post-26505-0-08828100-1435131158_thumb.png

anyhow the stickers may stop Roo from crashing into the door

eta...I found one that'll do the job :o

post-26505-0-40529600-1435131430_thumb.png

Edited by Boronia

Separated the puppies for time outs. Roo has been picking on Bunny and she has been trying to get away from him. I am seriously considering that I won't be able to leave them out together when I go back to work.