Showing Your Dog Empty Hands

hankdog

I'm one of those that hates having dogs around while preparing and eating food. And I don't have a treat culture either. neither could I stand to have a dog that everywhere we went we had to take a bunch of treats or a pouch with us. He just doesn't know what food treats are all about. he does what I ask for the reward of my acknowledgement and affection, not food treats. I love having a dog that is not obsessed by every piece of food in his presence.

However.....if I showed him my open hands, he'd probably try to lick them"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She tried to take a sandwitch from my hand once, that I was eating. I threw it out so she doesn't think discreetly licking it = hers now. Nope!

I have been known to eat things that Dozer has licked, apart from when he learnt to counter surf; he'd licked the remaining fluffernutter cookies until they were soaked, in the bin they went.

I do also do the nothing in my hands move, but he still has to check the floor and where we were sitting

No, I eat what I want, when I want. My dog gets what he gets. I give him treats but I'm not bribed. I have a shiba. You can't bribe a shiba... sigh...

Are you trying to tell me you don't even get the sad eyes or purposeful sighs while you eat? What witchcraft is this?!

Hahaha, I usually get Quinn sitting opposite me resting her chin on the coffee table,

Lili does exactly this too haha

I'm one of those that hates having dogs around while preparing and eating food. And I don't have a treat culture either. neither could I stand to have a dog that everywhere we went we had to take a bunch of treats or a pouch with us. He just doesn't know what food treats are all about. he does what I ask for the reward of my acknowledgement and affection, not food treats. I love having a dog that is not obsessed by every piece of food in his presence.

Somehow I feel a bit sorry for your dogs, if they never get treats :( There is no way I would go to work if I only got praise & a pat from my boss for a job well done !!

Somehow I feel a bit sorry for your dogs, if they never get treats :( There is no way I would go to work if I only got praise & a pat from my boss for a job well done !!

I don't dispense treats at home either or on walks. Mine only get treats during formal training. They do get a cookie every night though :)

Scottie works for love. His 'jackpot' is a huge tummy rub or cuddle. He's just not driven by food. If He was younger and I was a better trainer he'd probably work for a game of tug - so cuddles are good enough.

Because we rarely eat at the table (we're 'eat out of bowls on the couch' people, especially since our tiny dining area became the dog's pen area) Basker doesn't seem to realise what people sitting at a dinner table are doing, so he just looks for cuddles. When we eat in the living room he is either crated or in his pen so he's never learned that when humans eat, he gets food. Hopefully this can remain but he's only 9 months old so he has loads of time to learn bad habits.

If however I have been doing training and feeding bits of schmacko, I definitely have to the do 'all gone' hand gesture!

I don't dispense treats at home either or on walks. Mine only get treats during formal training. They do get a cookie every night though :)

BB is saying that her dogs never get treats, even in training. I always carry yummy treats on me when I go for a walk. I don't "dispense" them for nothing, but I always like to reward a great recall or for checking in without having to be recalled. They are not handed out as a bribe or a lure, but as a reward for something well done.

She tried to take a sandwitch from my hand once, that I was eating. I threw it out so she doesn't think discreetly licking it = hers now. Nope!

I have been known to eat things that Dozer has licked, apart from when he learnt to counter surf; he'd licked the remaining fluffernutter cookies until they were soaked, in the bin they went.

I do also do the nothing in my hands move, but he still has to check the floor and where we were sitting

I can't do that ;-( I'd try and then think of how loudly she licks her bits every night and urgh! Took me long enough to let her lick my face, thankfully not a big licker. XD

Her bits-licking haunts my dreams it's so loud. And she eats cat poop.

When we go hiking though, I'll relax the rules on ppl food but it's still be after I've eaten and provided she waited politely.

I dont see going for a walk or an outing as training. I never do formal training with my dog. Some people find it hard to imagine or understand, but after many dogs and many years of traditional types of training, i decided to go in the opposite direction with Gruf. I can say he is the happiest most relaxed dog I have ever had, and i believe, mostly as a result of having zero performance pressure in his life. I am quite sure people who have met him will attest to his good behaviour and relaxed nature. Yes i do things very differently. That does not however mean i want to preach to others. People are free to train and model their dogs behaviour whatever way they see fit as long as it is humane. Gruf does not know he is missing out on food rewards because he doesnt know what it is. He does get a food 'treat' at bedtime and if i am leaving him home alone for more than a few hrs. His life doesnt revolve around what performance he can show me to get a food reward. He just does stuff because he knows it will bring other benefits.

Gruf does not know he is missing out on food rewards because he doesnt know what it is.

Oh dear so sorry - I've corrupted him with a game of Its Yer Choice (ie no snatching) oops.

Evil hound put on a choral performance for the porridge bowl this morning. She can hear when I put it down (I'm finished) when she's at the other end of the back yard and I'm in the house...

Nope no issues here. If they begged or drooled they would be put outside. there is no begging. My kids can eat in the backseat of the car with a dog sitting between them and they won't even try and steal it. If they even look like sniffing they get growled at. They get what they get when I decide. I cannot stand begging

All my animals have worked for an "on ya" but Jake didn't have the knowledge of being patted. Strange dog, he would just sitt here like a table when you patted or praised him so he had to be food rewarded. My little chicken Lola will jump for mealworms too, and she begged like crazy when she was inside for a month after her dog attack. If she's out when I'm in the garden she will come over and make enquiries as to what food is available. I reckon you could train her to do amazing things.

I think OSoswift has super clear critiera on begging...

I can understand my dog being a bit fuzzy cos I don't have such clear critiera.

But in the kitchen - she has to stay on her mat when I'm doing food prep, and she's got that pretty clear.

And in the dining room aka lounge - she knows she can't touch the porridge bowl if I put it down full or half finished. I don't know how she knows the difference... but I've got a 3 minute video of her sleeping next to the forgotten porridge bowl... well done evil hound.

We're always training. There is no not-training time. If I'm not training her, she's training me.

If it was healthy to train with chips my dogs would be stars! I swear they can't hear me calling from the backyard but they can hear a chip packet open from 50 metres away :laugh:

I use treats for 'serious' training and praise for inbetween stuff unless I find treats in a pocket. I LOVE teaching Poppy new tricks and I think she gets a lot of enjoyment from it too. I call tell which tricks she thinks get the most attention because she'll run through them if she wants attention or food.

At the end I just clap and say 'all done' and hold my hands up. If Im kneeling down she puts her paws on my chest and I hug her. I could generally squish her to death at that point. :D

I don't think Gruf needs feeling sorry for! He has pretty good life by the sounds of it :)

I do use treats a lot but I asked about how it works a while back because I didn't believe that my dogs were really choosing to leave super exciting things they wanted to play with to come over to me for just half a Goodo, and huski in particular explained about the 'reward experience' and how we build that up with our dogs and it's more than just the actual treat that becomes rewarding to the dog. So you can create a reward experience that is meaningful to the dog without treats too.

I don't think Gruf needs feeling sorry for! He has pretty good life by the sounds of it :)

Yeh, I think Gruf does OK. Plus he "self rewards" when he finds all those special toys on his walks. It's quite mysterious how many lost soft toys are to be discovered in his part of the world ;)

Yeh, I think Gruf does OK. Plus he "self rewards" when he finds all those special toys on his walks. It's quite mysterious how many lost soft toys are to be discovered in his part of the world ;)

Haha yes. We have a special 'hunting ground' for pre loved soft toys :thumbsup: