How Would You

I am also sensitive to too much loud noise and constant barking is something that I can't stand, especially really high pitched barks, if the dogs are being too noisy in the yard they are told to come in and I close the door.

My reason for wanting a bigger block is the so there is more space between neighbours and more trees/shrubs can be planted to buffer any barking.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say people should consider these things from the start ,dog limits happens in most places so I think one should always consider how many dogs and kids is workable .

Personally I don't see the reason a worthy one if one has lived in the house that long and new it was small

Seriously??? Your obviously a pretty nasty person in real life.

Maybe I should have terminated the pregnancy and we could have gone on our merry way, would that have made you happier?

We have spent the last 20 years puting our dogs first, even before buying this house we rented crap places just to have our dogs, even now majority of our life revolves around them, I have even kept doing a job that's physically damaging so I don't have to leave them at home all day alone.

We could have paid our house off if we never had any animals or did so much rescue work so don't dare criticise me for the direction my life

is taking.

Um take a chill pill .You have posted a question & i answered honestly i you don;t like the answer well maybe it hit home to hard BUT if people choice to take on Multi dogs then you do so knowing it comes with management .

Nasty no i just don't see your reason as a good one to offload some dogs each to there own & yes i own multi dogs .

As for your comment to terminate your pregnancy that is DISGUSTING & that is your comments not mine & i said no where to do that so who is nasty i said if people want Kids & multi dogs & a small house then you now what you have signed up for especially with dog limits .

Your risk .

I am also sensitive to too much loud noise and constant barking is something that I can't stand, especially really high pitched barks, if the dogs are being too noisy in the yard they are told to come in and I close the door.

My reason for wanting a bigger block is the so there is more space between neighbours and more trees/shrubs can be planted to buffer any barking.

You would need a couple of hundred acres for this!!

A dog near my last house used to annoy the crap out of me because it was barking at night. All the properties were acreage and the barking dog was a good distance away. It seriously sounded like it was in my back yard!

I can't believe anyone would suggest not being open honest and upfront with the local council about the number of dogs! If the OP took that risk and then had to admit to it, I think that would see them fare worse with the council than if they were honest to begin with. Besides who'd want to live every day waiting for the knock on the door. Do the right thing from the get go and every one can relax. After being involved in rescue, it was one of the biggest issues that saw dogs need rehoming........got the dog first then asked the landlord/council. Lying is not good advice.

In regards to moving if you are wanting to continue working from home you need to make sure that the council will allow that too. Even if you move within the same district, get it in writing before you buy.

Speaking solely for myself, if some one moved in next door to me with yappy dogs I'd be down the council within a few days if they didn't settle. Even half a dozen little yapfests a day would drive me completely up the wall. No one should have to put up with barking dogs.

I don't have any advice regarding choosing a dog to rehome but do advise being up front and checking local regulations regarding dog numbers, exemption permits and home based business etc before you commit to a new place.

Good luck.

Out of curiosity - (approximately) how old are the kids?

No I'm not going to suggest you give one of them up ;) One is obviously a new born - but for a few years there my sister and then I had a caravan in the yard - Gave us both the privacy we wanted and was safe enough for mum to be OK with it.

Even if it's not a suitable solution for sleeping in maybe you could look at one of those little cabana / garden room type sheds as a rumpus room or study? I had a google - victoria seems to be very strict on granny flats (NSW relaxed laws a few years ago) but maybe it would be worth looking at an external room with a couch, desk and play stuff & some secure, well planned storage- it could be used to just give everyone space. I imagine it would be adaptable as the family needs changed too. This is a littel studio - a bit more than I was suggesting - but they're a vic based group :

http://avalongrannyflats.com.au/one-bedroom/escarpment/

I know when hubby and I lived in a one bed flat for a 6 months the hardest part was just being on top of each other - there was no space to just go and be quiet if the other one was home.

I suppose the other option is to look at storage and furniture solutions - lots of really cool features becoming more and more accessible and affordable - just google "tiny house living" gets lots of hits...

Edited by Scottsmum

No I'm not going to suggest you give one of them up ;) One is obviously a new born - but for a few years there my sister and then I had a caravan in the yard - Gave us both the privacy we wanted and was safe enough for mum to be OK with it.

Even if it's not a suitable solution for sleeping in maybe you could look at one of those little cabana / garden room type sheds as a rumpus room or study? I had a google - victoria seems to be very strict on granny flats (NSW relaxed laws a few years ago) but maybe it would be worth looking at an external room with a couch, desk and play stuff & some secure, well planned storage- it could be used to just give everyone space. I imagine it would be adaptable as the family needs changed too. This is a littel studio - a bit more than I was suggesting - but they're a vic based group :

http://avalongrannyflats.com.au/one-bedroom/escarpment/

I know when hubby and I lived in a one bed flat for a 6 months the hardest part was just being on top of each other - there was no space to just go and be quiet if the other one was home.

I suppose the other option is to look at storage and furniture solutions - lots of really cool features becoming more and more accessible and affordable - just google "tiny house living" gets lots of hits...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/265251-advice-opinions-please/

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/263139-kids-sharing-bedrooms/page__p__6701363__fromsearch__1#entry6701363

... yadda yadda yadda snip...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/265251-advice-opinions-please/

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/263139-kids-sharing-bedrooms/page__p__6701363__fromsearch__1#entry6701363

Ah.... thanks Sars...

Well - I still vote bungalow - come study / break out space or caravan/sleep out if its safe for the nearly teenage son. and its feasible for other reasons.

Showdog I actually find you rude and obnoxious, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on if I should rehome any dogs or about my lifestyle, it may not even need to happen and I've had a multi dog house for almost 20 years its not anything new.

The house was just manageable without the extra child, oh and if I had a crystal ball I would have bought a bigger house before all this happened.

Bungalow etc is also not an option it's not just the extra bedroom we need, plus we would have to pull down brand new fences and reconfigure the entire backyard which means chopping down trees.

Showdog I actually find you rude and obnoxious, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on if I should rehome any dogs or about my lifestyle, it may not even need to happen and I've had a multi dog house for almost 20 years its not anything new.

The house was just manageable without the extra child, oh and if I had a crystal ball I would have bought a bigger house before all this happened.

Bungalow etc is also not an option it's not just the extra bedroom we need, plus we would have to pull down brand new fences and reconfigure the entire backyard which means chopping down trees.

Bummer.

I know you said no extensions - and I pointed that our to someone else ... but can you go up? Either second story or an attic room?

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh Rascal. What a pickle!

Your dogs are gorgeous!

You know what came to mind (completely unrelated to actual thread subject).. those cots that clip onto the side of the bed. So baby/toddler is with you - but kinda not with you!

We have outgrown our 3br house too - I mean it was squashy with 2 kids, its feeling very full with baby as well!

Sorry about the rude person in the thread :(

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

It's so bloody hard having to make the decisions on behalf of kids & pets.

Everything will work out :) :) :)

Unfortunately as far as I know we are not allowed to add another story, also can't afford it.

Selling and buying again is our best option because of the amount of equity we have in this house, it's almost tripled in value since we bought it.

Well that's a huge positive in some ways :)

The bank would have no problem lending us the money but paying it back is the problem. We are also in a little court and there is restrictions on extending up.

If we sell move we will get a house (and possibly block) twice the size and have a smaller home loan to pay back.

My dogs are Rascal 7years ( I would never let him go he's our only foster failure)

Astro turning 5 (he wouldn't leave my side while pregnant)

Claudia turning 4 (she is my princess and probably also my kids favourite so we couldn't let her go)

Hugo the poodle ( naughty but very bonded to myself and my daughter)

Chloe just turned 1 (I love living with this girl she is loud and spunky, just had patella surgery and I can't imagine her not in our lives, also due to her being such a barker she could potentially end up going from home to home)

Rascal...""Would never let him go '' Keep him.

Claudia... "kids favorite '' Keep her.

Chloe.."" Can't imagine her not in our lives". Keep her.

Re home ..Astro and Hugo .

The bank would have no problem lending us the money but paying it back is the problem. We are also in a little court and there is restrictions on extending up.

If we sell move we will get a house (and possibly block) twice the size and have a smaller home loan to pay back.

This is very positive.

Have you started looking for another property yet?

Maybe just start researching councils which don’t have restrictions and look for properties in those areas?

You say you have managed a multi-dog household for 20 years, so there is your precedence which confirms your abilities. No reason why it can’t continue :) :) :thumbsup:

If your neighbour's small dog's barking is irritating you, perhaps the problem is yours. I don't mean this negatively because I have found neighbour noises (drills, saws, planes) upsetting in the past and I have complained to the council about them. After a course of antidepressants I have realised how the problem was largely mine and how difficult and unreasonable I was.

well of course it's my problem that the dog barks night and day at anything and everything. How silly of me to think that it is unreasonable. Must go to my GP and get drugged!

This is very positive.

Have you started looking for another property yet?

Maybe just start researching councils which don’t have restrictions and look for properties in those areas?

You say you have managed a multi-dog household for 20 years, so there is your precedence which confirms your abilities. No reason why it can’t continue :) :) :thumbsup:

We have had a multi dog permit for 10-13 years, before that registration wasn't compulsory so we never had a permit.

I have found a much larger property under the same council but in a different area, I am going to arrange an inspection ASAP.

Spoke with the council and we will need to reapply for the permit but because we've never had a complaint, the dogs spend most of their time inside and we've had a permit for so long we hopefully should be ok.

Just hope the house is ok since it's quite old.