Female Gsp Or Vizsla

WOWO1973

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. A girl I work with has two (2 & 3y/o?) and she brings them to work when her partner isn't home as they go on a rampage.

They ate through a dry wall to outside once just for kicks. And that was when they were home, but didn't get up early enough to entertain them.

They're active people, the dogs are lovely but they're not placid!

I have limited experience with both breeds, but from what I see, like others say, the Vizsla tends to be a little less intense.

I really like both breeds by the way, although they are not for me :)

With both training the dog to settle will be a priority.

I'd also encourage you to commit to going to a nice training club for the first two years of the dog's life. I generally think that most problems that might occur will tend to surface in the first two years and by going to a training club you will have very experienced people to guide you along the way, often preventing problems before they even begin.

good luck :)

They are both lovely, active, bouncy, bubbly breeds, I certainly would not call them placid! :)

I like both breeds, they are relatively common in agility over here in the 600 (large dog) class and do quite well.

There are people who know these breeds far better than I do but "placid" is not a word I'd apply to a youngster of either breed.

Unless you own your apartment, I'd be giving serious thought to how much damage an only young dog of either breed will do to a smallish yard during the day. My guess would be "a lot".

Judging dogs by mature versions that have company can be fraught with danger. You have to get to mature!

yes.

I wouldn't have a vizsla in an apartment! I only know of one (mine) who would cope, because all he wants to do is sleep (his breeder jokes he is 'special ' and we broke the mold with him as hes so lazy unless he can steal food), but the first 3 years were very challenging until he matured (many many tears!). We still have craters in the backyard from his digging when he was alone too long. My mum's bitch is nearly 3 (we adopted her a year ago), has half an acre to run around on, two playmates and she is completely nuts even with someone now home 24/7 she is constantly on the go, and very needy and velcro, almost like she's making up for lost time. She is slowly improving, but was definitely not suited for a home where the owners were absent a lot, even with daily walks, it just wasn't enough for her so they rehomed her to us. Vizslas need their people (mine would come to work if they could!!). I absolutely adore the breed,they are my heart breed but I will not get another until I have the time to devote to a pup properly as they are very hard work as youngsters.

Fabulous dogs? Yes

Placid ? No way!

Suitable for apartments? Not in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the replies..

After extensive research and chatting with several breeders, i'm still pursuing either a Vizsla or a GSP.

Prepared to take all the risks that many have warned me of.

Cheers

Please be absolutely honest with the breeders you pursue. Not every dog or line be a fit for your situation and be prepared for some rejection too, but please don't feel like little white lies will get you what you want. Might work in the short time but these people know their dogs, take their word for it and ask why, treat it as a learning curve if you come up against brick walls

Please be absolutely honest with the breeders you pursue. Not every dog or line be a fit for your situation and be prepared for some rejection too, but please don't feel like little white lies will get you what you want. Might work in the short time but these people know their dogs, take their word for it and ask why, treat it as a learning curve if you come up against brick walls

Exactly. All the vizsla breeders I know are very cautious about the homes their dogs to and they match them very carefully. Honesty is key.

I think it can work provided you are willing to think outside the square a little and invest time and money- especially from puppy- adulthood.

Are you willing to consider things like a dog walker during the day a few times a week or dog daycare etc?

Edited by Cosmolo

I'm sure you could make it work but are your yards fenced? Where would the dog be during the day if you aren't home? If inside I'd be worried about mischief, I have a giant breed dog and as a puppy he was exercised and trained a lot but still pretty much trashed our 3 bedroom house!

Fenced and gated yard.

One breeder suggested a puppy pen that we would have inside to avoid the cold elements with winter about to set in.

Still tossing up between the GSP and Vizsla!!

How long each day would pup be indoors in the pen?

How many dogs of each breed have you met? What age were they?

Are there any body corporate restrictions (regardless of whether you own or rent)?

I had a GSP pup for a month - training her for a friend who was overseas - she was lovely and talented but nothing would have convinced me to keep her (my friend was looking for a breeders terms home for her). I have a Dalmatian and 2 working Springers but this girl was hard work... constantly cried when left alone and incredibly persistent and "in your face" with my resident dogs and cats until my bitch refused to go outside with her and one of my cats held her on the ground by her ear for several minutes.....the cat won that round but pup did not relent. Pup is grown up now and living with an older gentleman on a large rural property - only dog, lots of Gundog training and exercise plus close to 24 hour companionship indoors and she is loving it.

At the end of the day, if you try hard enough you will get a puppy of the breed you want. I could have sold my litter of Springers several times over but talked a number of potential homes out of them. Some of those people allowed themselves to be educated and realised a Gundog was too much for their current situation. Others refused to listen and bought a pup from the first person who would sell them one. There's plenty of people out there who will sell anything to anyone.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

1458946094[/url]' post='6799030']

Fenced and gated yard.

One breeder suggested a puppy pen that we would have inside to avoid the cold elements with winter about to set in.

Still tossing up between the GSP and Vizsla!!

All the vizslas I know are smaller than gsps, and a little less intense. Though I do only know one male vizsla and I believe he is small for the breed. I also love their russet colouring. So if I were you I'd sway that way I think :)

I used to dogsit a vizsla frequently, did so for years, every weekend she would come to my house, quite a lot of work, even when I met her as as a 5 year old! But a lovely dog. I would love one someday to do retrieving and agility with.

But yes, just be honest with the breeders so they can match you with a dog :)

ETA: the vizslas are getting more and more popular, so just be wary of the less ethical breeders

This is Amber and baby koda sneaking in for a nap with her. She was the greatest dog

5944392447_5a34e9fbd6_z.jpg

Edited by denali

You will need a very sturdy puppy pen & a tall one or one with a lid & to be honest keeping any active gundog puppy in one all day will not be successful i am surprised a breeder would say yeah that will work ,pens are great & we use them BUT not all day & you cant use it for ever your pup will out grow it very quickly & you need to then decide on what that next plan is & as the cat is indoors only i gather the pup will have to be outside from then on so you need to set the pup up from day one to fit into its living arrangements

As a gundog owner who works from home mine would never cope being confined that long ,yes there puppies but don't under estimate an active breed puppy there not for the faint hearted & there very good thinkers

Hello everyone,

After lengthy discussions and research on both breeds, my fiance and i have decided on a GSP.

We have been in communication with a breeder in country Victoria, Australia and have decided that this breed will be best for us.

We will visit the breeder prior to birth and once the pups are born to gather more info/advise and to which pup will better serve our needs.

We are after a solid liver female and after extensive patience and research, we have located our future puppy.

Originally from New Zealand, the bitch will be coming in within the next few months and will be potentially be mating(potentially) with a handsome chap(solid liver) from another state.

Looking at homing our little girl towards the latter half of the year.

We are both excited and here comes the fun stuff of researching accessories..collars,leads, food, beds etc. (feel free to add advise on any of these)

Thanks to everyone again for all your advise/input.

PS. Promise to keep all updated on the progress!

Cheers

WOWO

Congratulations! I have a male GSP puppy who is nearly one & he is the apple of my eye although a little terror sometimes(as all puppies are!) The waiting is the hardest part but don't wish the time away too quickly, they grow up so fast. Enjoy!

Congratulations! I have a male GSP puppy who is nearly one & he is the apple of my eye although a little terror sometimes(as all puppies are!) The waiting is the hardest part but don't wish the time away too quickly, they grow up so fast. Enjoy!

At one year of age, he's well old enough to sire pups. He's not a puppy any more!

Treat him as the young adult he is.

At one year of age, he's well old enough to sire pups. He's not a puppy any more!

Haredown Whippets - Don't you worry, he most certainly does get the respect he deserves & is treated accordingly to his age.

Haredown Whippets - Don't you worry, he most certainly does get the respect he deserves & is treated accordingly to his age.

Glad to hear it and best of luck with him. I'd make no assumptions about him being good with other dogs. Is he desexed?