Cavalier Yelping

Hi there

Over the past few days my cavalier (6 years old) has started yelling in pain from a resting position and sort of reaching for his back legs. It lasts about 30 Sec and has happened only three or four times. After this he is as usual. He is eating fine, going on walks, allows me to touch him all over. The only other thing I have noticed is him very occasionally stopping on a walk to chew at his back legs for a bit. I am booked in to the vet tomorrow but I have a feeling he may not find anything obvious and I wondered if anyone had similar symptoms in their cavalier but maybe not. I just thought any ideas may help tomorrow. Thank you in advance.

Good luck at the vets ..it could be several things , so vet opinion is a good plan!

Tonight , or first thing tomorrow- see if you can get a video of your poor little dog doing what you describe :) That will be a big help at the vet .

Thank you for the replies. The idea of getting it on video is a good idea and I will ask the vet to check his anal glands. It's a bit odd. Don't want him to be in any pain.

Hi there

Over the past few days my cavalier (6 years old) has started yelling in pain from a resting position and sort of reaching for his back legs. It lasts about 30 Sec and has happened only three or four times. After this he is as usual. He is eating fine, going on walks, allows me to touch him all over. The only other thing I have noticed is him very occasionally stopping on a walk to chew at his back legs for a bit. I am booked in to the vet tomorrow but I have a feeling he may not find anything obvious and I wondered if anyone had similar symptoms in their cavalier but maybe not. I just thought any ideas may help tomorrow. Thank you in advance.

Wondering how the vet visit went ?

Thank you again. I went to the vet and he examined him all over and couldn't find anything wrong at all. He said I had a very healthy dog. I did some done research online before I went and I though of SM and I actually mentioned to the vet. He said it was very rare and he would have neck pain. I am not sure that it is very rare according to the research I did but he has not yelped again so I will wait and if he doesn't again I will return to the vet. Thank you for your help.

Thank you again. I went to the vet and he examined him all over and couldn't find anything wrong at all. He said I had a very healthy dog. I did some done research online before I went and I though of SM and I actually mentioned to the vet. He said it was very rare and he would have neck pain. I am not sure that it is very rare according to the research I did but he has not yelped again so I will wait and if he doesn't again I will return to the vet. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately it is not as rare as vets think. Its is also not as prolific as overseas- but it definitely occurs.

I know of a few personally who have had it.

The only way of knowing is with an MRI- but i would be seeing a chiropractic vet first to see if they can find something.

• 4 months later...

Hello again

Thank you so much for your responded. In the last few weeks we have had more episodes of yelping and last Sat after three helping episodes he collapsed and couldn't get up. He was awake but his backs legs were shaking for about 30min. Then he got up and was slow for a bit but ok again. He was booked into the vet but we rushed him in and they took blood and urine samples. Both have come back fine. The vet thinks it could be seizures but isn't sure as he is a bit old for idiopathetic epilepsy as onset is usually in younger dogs. He is six. We now have the choice between seeing a neurologist and doing an MRI (very expensive) or trailing epilepsy medication and seeing what happens. I really don't know what to do. I would really appreciate any advice, which way would you go? Thank you very much. This forum is extremely helpful. Oh I should add he had an extensive physical exam and I suggested a chiropractor but the vet I saw was very experienced and the other vet at the practice who I also saw said that he would have picked up any pain as he extremely good at doing so and has picked up pain in dogs that she has missed. Still a possibility though, haven't ruled it out.