Fleming

MadWoofter

Oh Fleming, where do I start.

Fleming was abandoned in country Victoria, and thanks to a DOL breeder his transport to a DOL rescuer in Sydney was organised. From there he came to me as a foster carer.

He was malnourished, had skin problems, a very dodgy back leg, and flinched at sudden movements and noises. He gained weight, his skin improved, and after numerous discussions with the rescue group, it was decided that we would amputate the rear leg (we think he got hit by a car and was never treated).

From that point, he blossomed. He was obviously no longer in pain, and loved nothing more than chasing a ball. I remember taking him to a large off-leash park where a number of people commented on this three-legged dog who was quicker than most of the others around.

After 12 months, and not a single scrap of interest, the rescue group decided to close, and it was a very easy decision for me to say that Fleming was staying. Finally, I felt I could actually love this boy, and oh did he blossom even further.

A hungry, nervous boy, he loved people and other dogs, but now my family & friends realised what an absolute sweet-heart of a dog this was. The most gentle dog I've known, he just rolled with life. There were things he'd never recover from - after ten years with me I still couldn't pick up a broom without him racing from the house in fear, but his innate beautiful nature just shone through.

While Tess was around he was nearly always in the background and he was overshadowed. With Tess gone, he had strangers come up and compliment him, he had kids in the area come and give him cuddles, and he thrived even more with being an only dog with me.

Two days ago, Fleming was given his wings. A brain tumour or bleed took away his personality, and his recognition of me and his beloved grandma (my mum). His deterioration was quick, and his passing was distressing, but I still feel privileged that I could take his pain and suffering away.

Tess was my heart dog, but Fleming took a large part of my heart unexpectedly. If I was up & doing stuff around the house he was in his favourite spot underneath the shrub looking out at the world. When I stopped and sat down, he was straight in and lying at my feet. He never left my side, and my days are already darker because he's not here.

Farewell my beautiful sweet boy. You were loved by many, and you will be missed.

Aww, what a lovely tribute.

Sounds like Fleming lived a good life with you, clearly he flourished with you and had become a happy, healthy loved boy after such a horrible start.

So very sorry for your loss, I wish their lives were not as short as they are. RIP Fleming.

They do take a large chunk of our hearts. It seems your time with Fleming was meant to be and what a lucky dog he was to have found love and care with you.

In time the dark days get a bit brighter - may your wonderful memories of him bring you joy.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this verse on a card in the newsagent the other day, Mad Woofter, and immediately thought of you and dear Fleming!

'Such lovely eyes on the face of the sky,

Watching with love as our lives go by.

Blinking and winking in a code of their own,

A message from our dearest - that we're not alone.'

Kate Knapp

I saw this verse on a card in the newsagent the other day, Mad Woofter, and immediately thought of you and dear Fleming!

'Such lovely eyes on the face of the sky,

Watching with love as our lives go by.

Blinking and winking in a code of their own,

A message from our dearest - that we're not alone.'

Kate Knapp

That is lovely :cry: