What Is The Worst Thing About Your Chosen Breed?

Steph M

Just curious, what do you rate as the worst thing about your chosen breed, not just your individual dog but the breed as a whole.

I know we all fight the temptation to suggest our breed to people because they are so awesome, but what is the most painful/obnoxious/difficult trait they possess? Give me the worst of the worst!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie Shepherd (I personally like this trait, but it would be difficult for people not prepared)

They need a job to do, and they are smarter than you.

If you don't give them one, they will find their own, and you might not like it!

For Borzoi, although their average lifespan of 10-13 years is quite good for such a big dog, it still isn't long enough for me. I would like my big hairy boofas to have the 18 year lifespans of some of the smaller breeds.

Yes, Diva!!

I think for the flat coats both best and worst depending on who you are is their absolute enthusiasm for absolutely everything. My mum cannot stand Gus's optimism, that he is ALWAYS excited to see her and she has to go through the routine of saying hi, throwing the ball or checking out whatever spitty toy he brings her and listening to him yammer lovingly at her whereas she likes a dog who gives you more space. Meanwhile I love it, I love having someone so happy greet me every day! You cannot be sad around a flattie!

Other than that the cancer and health problems suck suck suck. And possibly the predisposition to licking...haha.

For Borzoi, although their average lifespan of 10-13 years is quite good for such a big dog, it still isn't long enough for me. I would like my big hairy boofas to have the 18 year lifespans of some of the smaller breeds.

Totally OT, but I'm a closet Borzoi tragic. I think they're the most beautiful & elegant dogs on this earth (along with Salukis).

Back on topic, my Tibetan Spaniel breed can have cat-like qualities, including having a mind of their own. But I admire their attitude & have seen the positive side of it in action. Maybe people who believe in instant submission to their wish, would see it as stubborn. Tibbies ask 'And the point of this is...?' So they are open for negotiation ... but you have give them a reason to consider :)

Edited by mita

Things that I have learnt to live with and even appreciate, but which many find a 'challenge':

The barking - Pyrs bark to warn predators they are on duty. They are crepuscal so this can be worse at dawn and dusk. This can be a big challenge for owners with neighbours in earshot and needs careful management. Even then it can be an issue (prevented from barking they can stress as they are prevented from doing their job). This is generally a 'make or break' trait for most homes.

The escape artist tendencies - They are an independent breed bred to think for themselves and patrol large areas. If they can push out the boundaries of their territory to keep predators further away they will (by several miles). And they are not very good at listening to owners when 'on a mission'. There is a saying that an offlead Pyr is a disapyr. They are shape shifters who can go over, under or through. And once they know they can get out, they will keep trying to. A LOT of people underestimate their fencing needs.

The shedding - hair on and in everything. All. The. Time.

Their independence - now this is something I personally love as dogs that are constantly asking for things to do and jump to your every command drive me batty. But many can't handle the 'primitive' free thinking of a Pyr. Some call it stubbornness. It is more a case that they don't feel what you ask has any importance to them at that point in time. They have better things to do and can't see the point. Owning a Pyr is very much a partnership built on mutual respect and trust. They don't suffer fools.

Aussie Shepherd (I personally like this trait, but it would be difficult for people not prepared)

They need a job to do, and they are smarter than you.

If you don't give them one, they will find their own, and you might not like it!

Yes! I swear it's like living with a four year old human - "what's this thing?" *pokes and knocks thing over* "what does this do?" *pulls cord and nearly smashes the TV* "I'm hungry" *opens fridge to help self* "I'm bored" *pulls everything off the bench for no apparent reason* "what are you doing in there?" *opens door to see*

Sigh, so curious and clever.

But right now when there is hair EVERYWHERE, including in my nose and throat, coat drop is the worst thing :mad

Portuguese Podengo Pequeno - barking! Ping has a LOT to say! But I do love his enthusiasm for life "We're going for a car ride!!" "we're doing training!!!!" "Elsie is running!!!" "Elsie won't play with me!!!" "There's someone outside!!!" "There's someone on the other side of the baby gate!!!" "A bird farted!!!" "The chickens are close to the fence!!!" "Elsie is staring at something!!!"

And all the other typical sighthound behaviour, if that bothers you :)

Greyhound - the potential to break easily. Mine have been pretty good, most things that have happened can happen to any dog, but I do hold my breath when they are let off for a run.

This!

With great danes, the cost of anything to do with the vet. I can afford Whitney's vet bills, but it is something that must be considered if you happen to get a dog that needs medical care regularly. I know that I"ve paid over $25K at my vets during the life of my dogs.

Australian Cattle Dogs...

An occasional and somewhat unpredictable tendency to decide for themselves that someone or their dog needs a good scolding and maybe a bit of touch up as well. :(

Likes foraging. A bit too much.

Smarter than me - good at training me.

A really high pitched penetrating demanding scream-bark in the vocal repertoire.

Not as "big boned" as I thought they were. Oops.

Whippets: High speed running and fragile skin lead to skin tears and the odd impact injury. Thievery - they excell at bench surfing and treasure hunting. The "don't you feed your dog" comments. They DO have prey drive and it irritates the bejesus out of me when people expect them to live with pocket pets and poultry without incident. Yes, some do. But NOT all.

Poodles: Coat maintenance. Attitudes from people who think they're neurotic foo foos, not smart charming dogs who need to be treated as dogs and not pillow pets.

Ah, the Lapphund. The intelligent and stubborn Lapphund. There's a look mine gives me, and I'm sure other owners (as well as other Spitz breeds) know it. It says 'yes, I know what you asked me to do, I just don't want to. Nope. Not even for my dinner. Unless there's schmacko in it for me, it's not gonna happen'. Everything else ever is far more interesting than what you actually want them to do. There have been days when I just think 'why oh why didn't we just get a sweet biddable labrador'.

Also the coat drop.

Jack Russells- By far the worst thing about them is their insistance that if it moves.... chase it! It is not so strong in Jingo, but Tip was bad.... rwally bad. We could not trust him off lead, as he would find something... a bunny, a bird, a cat, a rodent, a lizard, and sadly, yes, snakes!