Jump to content
HunterDoggy

Enclosure for feeding dog with food aggression

39 posts in this topic

Hi all,

 

I’ve posted in the past about my dog with OCD and anxiety who becomes extremely good aggressive. I don’t want to have a discussion about him and his issues today but I’m looking for help with ideas. We have had a set routine which has worked well up until a few weeks ago. It’s at the point where we need to figure out a more secure and safe routine for ourselves and our dog. 

 

His vet specialist suggested a crate to somehow be customised to work with him and us but I’m a bit stumped on ideas at the moment. We basically need to make him go into an area, be able to then put food safely without him getting to us, then once he’s finished be able to let him out. I found online these spinning bowls, they basically can be pushed inside the crate and then spun back out again. We were thinking of making a crate and adding that but I feel we made need a divider to there is two seperate sections for him to be in just incase.. I don’t know if what I’m saying is making much sense but I’m just looking for ideas and thoughts that may help get my creative juices flowing! Even if anyone knows of a crate that has two seperate sections with a divider down the middle that can be removed from outside the crate.. that may be a start. Anyway.. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

so he needs to be contained prior to you preparing his food? I was thinking one of those timer food bowls put into a room, then the dog, then the timer will open the feeder. Wouldn't work if the dog needs to be locked up prior though as you would still have to get the food into the room. Otherwise dog in room, barrier across doorway but raised off the floor enough to slide bowl under.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JRG   

Not sure that this will help you,but a couple of things in my system of feeding might be of use:

 

1.i prepare the feed dishes the night before.  This means that I can feed all dogs  - I have 6  or more - almost instantaneously.

2. Eachdog goes into its own pen and i close all gates.  No food appears until all dogs are in.

3 the stainless steel feed dish for each dog is pushed under the gate so that it slides into the middle of the pen.   The steel bowls slide really well 

4Each dog can eat as fast or slow as it likes without interference

 

should add that i do not have any food aggression problems, but better safe than sorry

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rebanne said:

so he needs to be contained prior to you preparing his food? I was thinking one of those timer food bowls put into a room, then the dog, then the timer will open the feeder. Wouldn't work if the dog needs to be locked up prior though as you would still have to get the food into the room. Otherwise dog in room, barrier across doorway but raised off the floor enough to slide bowl under.

We would have used a timed feeder a longggg time ago but unfortunately he will just guard it, just like regular bowls. And we haven’t used a bowl in a long time. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JRG said:

Not sure that this will help you,but a couple of things in my system of feeding might be of use:

 

1.i prepare the feed dishes the night before.  This means that I can feed all dogs  - I have 6  or more - almost instantaneously.

2. Eachdog goes into its own pen and i close all gates.  No food appears until all dogs are in.

3 the stainless steel feed dish for each dog is pushed under the gate so that it slides into the middle of the pen.   The steel bowls slide really well 

4Each dog can eat as fast or slow as it likes without interference

 

should add that i do not have any food aggression problems, but better safe than sorry

Thanks for your comment. We don’t bring food out until he is already locked up but unfortunately that doesn’t help his issues. We also can’t use bowls so that system won’t work for us. 

 

I’m thinking even a funnel type system so the food can just be dropped down to him may work..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

So no bowls.  Ok so what is the dog fed? Just dry food?  Hmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scratch   

Years ago when I worked at kennels we had one run set aside for aggressive & dangerous dogs. 

Dogs housed in that run could not be touched and the run not entered. The run had a shallow slide out tray for feeding to facilitate feeding and cleaning of the tray without having to enter or touch the run. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   
43 minutes ago, HunterDoggy said:

Thanks for your comment. We don’t bring food out until he is already locked up but unfortunately that doesn’t help his issues. We also can’t use bowls so that system won’t work for us. 

 

I’m thinking even a funnel type system so the food can just be dropped down to him may work..

Sounds like a decent plan... works for the big cats I've worked with, so why not for a dog?

 

I'm assuming he can't be near anyone when food is around at all? That must be so hard on you and your family...

 

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

So no bowls.  Ok so what is the dog fed? Just dry food?  Hmmm

We a do dry and wet food mix. It currently just gets put outside on the ground and he eats it with no bowl but we have to change up our system because it’s not working anymore..

 

 

2 hours ago, Scratch said:

Years ago when I worked at kennels we had one run set aside for aggressive & dangerous dogs. 

Dogs housed in that run could not be touched and the run not entered. The run had a shallow slide out tray for feeding to facilitate feeding and cleaning of the tray without having to enter or touch the run. 

 

 

This is a good idea.. I was thinking of making something like that I just need someone to help me as I’m not very handy! Thanks for the comment.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Sounds like a decent plan... works for the big cats I've worked with, so why not for a dog?

 

I'm assuming he can't be near anyone when food is around at all? That must be so hard on you and your family...

 

T.

Maybe a mix of a funnel / tube to drop the food down onto a tray that can be pulled away once he’s done.. 

 

It is really hard. He’s tried multiple medications but nothing has really worked. We’ve just started another.. we’ll see how this one goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tdierikx   

Vebo crates have a slide out tray at the bottom...

 

https://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/crates-and-cages/

 

Just thinking of logistics here... does the dog get aggressive as soon as he sees food? Do you need to have him contained prior to the food appearing, or can you place it in a crate/enclosure, then let him at it? Does he settle down after the food is gone, making it easy for you to just let him out and then clean?

 

T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Boronia   

can you pop him in his crate and slide the feeder-bowl-part of an automatic feeder under the wire (if there's a space to do this)

something similar to this

https://petlifetoday.com/best-automatic-dog-feeders/

this one may do the job as it's voice activated, you may have to hunt for a similar voice activated one as the postage is horrendous---> feeder link

maybe you will need to buy a crate with a slot at the bottom though

this one also may be a plan  https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-feeding-supplies/petsafe-smart-feed-automatic-dog-and-cat-feeder#

Edited by Boronia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JRG   

Here is a pic of a little "spare" pen I have in the yard.  It is completely enclosed and safe - can be padlocked it needed.

('Fiver' is not quite sure why he has been enclosed!!)

I have pushed an old frying pan under the bottom rail.  It has two treats in it (but he is not amused).

Note that I have not had to come into contact with the dog inside the pen, and I could tie the pan handle to the verandah post if I wanted to keep it within my reach so  can remove it.

RIMG0138.JPG

RIMG0141.JPG

RIMG0143.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rebanne   

ok so a pan/bowl/tray of some sort that can be slid under a barrier, secured and then pulled back out when dog has finished? I like what JRG has done!

 

ETA as I am still thinking :laugh:  What are the chances the dog would then resource guard the area he is fed in? Would he protect a cage setup like JRG? If you used a barrier across a doorway would the dog then protect that doorway/room?

 

Why is putting the food outside on the ground no longer working? Is the dog now guarding the whole backyard?

Edited by Rebanne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this DIY remote treat dispense and thought of you!

 

unknown.png?width=365&height=500

 

if its too small to read, it's pvc piping. In the doorway is a hook or something to help hold it up to get more incline. they're rolling kibble down it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 9:30 AM, JRG said:

Here is a pic of a little "spare" pen I have in the yard.  It is completely enclosed and safe - can be padlocked it needed.

('Fiver' is not quite sure why he has been enclosed!!)

I have pushed an old frying pan under the bottom rail.  It has two treats in it (but he is not amused).

Note that I have not had to come into contact with the dog inside the pen, and I could tie the pan handle to the verandah post if I wanted to keep it within my reach so  can remove it.

RIMG0138.JPG

RIMG0141.JPG

RIMG0143.JPG

Thanks for sharing and thank your beautiful dog model for helping too haha! At first I thought this would be a good idea but my husband and I talked it out and went through ideas and we think it will be an added stress to the system but putting a pan (or whatever object) into the area and then having to take it away. Thank you so much for sharing though, I appreciate the help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 9:58 AM, Rebanne said:

ok so a pan/bowl/tray of some sort that can be slid under a barrier, secured and then pulled back out when dog has finished? I like what JRG has done!

 

ETA as I am still thinking :laugh:  What are the chances the dog would then resource guard the area he is fed in? Would he protect a cage setup like JRG? If you used a barrier across a doorway would the dog then protect that doorway/room?

 

Why is putting the food outside on the ground no longer working? Is the dog now guarding the whole backyard?

So.. he is a very complicated boy that’s for sure! He doesn’t resource guard an area or room. At the moment we put him in the laundry behind a baby gate and then do the food, come back to the laundry and let him outside through the laundry door. That worked well for quite a while but now he has started not wanting to let us in the laundry to be able to let him out. It’s not that he is guarding the laundry, it’s that he gets so worked out knowing what is coming. Also once we get in the laundry and let him outside he would always just go straight to the food but now he runs outside then runs back inside to bite us...

 

Once he has eaten his food he snaps out of this state and goes back to his regular self..

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×