Dogs And Rural Fences

Morgan brand

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is everyone dogs with rural fencing for example ring lock and barb wire. Does anyone have any problems with keeping their dogs In?

Judging by the number of dogs roaming in the local rural subdivisions, a lot of people do.

I'd not trust my dogs lives to it.

We are moving to a property with small ringlock at the bottom and I think it gets bigger towards the top and some barb wire along the top. Our sharpei has a problem with chasing sheep just need to know how fences will keep him in or what I can do to contain him on our yard

It's fully fenced with brand new fences I've been told. He won't jump or dig to get to them. We currently live on a property with broken fences and he chases them when he can get to them. When the sheep are in the front paddock they are safe because the fences are semi ok not completely broken so he doesn't even bother when there's a half decent fence

ringlock and barb for a dog unused to such fences , but with high prey drive , is inviting trouble :( I would not do it , unless my dogs had very good training , and little prey drive.

I once trained one of my dogs to never step thru a plain 4 wire fence unless I was there to magically open it ;) he was taught from a puppy .Luckily he never wanhted to really chase anything!

I'm not sure if the sheep will be visible to him as the sheep will be in the vineyards which is behind the property and behind the vineyards there's a dam so he probably won't even see them. His eye sight is very poor too he can barely see a metre ahead of him haha

What does everyone do to contain their dogs on their property?

Most people I know living rurally have a house yard with more secure fencing and/or a run. Otherwise the dog live on chains when not working or with their owners and that's not an option I favour.

If he gets out (and there's a good chance he will) its likely to be a death sentence for the sheep and him.

He won't jump or dig to get to them.

..and how do you know this for sure ? has he been to the new place and seen the sheep thru that fence?

Sorry .. with living things there are no definites, really ;)

Dog runs can be sourced from online sale sites/freecycle ( look for chook pen , stock pen...) ..and you can start off small/secure, and work up , with time and expertise ;)

We have chicken wire with a wooden rail on the front, ringlock and barb on the other 3 sides that back onto the neighbours cow paddock. Would chsnge it to chicken wire and rails if we could, much more secure. Our dogs have never bern inclined to get through it, even when the coes tease them. We are very lucky though!

What does everyone do to contain their dogs on their property?

On my mums working property - the working (sheep) dogs are in an enclosure with 8 foot fences and a padlocked gate. The bottom is secure with an "L" of wire on the bottom - so if they're standing at the fence trying to dig they can't get out.

The boys have hunting dogs too - when they're living at home (the boys that is) - the dogs are in runs, with a human or at work with the boys.