Marking territory inside, suggestions???

We have four dogs,

three boys, one girl, all desexed, aged from 3-8.

We have not long moved into a new house, have spent almost $10,000 on new carpets and curtains, two of the boys have started marking on different objects (something they have done in the past) we already need to have our room and the loungeroom steam cleaned (carpets have been down less than 8 weeks) and I am no longer in a position to afford replacing everything constantly.

The things they are peeing on are completely random, a chair in the corner, my daughters teddy bear, a large canvas, washing basket, their own bed etc.

I no longer work so there is almost always someone here yet I rarely catch them, we have baby gates on the bedrooms so they aren't in there without us.

I take them out multiple times a day for a toilet break even though the door is open 24/7, they all pee in command.

I can't constantly keep the loungeroom closed off as it restricts and separates my toddler too much, cant lock them out as there's no

shelter here and it's much colder/wetter.

Does anyone else have any ideas I may not have thought of, we have used crate training with all but Rascal (he's not the problem) but it hasn't helped.

I am getting very close to rehoming the two, I have gone without so much for our dogs over the last 20 years, including putting us into financial debt for surgeries, replacing wrecked stuff, never going on a holiday, etc but this is just too much, especially since it drastically impacts the whole family.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I sure you already have, but clean everything with the stuff you buy to remove the urine sent to the dogs. I would be setting up an area for them using playpen panels etc like you would do for a pup. This is not a long term solution but it may save your sanity until you can have the behaviour addressed by a trainer. 

I agree with setting up an area with playpen panels. I do that myself. I often dogsit for friends and I have noticed a few of the boys will want to pee inside. Usually against my dining chair legs. I figure they must be able to smell the others that have been inside. So now i make an area for them and all is good. And if I do catch them they get roused at and sent outside for a while. 

I too realise this would only be a short term fix for you but yes saving your sanity comes first and training afterwards. Good luck

Unfortunately I can't use play pens for two reasons, one I don't have anywhere in the house to fit them and two forcing the dogs to be confined with my daughter crawling around and able to put her hands/fingers through the bars would be a recipe for disaster, they are ok because they can freely move away from her but there's a high chance of her being bitten if they felt restricted.

Belly bands could be a good option, can the dogs get them off or do they stay on very well?

I think most belly bands do up firmly with Velcro but you could add a nappy pin. 

Ive heard mostly success stories with them. Many people say they don't have to use them forever either. 

Theyre not terribly expense I'd give them a go.

What colour poodle is peeing everywhere , before i got  PANDI  her breeder, who only breeds black & dark brown dogs told me that red or apricot lines were Hyper & harder to train , she said blacks were sweeter & calmer.

PANDI  is very sweet & mostly calm :laugh:

One of our Cavaliers was rehomed to us a few years ago and he has this problem. He is a wonderful dog in every way except for him marking inside. We suspect it was because he used to sleep in a shed at night :(  Its really annoying.  Luckily we have tiles throughout our house so we can clean it up easily, thank god ! We can put him outside and he will wee outside but he still has it saved up for inside.  (its not more than once at a time and not every day) We have used all sorts of cleaning products to see if he will avoid peeing in certain areas but that hasn't worked either.
Some days/nights are worse than others. We don't feel its stress related, more territorial.
I have never had this kind of problem with any of my previous or current dogs! It does get on things sometimes so we have to be aware not to leave anything laying around.
Over the time we have had him we have tried so many different things to stop him but so far no success.. Hes been checked out by vet so its nothing medically.
Otherwise he's a perfect dog in every way. Has the best temperament.  He's desexed. I think hes aware he shouldn't be doing it, you can tell he looks upset if you are firm with him when its happened but he still keeps doing it :(

• Like 1

On 31/03/2017 at 1:25 PM, Rascalmyshadow said:

Unfortunately I can't use play pens for two reasons, one I don't have anywhere in the house to fit them and two forcing the dogs to be confined with my daughter crawling around and able to put her hands/fingers through the bars would be a recipe for disaster, they are ok because they can freely move away from her but there's a high chance of her being bitten if they felt restricted.

Would you have room for one of those soft pens (and would they stay in it?). Fingers can't poke through the mesh and you can lock the zippers. 

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

What colour poodle is peeing everywhere , before i got  PANDI  her breeder, who only breeds black & dark brown dogs told me that red or apricot lines were Hyper & harder to train , she said blacks were sweeter & calmer.

PANDI  is very sweet & mostly calm :laugh:

Our boy Hugo is a black but from red lines, he is quite a nervy boy but bossy, wasn't  as bad as a puppy but got worse as he matured. 

Ive owned or fostered every colour poodle (except brown) and red was definitely the worst for nerves and problem behaviour.

47 minutes ago, julesluvscavs said:

One of our Cavaliers was rehomed to us a few years ago and he has this problem. He is a wonderful dog in every way except for him marking inside. We suspect it was because he used to sleep in a shed at night :(  Its really annoying.  Luckily we have tiles throughout our house so we can clean it up easily, thank god ! We can put him outside and he will wee outside but he still has it saved up for inside.  (its not more than once at a time and not every day) We have used all sorts of cleaning products to see if he will avoid peeing in certain areas but that hasn't worked either.
Some days/nights are worse than others. We don't feel its stress related, more territorial.
I have never had this kind of problem with any of my previous or current dogs! It does get on things sometimes so we have to be aware not to leave anything laying around.
Over the time we have had him we have tried so many different things to stop him but so far no success.. Hes been checked out by vet so its nothing medically.
Otherwise he's a perfect dog in every way. Has the best temperament.  He's desexed. I think hes aware he shouldn't be doing it, you can tell he looks upset if you are firm with him when its happened but he still keeps doing it :(

This is definitely a territorial issue, Rascal is oldest and boss dog so everyone respects him and there's no competition, Claudia is a female and tiny so again no competition but Astro and Hugo although are friends they are much more competitive with one another, I think this is the cause of the behaviour, even outside on a walk those two mark everything.

I would think the only way to stop the behaviour is put them in a position where they can't perform it?

Limiting their access when inside with baby gates, alternating crate time or putting them on lead and attached to a person when they're out of their crate so they can't 'sneak off'.

Hopefully once they've settled in and been taken back outside for regular toileting and praise they'll have broken the habit?

You might need to up their exercise or enrichment activities over this time but its a much cheaper option especially if it saves them from being rehomed.  It may very well be they behave the same in someone else's home and that's not going to end well for them.  Good luck!

This weeing on every thing  behaviour  is why i have a girl pup 

I've heard so many times  of males doing this in the house, Yet  a lot of breeders will say boys are easier to house train & they prefer boys over girls.

The breeder said to me if the boy gets desexed before 6 months,  then he will not mark on things , i said no thanks,  :laugh:                      i would like the little girl and i am very happy giving her tummy rubs :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roova said:

I would think the only way to stop the behaviour is put them in a position where they can't perform it?

Limiting their access when inside with baby gates, alternating crate time or putting them on lead and attached to a person when they're out of their crate so they can't 'sneak off'.

Hopefully once they've settled in and been taken back outside for regular toileting and praise they'll have broken the habit?

You might need to up their exercise or enrichment activities over this time but its a much cheaper option especially if it saves them from being rehomed.  It may very well be they behave the same in someone else's home and that's not going to end well for them.  Good luck!

Unfortunately I have already done most of what you suggested before we moved and it didn't work, i

was hoping it would settle in a new house since it's all neutral territory.

Their routine has barely changed since moving and I still take them out for a toilet break multiple times a day even though the door is always open.

I can't attach them to me as I have a toddler on the go that isn't walking yet.

We have baby gates on the bedrooms but I can't block off the loungeroom it restricts my daughter too much.

Im not jumping into rehoming but I doubt they would continue to do it if they were living with only one other female dog.

Hardest part is they might not do it for a couple of weeks then just randomly something will get peed on and you never know what's it's going to be.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

12 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

This weeing on every thing  behaviour  is why i have a girl pup 

I've heard so many times  of males doing this in the house, Yet  a lot of breeders will say boys are easier to house train & they prefer boys over girls.

The breeder said to me if the boy gets desexed before 6 months,  then he will not mark on things , i said no thanks,  :laugh:                      i would like the little girl and i am very happy giving her tummy rubs :)

I have had a multi dog house for 20 years and admittedly this is the first time we've had a marking issue, except for the occasional foster that wasn't house trained.

Amazingly my Chi girl was an ex show dog that lived in kennels, was shocking for going inside at first is now perfect. 

Think this will be the last time in my life we have more than two dogs.

Just wanted to say this sounds like a really tough situation to be living with.  I really feel for you especially having a toddler, you must feel like you're forever wiping up something!

I am totally exhausted, before I had my daughter I was working and managing the dogs ok, at least I had plenty of energy to manage them.

Since having her i have had multiple health issues including surgeries, what once seemed reasonably easy is now totally draining.

Between the two boys peeing,Hugo's vomiting, my daughter getting into everything and still having to pick up after the older two kids it feels like constant ground hog day.

Just wish I knew what prompts them to suddenly do it.

Re your comment "Just wish I knew what prompts them to suddenly do it".  Do you feel it could come from them being anxious or stressed or reacting to you being anxious or stressed?  I was reading its a reasonably common reason for changes in behaviour but unfortunately the three main suggestions while trying to resolve it have already been given, limit access, tether the dog when inside or have them in an ex pen.

I also found this comment: Dr. Karen Overall advises clients to ask the following question, “Is the dog doing this because he/she wants to do it, or is the dog doing this because he/she must do it? Dogs who want to mark but are not compelled to do so are usually normal, but dogs who feel they must mark in a certain spot are likely anxious and would benefit from treatment” [of the anxiety].