Tummy Bug Remedies?

This time last year my dog got a stomach bug after a surgery. He ended up on antibiotics for a while which helped.

Symptoms the past few days are pointing to him having another bug. Lethargy and sleeping lots, he's pooped in our bed, and done sloppy and disgustingly smelly ones in the house despite having outside access which is the same as last year. Hes also been eating lots of grass then vomiting. He's still eating fine and his energy levels were back to normal today but his guts definitely aren't.

We've moved rurally now so the earliest vet appointment i can get to fit around work will be Thursday and given his energy is normal and he's eating fine it doesn't seem an emergency.

Are there any home remedies I can try in the meantime?

If they're bright and happy I normally skip a meal - so nothing for 24 hours - and then start them on steamed chicken breast (not thigh) and a little mashed pumpkin. If it's mild and/or they are young or old or thin so can't miss a meal I just feed the chicken and pumpkin. No improvement or not drinking or vomiting as well or pale gums or miserable or in pain etc etc and straight to the vet.

I feed my dog a small meal of plain steamed chicken breast and boiled rice when he has a sick tummy. I don't skip a meal, as skipping meals seems to make him feel worse and he trembles. If anything it seems better to get something plain into him.

Happy to defer to the DOL trust bank about fasting but just giving my experience with my boy. :)

...I forgot to mention: if you let him fast, make sure he still has access to water!

wrt fasting: fasting allows the stomach acid to become very concentrated and deadly for viruses and bugs. Plus it saves energy: if the digestion system doesn't work properly the energy the dog gets out of any food you gave him is limited, however, it still needs to be processed which consumes quite some energy. Therefore fasting (1 day doesn't hurt an adult dog as long as he isn't heavily underweight) is an excellent remedy to allow him to take care for himself and boost his immune system.

If 1 day fasting doesn't cure it, that means it is something serious...means vet.

Edited by Willem

I usually fast the dog then give a light meal of boiled rice adding the strained liquid of a chicken frame that has been chopped up and simmered for 4--5 hours.

I usually add some powdered charcoal (1/4tsp) to this bowl of slop and sometimes slippery elm

seems to work

Gawd! There'd be westie revolution here if I fasted my guys!! As well as apple cider vinegar, I use steamed chicken and rice to settle upset tummies - but doesn't seem to happen here very with my cast iron stomach westies.

I find ACV pretty good for a range of stuff - it seems to have an anti-bacterial effect and fixes Sarah's dicky tummy upsets. (And her stained paws but thats another story)

I use a teaspoon for my westies in a bit of water mixed in with their food - big dogs need a dessertspoon.

Some people use it in drinking water but I find my guys won't it touch it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An FYI.

An algae die-off like you can get in winter when the sun isn't enough to keep it growing can cause a bad tummy if they drink it. Not just ponds but funny little places like the dishes under pot plants. Boggy spots, that kind of thing.

Usually a bit of algae in water dishes isn't there long enough to die off.

I forgot to add. Farex is good if they won't eat regular rice.

Edited by Powerlegs

An FYI.

An algae die-off like you can get in winter when the sun isn't enough to keep it growing can cause a bad tummy if they drink it. Not just ponds but funny little places like the dishes under pot plants. Boggy spots, that kind of thing.

Interesting. Strong possibility due to the location of the pond. Another pooch is under the weather today too so we'll be looking at removing the pond and putting the fish in a tank. Its a free standing pond and a pain to clean easily anyway.

An FYI.

Interesting. Strong possibility due to the location of the pond. Another pooch is under the weather today too so we'll be looking at removing the pond and putting the fish in a tank. Its a free standing pond and a pain to clean easily anyway.

Yes it's a funny, hidden kind of thing. Not something that leaps to mind but I do a cleanout before the cold sets in. The tadpoles and pond plants keep growth under control during warm months.

There was a massive die-off of blue green algae in the park wetland a few years ago and it was bad enough to hospitalise dogs! eek1.gif