Golden Paste - Tumeric

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking this is not to be given on a permanent basis? I think I read somewhere it can affect vital organs if fed long term.

But of course I can't find my source, Grrrrrr.....

Am I right in thinking this is not to be given on a permanent basis? I think I read somewhere it can affect vital organs if fed long term.

But of course I can't find my source, Grrrrrr.....

From what I have read golden paste is OK long term. It's Turmeric supplements with like 95% curcumin extract which is not great long term.

yes, a 3-5% curcumin content, which is what you get from typical ground/dry turmeric is ok long term :)

But what you have all failed to discuss in this thread is what this concoction is actually for? Some of us have no clue but are getting the sense it is for joints and arthritis? Is it supposed to reduce pain or inflammation or just help with maintaining mobility? We have an oldie here on Sacha's Blend for arthritis. She's a big, furry dog so what's a bet she ends up smelling like pee!?

But what you have all failed to discuss in this thread is what this concoction is actually for? Some of us have no clue but are getting the sense it is for joints and arthritis? Is it supposed to reduce pain or inflammation or just help with maintaining mobility? We have an oldie here on Sacha's Blend for arthritis. She's a big, furry dog so what's a bet she ends up smelling like pee!?

yeah you're right. sorry, I'd seen mention of it here and was like you, didn't really know what it was for. I'm feeding it for it's supposed inflammation reducing effects but it's supposed to help reduce tumours too. I'm on a facebook page and some people seem to think it has all sorts of healing abilities. I will wait and see. Here's a link for more information.

http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-for-dogs/how-to-feed-turmeric-for-dogs/

How much cinnamon do you put in, and just the normal ground cinnamon (that's all I have so that's all it can be!)? I have to make up some more this week! And I think that Nana Gem gets the smell - we ran out a couple of days ago and she hasn't been smelling!! Or I was imagining it!

1 tablespoon per batch but apparently it must be ceylon cinnamon

• 2 weeks later...

Well I don't know if it's the golden paste or something else, but Nana Gem is doing good!

She had a blood test yesterday to determine if it is safe to do some dental work (her teeth are shocking!!). A month ago she had elevated liver enzymes and low thyroid function. She's been with me for a month and on the golden paste for that month. Her bloods from yesterday show that liver and thyroid and not too far from perfect!!!

So now the manky teeth can be dealt with!

Well I don't know if it's the golden paste or something else, but Nana Gem is doing good!

She had a blood test yesterday to determine if it is safe to do some dental work (her teeth are shocking!!). A month ago she had elevated liver enzymes and low thyroid function. She's been with me for a month and on the golden paste for that month. Her bloods from yesterday show that liver and thyroid and not too far from perfect!!!

So now the manky teeth can be dealt with!

Awesome news!

yeah you're right. sorry, I'd seen mention of it here and was like you, didn't really know what it was for. I'm feeding it for it's supposed inflammation reducing effects but it's supposed to help reduce tumours too. I'm on a facebook page and some people seem to think it has all sorts of healing abilities. I will wait and see. Here's a link for more information.

http://www.turmericl...meric-for-dogs/

I'm careful not to taut it as a miracle cure for all, in brief it acts well as an anti-inflam, therefore good for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. Join any turmeric group and you'll be told of the 1001 it CURES! You can't help but have a little giggle really, but it's a shame because it takes away credibility. Thankfully there are literally thousands of clinical studies on Turmeric and the average Googler should be able to find those studies.

• 2 months later...

We started my sister's going on 13 year old husky/shep cross on the tumeric paste a week or so ago. Her mobility really deteriorated quickly the last couple of weeks (just no strength in her back legs - pain doesn't seem to be an issue) and we continue to struggle to get her weight back down since she had the emergency desex just over a year ago so I know the added weight is not helping.

How long does it take to see changes/improvements? Did anyone notice it doing anything adverse before it did something good? We've just had to take her in for a Synovan shot today because everything was so up and down with her so we are not sure if the tumeric is assisting or if things are just further deteriorating.

Also I jinxed us by joking she was going to be one of the few who started smelling like pee and she has! I've come into the thread to find out what we need to add to get rid of her new scent!

We started my sister's going on 13 year old husky/shep cross on the tumeric paste a week or so ago. Her mobility really deteriorated quickly the last couple of weeks (just no strength in her back legs - pain doesn't seem to be an issue) and we continue to struggle to get her weight back down since she had the emergency desex just over a year ago so I know the added weight is not helping.

How long does it take to see changes/improvements? Did anyone notice it doing anything adverse before it did something good? We've just had to take her in for a Synovan shot today because everything was so up and down with her so we are not sure if the tumeric is assisting or if things are just further deteriorating.

Also I jinxed us by joking she was going to be one of the few who started smelling like pee and she has! I've come into the thread to find out what we need to add to get rid of her new scent!

It's celyon cinnamon - not normal cinnamon for the smell.

As for adverse reactions and results - humans report detoxing - assume dogs might too. Certainly on facebook some people report feeling better instantly. Others report not notcing any difference. I take it (I have a a really bad back, neck, feet and and knees). I'm lucky in that I rarely ache but i do get a sore neck and my feet flair up occasionally. When I started taking it I didn't think it was doing much for me but I found when I ran out and didn't make a new batch I ached a lot until I got back onto it - knees and feet mainly.

So I take it because it doesnt do me any harm, and I think it helps, and I assume the same for Scottie and it's cheap to make - which is why I was drawn to it to start with - for all the joint supplements out there is the cheapest by far (IMO). But I do think you really need to give it a good month before you make a call.

• 6 months later...

How long does the batch you make last for? Is it kept in the fridge? And how much for humans vs dogs dosage? I got Tumeric powder yesterday, it doesn't say how much circumin is in it though. embarrass.gif

All my info is from facebook (and taking it). So here goes:

Lasts ages - but each batch of golden paste should be used up within 2 weeks. Kept in fridge.

Can be frozen indefinitely as far as I know - again - should be used within 2 weeks after coming out of the freezer.

Dose needs to be built up slowly. You start at.... about 1/8th teaspoon - several times a day - I think it stays in the body for approx 6 hours. Build up slowly to a point where you feel better - or you see the dog exhibiting signs of feeling better - if you take too much it upsets your stomach (same for dogs). As a side note I accidentally over dosed Scottie the first day and he pooed 3 times on a walk around the block :eek:

T powder rarely has the circumin content on it - but it's fairly safe to assume that the stuff from the supermarket is lower in C - BUT I've never found much difference between supermarket and vege market stuff - myself.

There is a test you can do - you mix some or set some in water - more pure T powder will settle with minimum discoloration of the water. The less pure stuff will colour the water orange.

How long does the batch you make last for? Is it kept in the fridge? And how much for humans vs dogs dosage? I got Tumeric powder yesterday, it doesn't say how much circumin is in it though. embarrass.gif

All my info is from facebook (and taking it). So here goes:

Lasts ages - but each batch of golden paste should be used up within 2 weeks. Kept in fridge.

Can be frozen indefinitely as far as I know - again - should be used within 2 weeks after coming out of the freezer.

Dose needs to be built up slowly. You start at.... about 1/8th teaspoon - several times a day - I think it stays in the body for approx 6 hours. Build up slowly to a point where you feel better - or you see the dog exhibiting signs of feeling better - if you take too much it upsets your stomach (same for dogs). As a side note I accidentally over dosed Scottie the first day and he pooed 3 times on a walk around the block :eek:

T powder rarely has the circumin content on it - but it's fairly safe to assume that the stuff from the supermarket is lower in C - BUT I've never found much difference between supermarket and vege market stuff - myself.

There is a test you can do - you mix some or set some in water - more pure T powder will settle with minimum discoloration of the water. The less pure stuff will colour the water orange.

Ah, thanks for all that helpful info SM, much appreciated.

I just had the supermarket powder, so ended up making a half batch of it, as I didn't have enough to make a full batch lol.

I left out the pepper because I can't stand pepper, and now it's in the fridge in a glass jar and I've dated it as well.

I gave my dog probably 1/5th of a teaspoon of it, smeared on a piece of my toast. She ate it up, then looked for more, so she got to lick the spoon.

I've not tried it myself yet, I'm going to dip the spoon in and take a tiny taste first. I'll make sure to wait at least 6 hours before the dog has anymore as well. Don't want poo explosions anywhere lol

You only want organic Turmeric or Turmeric with a guarantee of ground 4-5% curcumin. Curcumin is the active ingredient and is often removed to sell separately this is why you'd probably be wasting your time on any other Turmeric.

I get my (5% Curcumin content) turmeric from here http://www.countrypa...ric-powder-1kg/

I keep it in the fridge.

I think Westiemum buys her turmeric from the NSW branch, I buy it from Ruth at the Qld shop, lovely people to deal with, very helpful

Ah, thanks WM for the link, I'll order some this week, that's a reasonable price too. :D

You only want organic Turmeric or Turmeric with a guarantee of ground 4-5% curcumin. Curcumin is the active ingredient and is often removed to sell separately this is why you'd probably be wasting your time on any other Turmeric.

THanks sas, looks like the one from the supermarket has to be binned then and I'll get the one WM recommended. Oh well, at least I know the dog likes the taste. :laugh:

ETA: Super impressed with the service from the link you gave for the tumeric paste, I put in an order online today, lady rang me, I paid, it's now been shipped. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cazablanca

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I do Boronia - the country park herbs people are marvellous - I also got my cinnamon from them as well. Just beautiful stuff! I'll never go back to the stuff from the supermarket after using this! thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum