When You Have Visitors

Ashling

I have an excitable dog for when visitors come over and was wondering what everyone else does and what you've found works the best. Lots of training is involved and ongoing but until we get there, which would you choose?

Put your dog/dogs in a crate so they can be in the room but not all excited and try to jump up on visitors?

Put them behind a baby gate in a room off the living area so they can still see the visitors but not get to them?

Put them outside so they can see through the window and watch the visitors from out there?

Something else?

Train them to go to their bed/mat and stay there would be ideal I think but we're just not there yet.

Just to add, I've been working hard on training my boy and we are going so well but he just can't settle when guests are over yet. But the other day I had one person over who is very strict/hard/I think cruel to dogs and my boy happily went to greet this person and he was a bit too excited. I had him on a lead and was in full control but the person thought he was going to jump up at him and he raised his hand to hit him then stopped when he didn't end up jumping. I was shocked and don't want to be in that situation ever again. They're a family member who I don't see often but can't just not let them over either.

For one, I'd have put the person behind a gate there! Haha.

We have a similar battle, I'd be interested to see what people suggest.

Our dopey one gives up after 5 mins or so of showing off his toy and whining, but apparently not everyone loves retriever spit! What the? Haha.

I use a combination of set ups depending on the people and how well I know them or they know my dogs. Crates, pens, outside and behind baby gates are all options but they'll also settle on their beds pretty quickly once the excitement of arrivals has died down. Currently I have 2 adult dogs and 2 puppies so it does require a little juggling!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I don't have my dogs loose in the house when visitors arrive. They are either crated or on a place mat or in a pen (for the puppy). I don't want visitors arriving to be a big deal, and management is really important with the dogs I have. Once people have been over for a bit I will let the dogs out to lie next to me. Dogs need to know what you expect of them, so giving them something to do like be in their crate, on a mat, in a down etc gives you a desirable behaviour you can reinforce.

I don't have my dogs loose in the house when visitors arrive. They are either crated or on a place mat or in a pen (for the puppy). I don't want visitors arriving to be a big deal, and management is really important with the dogs I have. Once people have been over for a bit I will let the dogs out to lie next to me. Dogs need to know what you expect of them, so giving them something to do like be in their crate, on a mat, in a down etc gives you a desirable behaviour you can reinforce.

:thumbsup:

This.....

Our visitors know they will be greeted by two excited wiggle bums but there's no jumping and they settle within a minute or two and just lie down and chill.

If we have people over for the first time we usually put them outside with a bone till they calm down then let them in later.

Guest donatella

Our visitors know they will be greeted by two excited wiggle bums but there's no jumping and they settle within a minute or two and just lie down and chill.

If we have people over for the first time we usually put them outside with a bone till they calm down then let them in later.

Pretty much here. Mine just wanna say hellooo.

They settle quick after a pat, none of my visitors mind :D

When I have visitor I let them in :) but I wouldn't be letting that on of yours in & would say get out if anyone raised a hand to my dogs, no matter who it was.

Depends who it is. If its small children with having quite a few I usually put some out until they are not so excited.

With a big dog that jumps it has to learn to behave so depending on who the visitor is & if they like dogs I would put outside, behind a gate or on a lead, whichever you think suits the situation.

Depending on who it is. I usually just take Kaos outside (or if we are outside put her in my room with the door shut) she is pretty full on and the truth is, i dont trust most people! It means i can relax and not worry about her and know she is safe!

I use a combination of set ups depending on the people and how well I know them or they know my dogs. Crates, pens, outside and behind baby gates are all options but they'll also settle on their beds pretty quickly once the excitement of arrivals has died down. Currently I have 2 adult dogs and 2 puppies so it does require a little juggling!

Pretty much these, crate, mat or outside. If there is any excitement once released from that area, straight back in there.

Thanks everyone. It's really helpful to hear what other people do.

When my boy was a puppy he got his paw caught badly on a wire dog pen and I decided from then on not to use anything wire. He was fine after a vet visit and nothing broken but swollen. Luckily he wasn't traumatised but I was.

Now that I'm closer to family members I'll be having some of them over more often so will have to work harder or try something to see if it works with certain people who can't handle a happy dog greeting them. He does settle down after a few minutes and he generally doesn't jump up at guests but his size can make some people uncomfortable.

I think in future with this particular person I'll put my boy outside with a bone where I can still see him. I would love to tell this person off and have in the past but it doesn't get anywhere sadly. If he had hit my boy he would definitely be told to leave and not come back.

Our tibbie girls are not excitable & are sociable with people. I can't claim credit ... it's their temperament & they came like that, from their breeder. They tend to love pats from the visitors, if they're dog lovers ... but once that's over they take themselves off to lie nearby, wherever we are. If the visitors are not dog lovers & not into welcome pats, the girls usually beat me in just going to snooze nearby. We all have to make whatever adjustments fit our dogs' natures. Interesting thread about that!

I'm more concerned about visitors not being careful in opening and closing gates, than I am about the behaviours of the dogs.

I guess I'm not the norm, our dogs go mad when visitors arrive and everyone that comes here is used to it.

If any guest doesn't like their behaviour they are asked to leave and not invited back.

The only exception I make is for my kids birthday parties, the dogs are locked inside and the party is outside with only access to the toilet.

Two things operating in these situations:

1. Comfort of guests

2. Well being of dogs (and safety as per Mita's post above).

My dogs get very excited when I have visitors or guests. If I know people are coming, I generally put the dogs out on the deck or put a barrier across the hallway so the people can actually get in the front door :o :o .

Once everyone is safely in, I let the dogs in to meet and greet and after about 30 seconds of excitement, everything calms down and dogs go back to wherever they are happiest: mat, study, deck - wherever they like.

If people are coming for lunch or dinner, It isn't unusual for me to come back into the lounge from the kitchen to find one or two dogs on laps :laugh: :laugh:

Depends on the visitor.

If non dog people, one goes in the crate in the family room and other in our bedroom.

If dog people that my boys are familiar with, then they are allowed to greet visitors, but if my 5 year old Lab boy gets too exciteable, which he does regularly :laugh: he gets put in crate for calm down time.

Any kids, including my grandkids, my Lab youngster (the exciteable 5 year old) gets put in the crate when the kids first arrive and then when calm allowed out and he normally gets put in and out a couple of times until his excitement and the novelty factor wear off :laugh: My 7 year old Lab boy is always calm with visitors, but my 5 year old still gets too excited upon arrival of guests and I am not sure when he will (if ever) grow out of it :laugh: , but normally after a couple of trips in and out of the crate he does tend to calm down. Of course it doesn't help when he decides to do the zoomies inside sometimes in amongst his excitement and have the guests in hysterics at his antics and clambering up on the couches and chairs to get out of his way until I either put him in the crate or mostly just open the back door and let him finish off his zoomies outside with the guests standing at the closed glass door laughing their heads :laugh: off at him, which of course encourages him even more. :D

Guest donatella

The tradesman at my place end up in a fetal position cuddling mine on the floor not wanting to go. It's always an interesting experience :rofl: