White German Shepherd puppy - FREE to a good home!

Hello friends. Due to personal illness I'm no longer able to take care of my 11 month old white GSD. I've put up an ad on Gumtree and had hundreds of enquries in just 1 day. There's a lot of demand for him so I'm interviewing candidates and having them see the dog before making a decision. I will make sure he goes only to a good home. 

First and foremost I wanted to get any advice with my selection as I hear there are people who take free dogs to use them in fights or as breeders, especially one this rare. I want to make sure this doesn't happen but I can't be completely sure. 

I would be happy if someone from here wanted to get in touch and view him. Here is the Gumtree ad with all the details. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/horsley-park/dogs-puppies/very-rare-white-german-shepherd/1144700444?utm_source=com.android.mms&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Have you spoken to the dogs breeder. That would be my first line of enquiry as they may be happy to have him back or have people waiting for available dogs. 

My my main concern here if the dog is entire that's ok at this age but any dog with hip issues should not be a candidate for breeding ever. So rehoming this dog at this time you really must somehow ensure he can't be used for breeding. 

Be aware that byb trying to source entire animals will send in contract buyers with all the right answers/situations in their behalf. Then take the dog straight to the real buyer. 

• Like 4

I would suggest you tell people when they enquire that he will be desexed before he leaves you , you don't have to do that, but it will make the ones looking to breed him back off,

i would perhaps up the price too, you don't have to charge it when it comes to it, but change the ad and price and say its to cover his desexing fee.

People lie through their teeth to get cheap dogs, can you get him into a rescue?

• Like 3

Oh .That's sad . :(

PLEASE ask for at least $300.00 . SO many folks think 'cheap dog = needs not much care ' :(:( I also would be asking his breeder , and a GSD rescue . ..and make SURE he is desexed before sale ,(purchase price will then cover a lot of the price) or  more than likely he WILL be used to father pups ....  which is in no-one's best interest . 

Change the wording of your ad too .. you do mention 'give away' ... and that really is a  "C'mon folks, all in!"  ...

Take care ..

• Like 1

Desex, home visit and put a price to avoid 're sellers' that troll online for free/cheap desirable dogs (incl rescue dogs!).
Once upon a time, there was a reseller who used to mate her collected dogs and sell a 'breeding pair' before the pups were born. She sold a job lot of 6 standard and white sheps, two pregnant. All scavenged with a seemingly genuine story. 

Then there's 'want' a breed but can't handle the breed. ;)

Not meaning to be a panic merchant but that's what's out there. I'm happy for you to cut&paste our adoption application from the website. 

Or contact a reputable rescue for help.

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys! I've been in contact with someone who saw the ad and they work with rescue groups and are assisting me in getting him rehomed to the best person. I may end up using a rescue organization. 

However this has become really sad for me as rescue groups aren't likely to disclose who the dogs go to, and I wanted to be able to visit and check up on my boy after he's gone :( I feel like it's unnecessarily cruel for both me and the dog to never be able to see each other again! 

Edited by Cuko13

So this is the one with severe hip dysplasia and you are going overseas for 9 weeks in June?

I'd be letting the Rescue (is it a good rescue?) find the best possible home for him, and his issues.    Seeing a dog once he's been rehomed to another family isn't fair on the dog to be honest, he will recognise you and be stressed when you go.

• Like 1

If he has hip dysplasia please disclose this to those who enquire, you are only storing up pain and expense for the new owner and pain for the dog if you don't. Honesty and full disclosure is the best thing you can do for this dog. Trying to see him again won't do him any favours either, he is likely to settle better if you don't. I am confused by you suggesting people want to take free dogs as 'breeders' when his add says he is desexed?

I think really he will be better off if you just let White Shepherd Rescue place him. And stop calling him rare, that just attracts the wrong sort of interest. They aren't that rare anyway, if they need a whole rescue org devoted to them. Good luck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cazablanca said:

So this is the one with severe hip dysplasia and you are going overseas for 9 weeks in June?

I'd be letting the Rescue (is it a good rescue?) find the best possible home for him, and his issues.    Seeing a dog once he's been rehomed to another family isn't fair on the dog to be honest, he will recognise you and be stressed when you go.

Oh :( more to the story then. 

If you are worried about cruel can you not board your dog for the 9wks?

Wanting to see him again after he is rehomed is just selfish on your part. He won't settle and its not fair on him.

I wouldn't take on a dog whose owner wanted to visit.

Why cant he go to WS rescue? they will place him properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, persephone said:

This was discussed in the OP's first post ...apparently things have sadly happened since .

:dunce: LOL

Adding, visiting an adopted dog is actually very sad for both involved and also not something new owners really want to get into. They are only adopting a dog not their old owner. ;) Personally I will fwd an update email with email addresses removed just the once if the new owners ask to. All the relevant information is usually in a big list handed over at the time of surrender so close contact isn't really encouraged by rescue groups as a privacy issue but also to avoid dramas.

Edited by Powerlegs
adding extras.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

However this has become really sad for me as rescue groups aren't likely to disclose who the dogs go to, and I wanted to be able to visit and check up on my boy after he's gone :( I feel like it's unnecessarily cruel for both me and the dog to never be able to see each other again! 

1.  I absolutely and 100% support rescue groups having such a policy.  

2.  You absolutely should not be visiting your dog once he has been rehomed.  You have to accept the fact that you can’t look after him for whatever reason and let go.  What would be cruel is going to visit him.  Stop thinking of how YOU feel:  think of the dog and the new owners.  

• Like 2

I'm letting him go because after a lengthy round of treatment and surgeries for my health problems, doctors have not given me the best prognosis. It is for this reason that I have decided to visit back home for a few weeks later on this year. With all that going on I no longer have the time or energy to care for him. 

Re visiting him once rehomed, I wasn't aware that there is an agreed concensus on this. I've known a few friends who've given their dogs to other family members and still been able to visit them without issues. The dog is usually confused at first but eventually just learns to accept that the original owner won't be around as much anymore so he clings to the new alpha. I can understand that there may be a bad image associated with the 'original owner' because in most cases they heartlessly abandoned their dog without a care, but this is quite different tbf. 

The idea of letting him sit abandoned in a foster care pound wondering why I've left him absolutely  kills me. I would sleep easier knowing that he was (hypothetically) put to sleep which would alleviate any suffering or misery on his part. This is especially true because it could be a long time until his hips are properly treated and he finds a new home. I don't want him in and out of foster care in constant pain and a broken heart as well. 

I've taken down the ad and am currently in contact with a few rescues. If no luck I will repost with an asking price and disclosure that he needs hip care. 

• Like 1

Many of the good/reputable rescues have foster carers that have the foster dogs in their own homes... not kennels or a shelter situation. If your boy is good with other animals, then there would be no reason for him to be kenneled...

T.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

If a rescue group uses kennels except for short term quarantine reasons or while organising transport avoid them like the plague.  

It can also depend on the kenneling setup, and how long the dogs are in them each day... if they have yards that the dogs exercise in for numerous hours during the day, then that's  not the same as dogs only getting out of their kennels for the minimum required time (as per law)... but those setups are few and far between I agree.

If the OP's dog is relatively social with other animals, then I don't see why a foster home wouldn't be the first option for any rescue... and I wouldn't advise kennels for a dog with severe hip issues - the weather is getting colder overnight, and he needs soft bedding and no draughts...

T.