Pet Friendly Accommodation With Chickens

raineth

Unless the owner of the accommodation had a fairly relaxed attitude to their chickens being chased down and shaken into feathery, dead mess, I don't think I'd risk it. Shitty Whippet and Idiot Dog probably wouldn't be too bothered if they definitely couldn't physically get at the chickens but Jelly Bean.. she's a regular killer of slow/stupid birds (mostly starlings) and she's one of those dogs who'd eventually figure out a way into an enclosure if she was given a chance.

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere with any sort of potential prey items sitting around for the dogs to obsess over. I could think of nothing less relaxing and enjoyable.

Issy would definitely kill them deliberately, Alfie would most likely accidentally kill them by squashing them whilst protecting them from Issy. Same out come - dead chickens. But my dogs are utterly ruined as far as indoor/outdoor goes, and would be completely horrified at being left in the back yard anyway. I don't think a place is truly dog friendly if the dogs are not allowed in.

Are you sure the chickens are free ranging and not confined to a coop or small yard? I have a thing called a "chicken tractor" that you can move about the garden so that the chickens get fresh grass, but is fox/dog proofed for security. I don't have it in the same yard as the dogs, but could quite safely do so if I wanted.

Even then, still a risk! Determined dogs are determined!

Yep. We recently repaired the fox proof pen again. We had forgotten to Emmy proof it. We had also neglected to Ginny proof the surrounding fence!

I have to admit to ignoring the leave in the garden rule if I wasn't 100% happy with the garden. I have left them in their crates, in a closed bathroom, so no chance of mayhem being caused.

The dogs would spend the entire weekend staring at the chickens! Not sure if they would chomp them but they would be wanting to herd them up.

Out two live happily with our chickens (and next doors that moved in with us when thyme moved) but I'm not sure I'd trust the greyhound with strange chickens, they may be more appealing than ours!

He occasionally still chases other birds out of the yard, so may not register that they are chooks. If they're not free ranging, he'd be fine with them in enclosure.

The great dane would be afraid of them! :laugh: