Crow Snatches Puppy From Kilsyth Backyard, Owner Collapses With Shock

Two Best Dogs!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the other articles (with a video interview) says this:

Crows had been flocking around the yard before one bird grabbed the puppy by the neck.

Fudge was small enough to sit in the palm of someone's hand.

“She heard Fudge screaming about three times and she just panicked.”

They can't get much more out of the poor woman at this point, she keeps breaking down even on the video :(

Poor poor lady.

Edited by Thistle the dog

The thing is, it's an urban area and the crow wouldn't have flown far carrying such a heavy puppy. So if the crow had dropped the puppy I am sure it would have been found by now...

such a tiny pup - if/when dropped, could have died - and if it was on a roof or in a tree , or even on a road - no one would notice ...

Hoping that little pup has survived and is just waiting to be found.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/9243221/Photographer-captures-moment-raven-snatches-bunny-from-field.html

what's the weight of a 16 week old Chihuahua?... raven can lift quite some weight, but I guess it has to be dead / not wiggling anymore, and while for sure they can kill rabbits or little dogs or kittens, conversely to an eagle I assume it would take some time pecking the prey to death. The poor owner saw the crows / ravens flying away, but it is not clear whether she saw them really lifting her dog?...if they killed the poor dog on the ground there would have been blood stains on the lawn?...the crows / ravens could have been scared away also by a goanna that indeed could have easily swallowed a little dog without leaving a trace... :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/9243221/Photographer-captures-moment-raven-snatches-bunny-from-field.html

what's the weight of a 16 week old Chihuahua?... raven can lift quite some weight, but I guess it has to be dead / not wiggling anymore, and while for sure they can kill rabbits or little dogs or kittens, conversely to an eagle I assume it would take some time pecking the prey to death. The poor owner saw the crows / ravens flying away, but it is not clear whether she saw them really lifting her dog?...if they killed the poor dog on the ground there would have been blood stains on the lawn?...the crows / ravens could have been scared away also by a goanna that indeed could have easily swallowed a little dog without leaving a trace... :(

If it was swallowed by a goanna dont you think she would have seen the goanna on her lawn?

Edited by Kirislin

I don't know...it just sounds weird that the crow / raven dived in, took the dog and flew away - an eagle would do it like this as he would be able to carry the dog in his talons (and kill it with his talons), but when you watch crows / raven chasing rats or rabbits it is more an attrition war with lots of pecking and retrieving that goes on and on...

Eta:

...the crow has serious issues to lift the rat from the ground... they don't have the biting power in their beak to clamp and hold a wiggling prey so the prey has to be dead before they can lift it. Edited by Willem

...at the end I guess it doesn't matter what took the dog - it would take more than one miracle to get it back alive and the way it happened has a devastating impact on the spirit of the already struggling poor owner...life seems to be not fair sometimes...

No goannas around here. It could have been a hawk/eagle. As I said, I have seen a raven take a baby possum but it was a big struggle for the bird. I just can't understand how it could carry off a wriggling, screaming puppy. All very odd.

Very kind of the anonymous breeder. I expect the lady will be a helicopter-owner from now on, but hopefully a new little friend will help. Sparky is a sweet name.

Also says it's been clarified the theft was by a raven.

The bird that snatched Fudge was actually a raven, although they are commonly referred to as crows in Victoria.

(Is that true? Can't say I've noticed if it is but I'm an interstate immigrant ;) )

Edited by Thistle the dog

Very kind of the anonymous breeder. I expect the lady will be a helicopter-owner from now on, but hopefully a new little friend will help. Sparky is a sweet name.

Also says it's been clarified the theft was by a raven.

The bird that snatched Fudge was actually a raven, although they are commonly referred to as crows in Victoria.

(Is that true? Can't say I've noticed if it is but I'm an interstate immigrant ;) )

Don't think it is thing. Just most people wouldn't know the difference.

As a Pommy I am a bit fascinated by the different birds and tend to look them up in a book or internet so I know what they are.

Not many goannas in Kilsyth.

Not far away though: if you do a bushwalk on the hill behind Browns Road (still in Montrose) there are plenty in the forest. They certainly came down into gardens around us. But as Kirty said, "no goannas around here", and yes it would be unusual.

I think the Little Ravens are perfectly capable of taking a small puppy or kitten if they wish. The point is that they don't usually wish, because birds are super aware of their own limitations and the damage they can suffer if thing go pear-shaped. It's like a really hungry thirsty bird in drought areas will not risk a long flight to where it believes food and water might be, balanced against its likelihood of not surviving the journey. They are more intelligent and decision-making within their own needs than given credit for.

It was beautiful to see on the news tonight about a breeder having offered a puppy. I hope that it works out well and Sparky helps heal the shock and heartache.

Not many goannas in Kilsyth.

Not far away though: if you do a bushwalk on the hill behind Browns Road (still in Montrose) there are plenty in the forest. They certainly came down into gardens around us. But as Kirty said, "no goannas around here", and yes it would be unusual.

Yes I've met Goannas (very large ones) in the hills whilst riding my horse. It is a totally different area to the area of Kilsyth were the puppy was taken.