Crow Snatches Puppy From Kilsyth Backyard, Owner Collapses With Shock

Two Best Dogs!

Picture this for some giggles...

Friend's staffy cross decides to chase a cockatoo down the road... cocky's calls bring a number of it's friends to back it up... and they all chase the dog back up the street... poor dog is terrified of cockatoos now... lol!

T.

Smart dog !

Picture this ;)

chaff gets poured into Bruce's trough this morning ..and he dives in and starts munching . Lifts up his head to chew , whereupon a group of apostlebirds land in the trough and begin searching out stray grains amongst the chaff . Each time Bruce tries to grab a mouthful, he is met by wings & claws!!

Poor Bruce .He turned away ...

i did have some seed for the birds , so they were then happy to leave the sheep food for the sheep!

They have no hesitation in swooping down and having sharp claws connect with my scalp if I have no food visible !!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my Chi attacked in the back yard by Currawong's. There is large group of them that live behind us in the trees and they come and steal the pups chicken wings and food any chance they get. My dog was lucky I was home to rescue him. They probably couldn't have carried him away but could have killed him (2kg's of dog)

I really think it was sizing Secret up, perhaps it had already decided she was too big, but it was certainly looking intently at her. There are no food scraps here, the whippets eat everything vaguely food like.

Picture this for some giggles...

Friend's staffy cross decides to chase a cockatoo down the road... cocky's calls bring a number of it's friends to back it up... and they all chase the dog back up the street... poor dog is terrified of cockatoos now... lol!

T.

:laugh:

I've had my Chi attacked in the back yard by Currawong's. There is large group of them that live behind us in the trees and they come and steal the pups chicken wings and food any chance they get. My dog was lucky I was home to rescue him. They probably couldn't have carried him away but could have killed him (2kg's of dog)

:( :(

They look so powerful to me. And the ravens with their knife beaks look even bigger and stronger.

They may not be evolutionarily adapted to hunting but crows and Ravens are smart and could do some serious damage if they want to.

Even my old chickens were a vicious bunch. The rooster would make a lot of show about taking us but the hens would flock and attack my rabbits. Some nasty injuries before I put a stop to that. I'll never forget the mouse I chased out of the feed shed. It ran into the pen and the hens caught and tore it apart. It screamed a lot :(

So I can see a couple of the smarter birds taking on bigger things. They're smart, can communicate, learn and pass down little "cultural" techniques. May not be seen often but it's not unheard of for them to attack (as evidenced around the thread)

So I'd be careful with small guys if they were around. Fortunately the hawk keeps them away from my yard...:/

There are 3 Sulphur Crested Cockatoos at one of my work placements who know I'm scared of curved beaked birds... and the buggers will hang on the door waiting for me to try to come into the aviary... I refuse to go in there now, as the horrid things attack me 'cos they know I'm scared... grrr! Doesn't do anything to allay my fears let me tell you!

I'll be happy to go in there to catch them for euthing if ever asked... they are NASTY!!

I'm not scared of the shoe-eating Galah in another aviary... she confines her attacks to the steel cap portion of my boots, so all I do is try not to step on her as I go about cleaning and feeding... lol!

An Alexandrine Parakeet named Cookie wants to sit on my shoulder and blow kisses in my ear, but I'm leery of his beak getting that close, so I let him stay for a short while, then tell him to get on a perch.

T.

They may not be evolutionarily adapted to hunting but crows and Ravens are smart and could do some serious damage if they want to.

Even my old chickens were a vicious bunch. The rooster would make a lot of show about taking us but the hens would flock and attack my rabbits. Some nasty injuries before I put a stop to that. I'll never forget the mouse I chased out of the feed shed. It ran into the pen and the hens caught and tore it apart. It screamed a lot :(

So I can see a couple of the smarter birds taking on bigger things. They're smart, can communicate, learn and pass down little "cultural" techniques. May not be seen often but it's not unheard of for them to attack (as evidenced around the thread)

So I'd be careful with small guys if they were around. Fortunately the hawk keeps them away from my yard...:/

Chooks are seen by some folks as fluffy friendly egglayers ..not the omnivorous hunters and strict social critters they are :) Chooks are excellent mousers!! They also love grasshoppers ,snails & suchlike .

Chooks can indeed inflict injury ...Glad you stopped running your rabbit with them !

the hawk would be my concern if you have chooks ;)

Haha I currently do not have any chooks, this was a few years back and I just ran a fence down the yard since the bunnies free ranged. This place has a healthy feral cat population and a couple of foxes :(

Rabbits only get supervised play and no chooks until I have a VERY solid enclosure, roof and all. I'm going to learn how to weld :p

Edited by Thistle the dog

Haha I currently do not have any chooks, this was a few years back and I just ran a fence down the yard since the bunnies free ranged. This place has a healthy feral cat population and a couple of foxes :(

Rabbits only get supervised play and no chooks until I have a VERY solid enclosure, roof and all. I'm going to learn how to weld :p

... a few shopping trollies and a grinder would do for a start :D ...

Crows are a real problem around here .They take the tongues and the eyes out of the ewes as they are lambing and they are ruthless with the lambs.The Maremma take them out and these days no crows fly over the paddocks the dogs are in.

The Maremma share their food with magpies and supervise the native parrots and rosellas etc as they drink from puddles but one sign of a crow its game on.

When old Rufus was about 8 months old One of the kids came in and told us we had better come look as there were a heap of dead crows in the paddock with the sheep and Rufus. Pretty hard to kill a crow.

We watched a while and the dog was moving out just a bit and you wouldn't have been able to pick the difference between the dog and the sheep - he had his head down as if he were eating grass. As the crows came close he quickly took care of them. He killed 8 before they got the message.

We have watched as the dogs have plucked them out of the sky like an AFL player. These days the only time we even know they are around is when the ewes are lambing, you hear them in the distance so know to go out as new lambs are here but they never come close as long as there is a Maremma around.

About 15 years ago the family was sitting on the front porch watching a litter of Maremma puppies play - they were about 6 weeks old. Next thing an eagle swooped down and plucked up one of the pups .Kids screaming running mad trying to follow where the eagle was going. It got pretty high up dropped the pup and broke its back. We also had a snowy owl that was intent on seeing the puppies as dinner and ripped the bitches face to pieces and wouldn't give up - we had to kill it to save the puppies.

If a pup is small enough Ive no doubt a crow would have a go at taking it off and would certainly see its eyes and tongue as a delicacy.

Weldmesh from bunnings with c clips eltc from bunnings for joining mesh. Works well