Snake Savvy Dog

Willem

think it is hard to find a record that someone has been actually bitten by a Huntsman...but no, she can't stand them and they have to go too...

Nobody much reports huntman bites because they're about as bad as mozzie bites and you really have to handle and annoy one to get bitten.

How do I know? One of my friends used to keep them as pets, and I also spent a bit of time with the spider guy at the SA museum.

I've actually accidentally put my finger on one and destroyed her egg (oops). She didn't bite me. Dumb spider set up inside the roll of paper towel so next time I used it - urk.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bitten by a Huntsman... and lucky me has a nasty reaction to them... blows up into a huge boil thing that needs lancing and stuff. Any Huntsman that comes into my house and shows itself dies... simple!

T.

I've been bitten by a Huntsman... and lucky me has a nasty reaction to them... blows up into a huge boil thing that needs lancing and stuff. Any Huntsman that comes into my house and shows itself dies... simple!

T.

wow...how did you manage this?...did you step on it or sit on it?.....I had Redbacks crawling over my hands and Huntsmen dropping from the ceiling on my head (when I tried to remove them), but I never got bitten. I heard that white-tailed spiders can be a little bit nasty...and of course the funnel webs, but I actually never saw a funnel web spider here in the Illawarra.

I was driving and the spider decided to crawl on my neck... so I slapped at it not knowing what it was... and the bugger bit me! He was a good sized one too - about the size of an adult man's hand!

Next day I had this huge boil on my neck and had to go to the doctor to have it sorted... not pleasant!

T.

I was driving on an unlimited country road too... won't tell you how fast I was going... but note that I was 19 and had friends in the car... *sigh*

Sometimes I wonder how I managed to see adulthood... errr!

T.

I was driving and the spider decided to crawl on my neck... so I slapped at it not knowing what it was... and the bugger bit me! He was a good sized one too - about the size of an adult man's hand!

Next day I had this huge boil on my neck and had to go to the doctor to have it sorted... not pleasant!

T.

This is my worst nightmare = spider in car.

OMG T!!!!!!!!

I would have crashed my car for sure!

me too!

I don't mind them if they are just sitting still on a wall that is not my bedroom, or in a web or similar, but on ceilings and in cars or if they are crawling - nope nope nope.

This stems from an experience i had as a small child, i was rollerblading and a ginormous one crawled out of my rollerblade, up into my shirt and then onto my shoulder.

of course i ran around screaming and my mum thought i was just being stupid and told me to go away laugh.gif

It was traumatising.

Anyway, off topic.

My dogs have never come across a small snake to my knowledge, but we did come across a python whilst hiking, about 2M long (he was huge! probably would have eaten one of my dogs ) and they literally jumped right over him. Didn't notice the snake at all :laugh:

They know to avoid toads though without training, so hopefully that would extend to a snake.

Though Kokoda does chase lizards.. so i don't have high hopes for him.

I had a silly horse who used to carry on about every single twig we went past so I figured that we would be safe from snakes. But no he didn't even notice the one snake that we did actually come across! Walked straight over it!

I had a silly horse who used to carry on about every single twig we went past so I figured that we would be safe from snakes. But no he didn't even notice the one snake that we did actually come across! Walked straight over it!

laugh.gif logic

T.

I guess you left the huntsman no chance, they have pretty big fangs and if you slap it while it is sitting on your skin ...the fangs have to go somewhere...well, makes you quite unique, I assume there are not many out there who can wipe 'bitten by a huntsman' from their bucket list :D ...

That's a good story :)

the 'snake savvy' bit is interesting .

I have seen that behaviour when youngsters first spot a skink, or a large beetle !

the wariness, the sniffing, the quick movements ..

I guess it is an instinctive protective set of movements - which may be lessened over many generations of breeding ?

I have a funny video of Quinn doing it the first time she encountered a tree covered in empty cicada shells, she was sooo confused because they obviously looked like creatures gripping on to the tree trunk but must have smelled weird and none of them moved (obviously, being just empty shells). She sniffed around for aaages and every time she actually touched one with her nose she'd leap back :laugh:

She has encountered a lizard and a frog in the yard and has just stood barking at them, so I don't think she'd go after a snake. The lizard and frog just stood frozen until I took the dogs away though whereas a snake might strike so I hope I never have to find out what she'd actually do.

...my wife freaks out when she sees a snake or a spider...no matter what kind of snake or spider. Once I got a call at work that she saw a snake in the study - at the time the study was our storage and you could hardly open the door because it was full of 'rubbish'....I drove home and spent 2 days looking for this invisible snake; all I found were a few lizards, and she saw only the tail, but she was 1 Mill percent sure that it wasn't a lizard but a snake :) ....

wrt Huntsman: she knows they are the good spiders, eating all the cockroaches, Redback spiders and are pretty shy anyway - I think it is hard to find a record that someone has been actually bitten by a Huntsman...but no, she can't stand them and they have to go too...

I have been bitten 3 times by huntsmans, very sore and itchy and a nasth headache that goes for 3 or 4 days. But not too bad on the scheme of things. They are good spideys, I just don't hang my jacket outside anymore :)

Oh and I react to all bitey things. First huntsman bit was just insanely itchy and was about 50cent piece size on my foot. The other two were on my neck - funnily enough the spiders got offended at nearly gettimg squished in my jacket collar. They were very angry red and made me unwell. Fairly typical for me though

: :thumbsup: Thank you for not being one of those rednecks who think the only good snake is a dead one.

Yeah sorry Caz - but thats me - morbid childhood fear of them - can't even watch them on telly!!! (At least I'm honest - but I'm not a redneck!laugh.gif)

Nooo, not you WM. :laugh:

I was more referring to the typical redneck types who go round and chop snakes heads off, well...just because they are a snake, doesn't matter if it's a harmless python, they'll kill it.

T.

That's about the same reaction I have to mozzie bites... sigh.

I use voltaren gel and anti histamine to help reduce the itching.

T.

wow...how did you manage this?...did you step on it or sit on it?.....I had Redbacks crawling over my hands and Huntsmen dropping from the ceiling on my head (when I tried to remove them), but I never got bitten. I heard that white-tailed spiders can be a little bit nasty...and of course the funnel webs, but I actually never saw a funnel web spider here in the Illawarra.

We get heaps of them here and nasty is an understatement. They're easily the most aggro spiders I've ever come across and they seem to enjoy hanging out in places you might need at night- I've found them on the bathroom floor, on the towel rack in the bathroom, in the kitchen sink, wandering up the hallway and even in one of the dogs' bowls. They're not the sort of spider you can trap under a glass and take outside, either. The last one I saw, it ran up the hallway at me with its front legs and fangs up, presumably not for cuddles. I threw a shoe at it to buy myself some time and retreated for the flyspray. The only good white-tailed spider is one that is buried under a foamy pile of Mortein.

1456998876[/url]' post='6792981']
1456871715[/url]' post='6792475']
1456870940[/url]' post='6792469']

T.

We get heaps of them here and nasty is an understatement. They're easily the most aggro spiders I've ever come across and they seem to enjoy hanging out in places you might need at night- I've found them on the bathroom floor, on the towel rack in the bathroom, in the kitchen sink, wandering up the hallway and even in one of the dogs' bowls. They're not the sort of spider you can trap under a glass and take outside, either. The last one I saw, it ran up the hallway at me with its front legs and fangs up, presumably not for cuddles. I threw a shoe at it to buy myself some time and retreated for the flyspray. The only good white-tailed spider is one that is buried under a foamy pile of Mortein.

I'll stick to the huntsmen.. That is terrifying.