Help I Am New And Not Sure Where To Buy A Pomeranian

miss_blue99

HI everyone,

i am new to this forum. I am also a non pet owner but in the past two weeks i have decided i want to get a Pomeranian. I have been looking around i really want a miniture white male Pom but as i started looking online and emailing some of the ads (on this site and Trading post). i have started to wonder if most of the ads are fraud, some of the ppl i have emailed have responded with we are interstate now, if u like we can fly the dog out to u, which makes me wonder how do ppl normally or where do they buy there pets?

i would never purchase online and leave a deposit without even seeing the dog (what if i didnt like its personality?) what if the "owner takes my money" and never responds or send me my piuppy?

Also am i right to assume that this website has nothing but fraudsters: http://sydney.cracker.com.au/PetsForSale/

- all the ppl i have emailed there have had some sort of sob story and asking you to send money because they relocated to WA or wherever...

The other thing i was wondering miniture pom or pom? Would miniture pom have alot of medical problems?

I was also comparing between Pom and Chihuahua (cause the Chihuahua is small) but i have been told the Chihuahua has bad temper

There is no such thing as a miniature Pom. You need to do some more research and I suggest you start with Pomeranian breed clubs. Google would help you find them. There is a big difference between Poms and Chi's, one of the biggest is the coat. These little dogs can live well into their teens so will be with you for a long time. Slow down and take your time, it will be worth it in the long run.

There is no such thing as a miniature Pom. You need to do some more research and I suggest you start with Pomeranian breed clubs. Google would help you find them. There is a big difference between Poms and Chi's, one of the biggest is the coat. These little dogs can live well into their teens so will be with you for a long time. Slow down and take your time, it will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the response I have read a fair bit on poms... I understand if they are small they may not necessarily be healthy. etc i guess i can't jump into purhcasing just yet i still have a lot of research ahead i just don't know which one would suit my lifestyle better. Although i am single and i don't have too much time during the day to play with it... until late in the evening (so i dont want to be a bad owner either).

HI everyone,

i am new to this forum. I am also a non pet owner but in the past two weeks i have decided i want to get a Pomeranian. I have been looking around i really want a miniture white male Pom but as i started looking online and emailing some of the ads (on this site and Trading post). i have started to wonder if most of the ads are fraud, some of the ppl i have emailed have responded with we are interstate now, if u like we can fly the dog out to u, which makes me wonder how do ppl normally or where do they buy there pets?

i would never purchase online and leave a deposit without even seeing the dog (what if i didnt like its personality?) what if the "owner takes my money" and never responds or send me my piuppy?

Also am i right to assume that this website has nothing but fraudsters: http://sydney.cracke...au/PetsForSale/

- all the ppl i have emailed there have had some sort of sob story and asking you to send money because they relocated to WA or wherever...

The other thing i was wondering miniture pom or pom? Would miniture pom have alot of medical problems?

I was also comparing between Pom and Chihuahua (cause the Chihuahua is small) but i have been told the Chihuahua has bad temper

many many people get puppies /dogs flown from interstate , if you want one locally, you may be on a waiting list for some time for the right puppy :)

have a read here : CLICK

If you go to these two threads , you will find all sorts of helpful and FACTUAL information on poms and chi's : POMERANIAN CHIHUAHUA

a MUST READ -"Before You Get Your Puppy "

And on general dog ownership - CLICK HERE and HERE

I hope this is helpful :)

Dogs with long coats require regular grooming so they don't end up with mats. What would the dog do while you aren't around? I work but my dogs go out for an hour of a morning to puppy park and for a walk and then we play when I get home of an afternoon and spend evenings together, with them sleeping in my room. While I'm at work (8hrs in total) they have bones and toys to keep them amused.

If you only intend to spend a few minutes a day with the dog, then that's not really fair on the animal.

Although i am single and i don't have too much time during the day to play with it... until late in the evening (so i dont want to be a bad owner either).

If you want a companion /house pet -, and an introduction to living with an animal , something to groom , to play with, and snuggle with - why not consider a cat ? There are some breeds who are 'dog-like' in their behaviour - and they can be taught tricks etc .Cats are also content to sleep all day if there is nothing else happening ....and are more likely to find their own fun without yapping and having neighbours complain ;)

Registered purebred breeders flying puppies interstate is not unusual.

How can you tell if they are registered breeders?

they will be registered with their state's kennel control ..they will have a prefix - like "Po po poms' .. and they will have pedigrees available .

THIS explains it well :)

excerpt :

What is a ‘registered’ breeder?When people refer to a ‘registered’ breeder, they are referring to a breeder which is registered with an ANKC member body (such as Dogs SA, Dogs Victoria, and so forth). A registered breeder should be able to show a membership card with their name, their prefix, and a membership number on it.

Some people call themselves a ‘registered breeder’ because they are registered with the council. While many councils require breeders to be registered with them, it is not any type of endorsement for the welfare of the animals that are maintained or bred at the facility.

Although i am single and i don't have too much time during the day to play with it... until late in the evening (so i dont want to be a bad owner either).

If you want a companion /house pet -, and an introduction to living with an animal , something to groom , to play with, and snuggle with - why not consider a cat ? There are some breeds who are 'dog-like' in their behaviour - and they can be taught tricks etc .Cats are also content to sleep all day if there is nothing else happening ....and are more likely to find their own fun without yapping and having neighbours complain ;)

Couldn't agree more.

Cats can be destructive if they don't get enough attention. They can also be vindictive. Both of my cats at one time or another,toileted on belongings of people they did not care for. I had one ex ask me why the cat only ever peed on his things. Saw him having a go at her one day when he didn't expect me there and told him that was why.

Cats can be destructive if they don't get enough attention. They can also be vindictive. Both of my cats at one time or another,toileted on belongings of people they did not care for. I had one ex ask me why the cat only ever peed on his things. Saw him having a go at her one day when he didn't expect me there and told him that was why.

So can dogs so not sure what point your trying to make?? But for many people who don't want to take the dog out a cat is a very good alternative that sill provides comapny without the extra work a dog needs & being outside .

Pets need work otherwise they find there own amusement.

To the OP if you have just decided you want a dog then researching the breeds & what will best suit your lifestyle can be a 6/12 month process.

Rushing out to buy a dog will lead to it not being a success.

So you need to decide

What breed

How much coat.coated breeds need brushing weekly & that means training from a pup

What do you want to do with your dog,go for walks etc

Toilet training will do be using the backyard or do you want to train to use an indoor loo.

What do you want out of your dog,companionship/guard etc etc

What sort of training are you will to provide put in .Yoy breeds whilst small still require the same amount of work as a large dog to socialize,lead train & teach not to yap .

Poms & chis DO NOT come in min size .

Most animals , if their needs are not met , or if they receive rough treatment, may react in ways humans don't like

.Dogs might chew up the power cords, the pillows, or expensive shoes .Inappropriate urination can occur with most animals ....

So can dogs so not sure what point your trying to make?? But for many people who don't want to take the dog out a cat is a very good alternative that sill provides comapny without the extra work a dog needs & being outside .

Pets need work otherwise they find there own amusement.

To the OP if you have just decided you want a dog then researching the breeds & what will best suit your lifestyle can be a 6/12 month process.

Rushing out to buy a dog will lead to it not being a success.

So you need to decide

What breed

How much coat.coated breeds need brushing weekly & that means training from a pup

What do you want to do with your dog,go for walks etc

Toilet training will do be using the backyard or do you want to train to use an indoor loo.

What do you want out of your dog,companionship/guard etc etc

What sort of training are you will to provide put in .Yoy breeds whilst small still require the same amount of work as a large dog to socialize,lead train & teach not to yap .

Poms & chis DO NOT come in min size .

Good post :)

Someone had suggested a cat as an alternative to a dog if the owner wasn't going to be around much as "they can find their own amusement". I was merely pointing out this "amusement" can be as destructive as that of a bored dog. They may not bark, but cats can cause mass ruination if the mood strikes.

Love cats, love dogs and personally think a cat would provide much better protection than the toy breeds suggested.....

Wow ok thanks everyone for the input... Im sure i am not the only one who works 5 days a week during business hours! Surely there are ppl out there that work and have pets...

I have done some more research and discovered that you can keep a puppy in a play pen with their crate and pee pad as well as water etc while i am not home so they cant cause destruction outside of their designated area.

i have also had contact with a breeder regarding a chi and i explained that i wont be around during the days because of work and she said that most chis will be fine while i am out and will show alot of affection once i come home in the afternoon.

Apparently this last Chi (male is very calm and happy and can happily entertain himself), might check him out over the coming weekend and see for myself if he would make a good fit for my lifestyle

Also am i right to assume that this website has nothing but fraudsters: http://sydney.cracker.com.au/PetsForSale/

Correct. Scammers.

Go the breed clubs, go to a dog show to meet some real dogs, get some recommendations.

Personally I think if you only have time late in the evening you need to think about what you are willing to change in your life to give any pet more than a couple of hours a day. I don't think it's fair to a companion animal at all.

missblue :) you might enjoy a bit of fun with these quizzes ! click here

and, here's some smiles .

LOOK

Thanks Persephone you are a wealth of knowledge :) and thanks for not being judgemental with post!

Interesting thought about the cat, but tbh i am not a big fan... i prefer dogs :)

Edited by miss_blue99

Wow ok thanks everyone for the input... Im sure i am not the only one who works 5 days a week during business hours! Surely there are ppl out there that work and have pets...

Ofcourse nearly all of us do & that is where the dedication comes in,some work all day & then go out alot at nights & weekends & that isn't fair on the dog .

Big or small they need mental stimulation ,

Yes you can use a puppy pen for your puppy make sure its a safe & sturdy one.

Both breed can be suspectable to Hypoglycemia especially in the puppy stage & a good breeder should give you good hints & info about this & how to minimize the risk more so if your working long hrs