Jump to content
Sunny1979

A strange puppy Tale. (Not tail)

74 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rozzie said:

Please buy him Puppy food. Maxi Starter is for bitches with pups and Pedigree is not a very good food. Royal Canin  medium Junior  would be a better choice.

He's cute . Please don't let him down outside before he is fully vaccinated.

Oh well we  tried a few,  We were using medium Junior earlier and he refuse to eat it so vet told to change to Maxi Starter as he was not eating medium junior.  We also tried purina but he did not like that as well.

 

Ok thanx I purchased some potty pads so will keep him inside until his vaccinations are complete.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

Your vets sound very weird .

Any decent vet would have suggested adding nutrigel if the pup is that weak and requiring added support.

If this pup is struggling then the diet needs to be changed ,it doesn’t need soya chunks ,it needs to go on a puppy dry ,meat and keep it simple to allow its body to adapt start to nourish itself and then add appropriate things slowly 

It doesn’t need rice,,cerelac,chopped beans .

Sleeping for 20 hrs is so not normal and if your walking a sick,exhausted puppy especially in the current warm weather it will deteriorate quickly .

 

There is no way this pup had parvo and survival rate without treatment and treatment very early is poor .

A dog with parvo is very easy to spot and for a vet some key factors that make it obvious namely the horrid smell 

 

Has this pup even been wormed .

 

Its sad you brought from such a shonky breeder and I hope you have no long term issues 

Yes the puppy was de wormed on 15th Dec and then 31st Dec

 

Everyone here is against rice and carrots and beans, but on google search if you search or even you tube videos  "home made meals for puppies" rice and carrots and beans are almost present in every video.  So its kind of confusing.  Maybe I did not explain it properly. We are not giving him Just Rice and Beans and Carrots. We will mix 1 tea spoon of carrots or beans or 2 tea spoons of cooked boiled rice with his meal.

 

So it would be something like

 

30 Gms of Royal Canin or Purina or Pedigree + 1 tea spoon of carrots +  1 of  beans

or Chicken broth + Royal Canin + 1 full egg

Or 1 spoon of ceralac + Fresh Chicken de boned in morning

or Fresh Boiled Mutton + 1 tea spooon of boiled pumpkin

 

While he is playing in afternoon we will give him a piece of fruit etc.  Its really cold here

 

So we portion in such a way that he gets a balanced meal. Please don't think we are only feeding him carrots and beans and rice.

 

Hope this clears everyone doubts.

 

Does the puppy look very weak in the video?  Thanx for the cute comment on behalf of Tuffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rozzie   

No, he doesn't. Persist with the puppy food. You are making a rod for your own back if you keep changing every time he doesn't eat. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please realize that a lot of dog people are highly opinionated about dog foods.  There is pathetically little hard evidence behind many of the claims that this or that commercial food is "rubbish".  And some foods condemned as toxic are fine (avocados, for one).  A little human food, eg fruits, veg, will do no harm, though it's not good for it to become a major component of the diet.  In Oz, pumpkin is used instead of banana for stomach distress, but I think banana would be much the same.  If you do feed raw meat, use only very fresh, human grade.  Meat that has gone off can make a little one very sick (salmonella). 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

If Tuffy had/has Parvo, then Tuffy would be extremely sick or dead by now wthout hospital treatment... so we can safely say he didn't/doesn't have it.

 

In the video he looks active and alert... pretty normal to me.

 

You say he was wormed on the 31st? Is it after that when he felt unwell? Some puppies can feel poorly after worming - I have even seen puppies die after worming because their tummies didn't take the assault from the worming drugs very well. If you can use worming tablets like Canex or Fenpral, they are easier on puppies, but work well against worms. I would steer clear of tablets like Drontal until he is much older/bigger.

 

Are his poops solid or runny? Solid is good, runny is not so good, but depending on other symptoms and diet, not necessarily a huge issue in a young pup.

 

At 6-7 weeks of age, I would expect Tuffy to sleep a lot more than we humans normally think is enough... he will be growing and needs the sleep to do so. As long as between naps, he is acting normally (read active and alert), then more sleep may just be normal for him at this stage of his development.

 

Has Tuffy had any vaccinations at all yet? If not, I suggest that a C3 ASAP is required at the very least - I would not do a C5 until his 3rd and final vaccination when he's a bit bigger, OK?

 

If your vet is still insisting that Tuffy should be put to sleep when he appears to be doing just fine, then you need to find another vet... I wouldn't bother with another Parvo test at this stage... I'd be making sure Tuffy gets his C3 vaccination NOW.

 

T.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuffy looks normal in that little video :) 

Not sure what videos you watch to see how to feed a puppy ...BUT a good  processed puppy food has EVERYTHING in it which a puppy needs . ( most also contain cereal already ) 
A puppy food , plus some real meat , eggs and maybe fruit for treats is all he needs - really . The broth sounds a good idea if it's cold weather :) 
he does not NEED rice . All it will do is give him a big belly . 

Think about how dogs are made .
they are not made like cows/deer/sheep , who eat grains...
They are made more like wolves ..who eat MEAT .
if you watch wildlife shows ...do you see a mother wolf/fox/jackal  bringing home seeds/fruit for her babies ? 
Even tho dogs are now living with humans ..the way their bodies work still needs MEAT proteins and nutrients to  grow and work best.

Tuffy can go outside ... but in your arms ..or a car ..or a baby's stroller :) that way he gets to see and enjoy the world , but does not have as much risk of contacting dog waste - and maybe catching disease :)

Tuffy sounds a pretty lucky boy .

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8He looks beautiful in the photograph, Sunny.  

 

The diet as as you have outlined does seem to be a good one; perhaps you could give him a meaty bone from time to time as well - a big one so he can’t break it up or swallow pieces.  Just so he can knaw on it for his teeth and enjoyment.  

 

You may not have many choices, but I would be looking at changing vets.   

 

Good luck.  Your little Tuffy is much loved. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Loving my Oldies said:

8He looks beautiful in the photograph, Sunny.

doesn't he just ? :) happy chappy ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Please realize that a lot of dog people are highly opinionated about dog foods.  There is pathetically little hard evidence behind many of the claims that this or that commercial food is "rubbish".  And some foods condemned as toxic are fine (avocados, for one).  A little human food, eg fruits, veg, will do no harm, though it's not good for it to become a major component of the diet.  In Oz, pumpkin is used instead of banana for stomach distress, but I think banana would be much the same.  If you do feed raw meat, use only very fresh, human grade.  Meat that has gone off can make a little one very sick (salmonella). 

Yes I agree with you sandgrubber,  we only give him the meat that we  eat and cook. Those are some interesting points you have mentioned. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tdierikx said:

If Tuffy had/has Parvo, then Tuffy would be extremely sick or dead by now wthout hospital treatment... so we can safely say he didn't/doesn't have it.

 

In the video he looks active and alert... pretty normal to me.

 

You say he was wormed on the 31st? Is it after that when he felt unwell? Some puppies can feel poorly after worming - I have even seen puppies die after worming because their tummies didn't take the assault from the worming drugs very well. If you can use worming tablets like Canex or Fenpral, they are easier on puppies, but work well against worms. I would steer clear of tablets like Drontal until he is much older/bigger.

 

Are his poops solid or runny? Solid is good, runny is not so good, but depending on other symptoms and diet, not necessarily a huge issue in a young pup.

 

At 6-7 weeks of age, I would expect Tuffy to sleep a lot more than we humans normally think is enough... he will be growing and needs the sleep to do so. As long as between naps, he is acting normally (read active and alert), then more sleep may just be normal for him at this stage of his development.

 

Has Tuffy had any vaccinations at all yet? If not, I suggest that a C3 ASAP is required at the very least - I would not do a C5 until his 3rd and final vaccination when he's a bit bigger, OK?

 

If your vet is still insisting that Tuffy should be put to sleep when he appears to be doing just fine, then you need to find another vet... I wouldn't bother with another Parvo test at this stage... I'd be making sure Tuffy gets his C3 vaccination NOW.

 

T.

I simply love your post, as you are asking all those points that I wanted to discuss with VETS but it seems they are overloaded with work.

 

When we bring him initially on 25th xmas day he was good,  he traveled in car with me for more then 7 hours.

 

15 breeder informed us that he de wormed him

26th he ate normal

27 he ate normal but got some shivers after eating rice.

27 th night he vomitted

28 th no eat 

29 no eat ( only gravy given by doc)

then slowly started drinking chicken soup

ate 10 pieces of pedigree

After that day he did not look back, and now eats everything that includes my fingers and my furniture. his bowl is nice  and clean after every meal

31st he was de wormed by me  we de-wormed him using BandyStar Pup - Pyrantel Pamoate and Febantel Suspension Nematocide

He ate normal after I de-wormed him and is very playful

2nd jan we changed vet and took him to new one

2nd Jan he was given 1st set of vaccination his next vaccination is due on 9th. Doc gave him something called  DHLPPi 7 in 1

He is eating normal after his vaccination and is very playful 

Doc got upset with me and told me not to take him out as its too cold for a puppy and told me to use potty pads. Also he mentioned we should wait until he is fully vaccinated or we risk him again.

 

 

 

Since we got him from breeder he has solid stool and vomited only once on 27th evening but only food I could not see blood. He eats very fast and at times he gets hick ups. Not sure why

 

He sleeps long hours now but now very active if we drop something, he will run towards that object to see and then tries to smell it, this sound music to my ears :).

 

We did not want to put him to sleep thats why came here :)  He is doing good and eating normally. I am just extra worried as parvo can appear any time even after vaccinations. So tryign to learn from experience of pther members

 

Posting another video of a major change in tuffy, when he is hungry he brings his bowl to the kitchen area and drops it on floor, I guess its way of telling us that he is hungry, he has done this 2nd time now and we were like :eek:

 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/31bukDtyKTzD1tqq6 - Tuffy brings his food bowl near kitchen area at his dinner time to ask for food or maybe he is just playing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

8He looks beautiful in the photograph, Sunny.  

 

The diet as as you have outlined does seem to be a good one; perhaps you could give him a meaty bone from time to time as well - a big one so he can’t break it up or swallow pieces.  Just so he can knaw on it for his teeth and enjoyment.  

 

You may not have many choices, but I would be looking at changing vets.   

 

Good luck.  Your little Tuffy is much loved. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thank a mil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, persephone said:

doesn't he just ? :) happy chappy ! 

yes those 2 days were worst puppy days when he refused to eat, We were confused and  :confused: since then i am more serious about saving him and get very worried, we try to give him our best. Thanx for all the inputs. I would be sharing more of tuffy stories here. I really like this friendly place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Sunny1979  Tuffy looks lovely  & healthy,  I'm so glad for you both,  Tuffy was probably a bit upset over the big move from his mum &  litter mates  & then a different unknown house,   Fantastic that is sorted out now & you can enjoy him playing &  eating well.                         Do you think that first Vet wanted Tuffy  ( put to sleep )   Maybe to keep &  Sell pup,  being so cute?                                                                                                                                  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hi @Sunny1979  Tuffy looks lovely  & healthy,  I'm so glad for you both,  Tuffy was probably a bit upset over the big move from his mum &  litter mates  & then a different unknown house,   Fantastic that is sorted out now & you can enjoy him playing &  eating well.                         Do you think that first Vet wanted Tuffy  ( put to sleep )   Maybe to keep &  Sell pup,  being so cute?                                                                                                                                  

 

He was extremely weak then, I don't know, I was not happy when he gave us news about parvo. Could not think of other things at that point, it simply did not cross my mind. I asked him about treatment cost, and it was very very expensive.  He said drip 2 times a day and some serum cost then based on how puppy reacts treatment cost + vet fees + hospitalization + medicine cost and the worst part was when he said we cannot grantee after treatment he will MAKE IT, In my mind i was thinking what other options do i have, then he said you can also put him down or it would be too difficult if you get attached to him. So in my mind  I was like I could Save some for my rainy days or I can give a try and save his life ,  So I had to choose between apples or oranges, I told the vet I need some time to rethink and came home and started reading on internet.  I came across a video on you tube by britaniee she saved 7 pups with parvo, but when i checked her video i felt Tuffy is not showing any symptoms. So I messaged her but then realized she put that video 5 years ago and maybe she is busy withs omething else.  I wanted second views and healthy discussions to boost my confidence and avoid the guilt of giving him proper treatment and hence came here. So I wanted to do a test again. A miracle happened and he started eating  after that day. Fingers crossed, hopefully he will have a happy life after such a dreadful start.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) That video is cute .he also looks older than 7 weeks .....

he looks very happy !! :)

OK.

with parvo .

Puppies get VERY VERY ill , VERY VERY fast .

I have seen puppies die within 24 hours .  No, NO JOKE :( There is no question with it . No waiting for days  to see ....

Parvo can be absolutely vicious. , and yes , because of the damage the virus does , the dehydration ..hospital is the ONLY thing to do ..and puppies are on drips and medicines 24 hrs/day to help them heal . Not sure about India ...but stray dogs would carry it everywhere, I would think :(
Paarvovirus is tough ..and survives sun/soap  etc .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

@Sunny1979.... sounds like Tuffy is doing really well in your care... keep up the great work, OK?

 

Looks like the vet on 2nd Jan gave him a 7 in 1 vaccination - which covers all the nasties needed plus a few types of Leptosorosis (and possibly coronavirus - which has similar sytmptoms to Parvo).  Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a 7 in 1 to a pup under 10-12 weeks, but Tuffy has handled it just fine by the sound of things... sweet! Just to note... if you have another Parvo test now, he WILL show positive for Parvo, as the vaccine has a modified (not deadly) version of Parvo in it. This does NOT mean he actually has Parvo, just that his body is producing antibodies to protect him from it (which is GOOD).

 

I would say that Tuffy probably just felt a little bit overwhelmed by leaving his Mum and littermates, having a change in diet and routine, and most likely a lot of undivided attention from his new loving family... not that it is bad for him, but can sometimes overstimulate little ones and they can feel unwell for a few days.

 

Also, he eats very fast because he most likely had to share dinners with many other pups for a while, and he learned to gobble up as much as he could so he didn't miss out. You could try slowing him down by maybe putting very small amounts of food spaced a distance apart so he has time to swallow each mouthful before gobbling down the next one... over time he will learn that he doesn't have to share, and should eat a bit slower. Eating too fast can make their tummies upset too... and might have been why he vomited that day, and then associated eating dinner with feeling unwell for a couple of days. Eventually they get hungry enough to chance eating properly, and never look back... *grin*

 

I agree with everyone else here who is advising you to not take Tuffy out in public places until after his 3rd vaccination has had time to kick in (about 5 days after the actual vaccination)... you are doing everything else just right to ensure he has a long and healthy life, so a little bit more patience before you share him with the rest of the world will just be the icing on the cake, OK?

 

What a smart little man bringing his bowl to you when he wants food! He is obviously learning and growing up smart... maybe you could try teaching him basic obedience at home while you wait for when he can go outside safely. Things like sit, stay, drop, walking nicely on the lead, are good to start with... and who knows, you might find a few other cool tricks for him to learn as well...

 

Keep up the great work... Tuffy is doing awesomely well with you so far!

 

T.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will start giving him basic training and commands soon, most likely from tomorrow if he stays this way. What impresses me is he already understands many things without saying but is very moody and will only do when he feels like. I think he knows what i want from him but he is playing some mind games with me.

 

For example he knows i want him to Go potty on pad, so if left alone he will only potty on pad, but he doesn't pee on pad all the  times. So when accident happens I take him to potty pad WHen I piick him up and take him to potty pad and give command to pee he will play with me instead of pee. he will not pee for 1 hour and  me will go bonkers. If I leave him alone  he might go to pee on potty pad like a 70% chance.

 

When i try to praise him on potty pad he takes it other way and tries to bite/play with my hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

@Sunny1979.... sounds like Tuffy is doing really well in your care... keep up the great work, OK?

 

Looks like the vet on 2nd Jan gave him a 7 in 1 vaccination - which covers all the nasties needed plus a few types of Leptosorosis (and possibly coronavirus - which has similar sytmptoms to Parvo).  Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a 7 in 1 to a pup under 10-12 weeks, but Tuffy has handled it just fine by the sound of things... sweet! Just to note... if you have another Parvo test now, he WILL show positive for Parvo, as the vaccine has a modified (not deadly) version of Parvo in it. This does NOT mean he actually has Parvo, just that his body is producing antibodies to protect him from it (which is GOOD).

 

I would say that Tuffy probably just felt a little bit overwhelmed by leaving his Mum and littermates, having a change in diet and routine, and most likely a lot of undivided attention from his new loving family... not that it is bad for him, but can sometimes overstimulate little ones and they can feel unwell for a few days.

 

Also, he eats very fast because he most likely had to share dinners with many other pups for a while, and he learned to gobble up as much as he could so he didn't miss out. You could try slowing him down by maybe putting very small amounts of food spaced a distance apart so he has time to swallow each mouthful before gobbling down the next one... over time he will learn that he doesn't have to share, and should eat a bit slower. Eating too fast can make their tummies upset too... and might have been why he vomited that day, and then associated eating dinner with feeling unwell for a couple of days. Eventually they get hungry enough to chance eating properly, and never look back... *grin*

 

I agree with everyone else here who is advising you to not take Tuffy out in public places until after his 3rd vaccination has had time to kick in (about 5 days after the actual vaccination)... you are doing everything else just right to ensure he has a long and healthy life, so a little bit more patience before you share him with the rest of the world will just be the icing on the cake, OK?

 

What a smart little man bringing his bowl to you when he wants food! He is obviously learning and growing up smart... maybe you could try teaching him basic obedience at home while you wait for when he can go outside safely. Things like sit, stay, drop, walking nicely on the lead, are good to start with... and who knows, you might find a few other cool tricks for him to learn as well...

 

Keep up the great work... Tuffy is doing awesomely well with you so far!

 

T.

 

Thanx what a wonderful way you have suggested to slow him down with his eating. I will try that and let you know. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

Toilet training can be frustrating... but he will get it eventually... lol!

 

Puppies are a bit like children sometimes... and they don't always have great bladder control when they are little. If they feel the need to go, and something else is more interesting at the time, they will just wee where they are and then continue playing. Tuffy is smart, and I'm sure he'll work it out just fine as he gets a bit older and has more control in holding his need until he gets to the pad. 70% accuracy is really good for his age already, so keep doing what you are doing there... it's working!

 

Puppies also have the attention span of a gnat... so training sessions should be very short to start with... like 5-10 minutes at a time. If he wants longer, he'll let you know by looking for more cues to do things for you. Being cheeky or naughty should be ignored, and then when he does do what you are asking, lots of praise or a food reward (very small pieces) will do wonders for his attention...

 

T.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×