Second Dog

Henrietta

Poodles love chasey they are not a breed to want to wrestle, generally they keep up quite well with whippets but would probably have a bit more stamina.

I wouldn't go for a toy poodle if you are considering the breed as they are a lot more delicate than the minis.

I would also advise to stick with blacks I'd you are looking at poodles, they generally are better quality and have the most stable temperaments.

Pondengo - Portuguese Podengo Pequeno- Your gorgeous Ping is one, right? Again, I'd have to look into the breed.

Yes my lovely Ping is a podengo. His breeder is based in QLD and breeds whippets (and cats) too :) There are currently 2 podengo litters on the ground in QLD so would be a good time to meet babies!

I think pods could fit your criteria, they are very small and very lively! Busy busy busy! They are generally a healthy and very long lived breed, there are few health issues in the breed. Absolutely wash and wear. Some seem very outgoing and confident, but I have heard of shy ones. Ping is very friendly with all dogs and people, but he does not like big strange dogs running at him so I am careful where I have him off lead (I do not take him to dog parks). He plays really rough with my other dog though (whippet sized). Pods are good in the heat. I think Ping needs a lot more exercise than a whippet, he is exercised as much as my border collie x jack russell and is always ready for more. As for sports, I think they have a lot of potential as they love to have fun and are pretty confident, you just need to make the sport fun.

On Schipps, my best friend has one (Ping's wife we call her lol) and she isn't that keen on the heat here in NZ, I would worry about long walks in the day in QLD with her.

I saw someone suggest Powderpuff Chinese Crested above thumbsup1.gif they are awesome!!! My SIL has two, one is a puppy and it is the coolest little ratbag. It plays with her 10 week old Nubian goats in the backyard and it's SO adorable - had us cracking up for ages. They're really spunky, awesome little dogs.

Also Min Pins. They're very groovy little dogs, I've met a couple at a breeders and they are so charismatic and cheerful.

Paps are on the maybe list. And I really like the pointers too, but maybe ideally too large? What other gundogs have you lived with/handled SD?

Im a Setter person but also handle Springers but have owned & handled other gundog breeds .I prefer big dogs although have lived with little people

I nearly ended up with a whippet/kelpie mix earlier in the year on account of looking for something that could keep up on a run and get along well enough with my Swedish vallhund. The vall plays rough with his close friends, but strictly no contact with new friends. He is very conscious of body space and is considerate with dogs that don't want contact. He loves to chase, and he is happy to role switch and do some running away as well.

Coincidentally, I decided something smaller would be better and am now getting one of Ping's sisters from one of the current litters. I would not be doing this if I wasn't looking for a pint-sized fitness pal! I'd stick with my portable, clever, robust, biddable vallhund. I have some 10+km bush trails to shred, though, and no dogs that will shred them with me. The hund boys are more casual scrunchers than shredders. :p

We have 2 Brittanys (French type rather than American type). They are small females, Scout weighs around 14kg and really only needs brushing on her ears, she is quite smooth with a bit of feathering. I presume the pup will weigh about the same since it is her pup :) I have seen Brits a lot bigger (and hairier) than my two.

You are correct that they like to hunt at a distance on walks and for that reason I can think of nicer dogs to have as a pet. There are a lot of places I wouldn't walk Scout. We recently bought GPS collars for hunting trips although she is very good at keeping an eye on her owners and has an excellent recall. The only whippet Scout has met she liked a lot and they chased each other at high speeds! Scout likes that sort of game much more than wrestling type games. All the springers I know are working type ones and they seem similar but stay a bit closer. A friend we walk with has a welsh springer (show lines) and he is a lovely pet dog but quite hairy. Not sure if it is because he was neutered young but his bushy coat catches everything so his owner gave up and keeps him shaved shorter. If I wanted a dog with gundog attributes but didn't want a hunting dog I would rate Welshies quite highly.

Both our Brittanys (and the one I look after when her owners are away) are very lazy, comfort seeking, couch potatoes in the house. Very loyal and cuddly breed. Camo the 4 month old pup seems to stay a lot closer so she only gets walked with my 2 Border collies who orbit pretty close.

Two mid size breeds I would highly recommend as delightful happy dogs who would not overpower your whippet...

Tibetan Spaniel and the Lagotta.....

Both harder to get perhaps but definitely worth the effort.

All the lagoon's i have ever met are temperamentally unstable.

They also have high level grooming needs.