Who Did This Poo?

Kirislin

does look a lot like roo or wallaby poo.

I forget what deer poo looks like but it may depend a bit on the deer. Ie somewhere between sheep/goat poo and horse poo?

Definitely not wombat poo.

I get lots of 'roo poo here and this looks different. I agree that it's definitely not wombat, the pellets are too small, there's too many of them and wombats usually place their poos on something, even in a pot plant of mine the other day, cheeky bugger.

Yep, deer poop! I see you're in Vic, where abouts? Could very well be Sambar as they're pretty rife here, but there are a few species. Check your fences and trees, they have no regard for wire and tend to damage trees by rubbing bark off to mark their territory.

Venison does make good eating...;)

Yep, deer poop! I see you're in Vic, where abouts? Could very well be Sambar as they're pretty rife here, but there are a few species. Check your fences and trees, they have no regard for wire and tend to damage trees by rubbing bark off to mark their territory.

Venison does make good eating...;)

Yarra Valley. I dont have a rifle anymore and too many houses around me anyway. I'd have to get Neko the Italian Greyhound and my 3 aged whippets to pull it down. :laugh:

I posted it on a hunting forum and was amazed at how many blokes had no idea, kept thinking it was wombat or kangaroo. I'd expect hunters to have a better idea. Fair enough that we 'civvies' aren't sure, but hunters should know.

Edited by Kirislin

Yarra Valley. I dont have a rifle anymore and too many houses around me anyway. I'd have to get Neko the Italian Greyhound and my 3 aged whippets to pull it down. :laugh:

I posted it on a hunting forum and was amazed at how many blokes had no idea, kept thinking it was wombat or kangaroo. I'd expect hunters to have a better idea. Fair enough that we 'civvies' aren't sure, but hunters should know.

Hahaha, which forum was this? Some blokes wouldn't have a clue. I'm on AusVarmint and they're top notch, I know a lot of skilled and responsible hunters out there if it starts causing damage and you want to get rid of it. Just shoot me a pm if you ever get to that stage :)

Definitely not wombat - which looks like dog poo except it's green. I need to get some mates up here to sort out my local fox problem. Although I know more will fill the gap.

Same offer stands for you TSD, if you cant get your mates up soon enough let me know and I can find someone for you, just shoot me a PM. They're all licenced and responsible :)

Definitely not wombat - which looks like dog poo except it's green. I need to get some mates up here to sort out my local fox problem. Although I know more will fill the gap.

Same offer stands for you TSD, if you cant get your mates up soon enough let me know and I can find someone for you, just shoot me a PM. They're all licenced and responsible :)

Thanks BL - much appreciated.

One place I used to agist my horse at near Gininderra Falls west of the ACT... had the little spotty deer, and the big red deer, and kangaroos and wallabies. Might have had wombats but didn't see any. Lots and lots of foxes.

Most wombat poo I've seen - looks like little square cube parcels. I've never seen a cube shaped dog poo.

So I'd think something a similar consistency to sheep or goat poop and maybe slightly bigger - could be deer poop. they eat similar stuff and have similar digestive systems.

The field biologist term for deer poo is "deer scats"

Lots of google images for that. Some match.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=deer+scats&tbm=isch

Well, I was pretty used to the way my nervous horse spooked. He'd kind of sit down and spin around to go the other way. All good. I can stay on that. Bucking: I couldn't handle but he was crap at that.

He wouldn't spook so bad if I spotted the spooky thing first and pointed it out. Unless he didn't believe me. Like the time we got back to the paddock and the white thing on the post that was being still suddenly decided to fly away like a giant flappy plastic bag (spoonbill).

Of course flappy bags with food in them aren't scary at all.

You are assuming that hunters actually care about what they are killing.

You are assuming that hunters actually care about what they are killing.

Any hunter worth their salt does care. Most, if not all of the hunters I know are in it to assist farmers and landowners eradicate established pests from their properties. They are well trained, licensed and extremely responsible, skilled in the way of a quick, humane kill, targeting a specific area on the animal to ensure no suffering is endured. In the case of foxes, wild pigs and wild dogs, even crows, all of these are responsible for stock losses which can cost farmers significantly and puts a dent in their livelihood, not to mention the horrific maiming a lot of stock suffer due to wild dogs killing not to eat sometimes but more for amusement. Foxes and pigs as well as dogs will easily take a newborn or sometimes still being born lamb, kid or cria and maul the birthing female to boot. Ten pigs can destroy an acre of crop in half an hour, deer demolish fences and ringbark young native trees as well as disturbing stock, rabbits dig everything and where you have rabbits you have foxes, and so the cycle continues. I know what I would prefer - a quick and humane dispatching of a predator versus hefty and often torturous stock losses.

There will always be degenerate yobbos who do the wrong thing but please try not to tar all of us with the same brush. I know many, many shooters who not only manage pests on properties but also keep a watchful eye out for trespassers, they fix fences/water troughs etc and report any illness or injury of stock to the landowners. Not all of us are bloodthirsty dickheads :)

If it could leave you an antler instead of poo that would be perfect!

Oh I would think all my Christmas's and birthdays had come at once if a dropped a set of antlers for me.

All that money I could save on chews for Dozer