Are there cheaper alternatives to Nexgard Spectra?

GreenLego

I give my dog Nexgard Spectra to cover flea, tick and worms. I also used The Big 5 Protection Pack when it was cheaper than Nexgard, but Big 5 is now discontinued.

Are there cheaper alternatives that covers flea, tick and worms? Neovet looks OK but doesn't cover ticks.

Thank you.

Crunch numbers and see if you can save on a combo from Budget Pets. You only need to worm every three months so drontal allwormer is great. Valueheart is cheap heartworm monthly and plain Simparica is flea, mite, tick (incl paralysis monthly). It's not the same as giving one to cover everything, so you need your calendar. :)

• Like 2

Seconding Powerlegs about looking at online stores like Budget Pet Products. Some of the big box stores also price match.

I’d also suggest calling your vet. They know your dog’s medical history, can consider any lifestyle factors, tell you what products are working well in your area at different price points, and what frequency they recommend. You don’t have to buy from them, but it’s a good idea to get an individual recommendation. The vet nurse can probably help you over the phone.

remember dont give Nexguard, Bravecto or Simparica to any puppies under 12 months.  Had two vets tell me that now..

vets are doing it to puppies on their second vaccination, it kills a percentage, not that they admit that, last two affected the vet told them its parents must have passed on epilepsy to the pup and to sue the breeder.

its a neurotoxin with no antidote, once your dog is fitting and foaming its only has a 50% chance of recovery. From what I have seen with peoples whose dogs were poisoned with it.  pups under 12 months are particularly susceptible.  Not that the company or the vets selling it will admit.  Take that back, the vet who gave it to 7 of a friends puppies of which 5 began fitting and 2 did not recover and had to be put down admitted since he had first began selling it when it came out 70 had died.  (technically as they were put down the toxin didn't kill them, the vet did) well sematic's aside they ended up dead.

oddly enough he is one vet who wont sell it anymore

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

Popantel all-wormer tablets are cheap and work well for internal parasites... and as @Powerlegsadvises, plain Simparica works well for fleas, ticks, and mites - combined those 2 products may end up cheaper than an all-in-one treatment.

You could also look into the flea and tick collars, as they are relatively good value based on price and length of time they are effective for.

If you are in a tick prone area, it is imperative that you at least have your dog on a tick preventative, as there is currently a major tick antitoxin shortage in Australia, so if your dog gets a tick and needs treatment, you may find it difficult to get that done effectively, OK?

T.

• Like 2