"How some breeds have changed over 100 yrs."

persephone

Said a few times on here about the shepards , its absolutly disgracful whats happenned to them ,, like i've said  i live virtually on the dog beach and see every single day shepards that look like skinny jackals with a hunchback ,, its  criminal what they have done to that breed , and no one will tell me its not about money and winning ribbons

• Sad 2

Why did they change the German Shepherd in the first place to have the sloped back? What’s the reasoning behind it? It’s so obviously changed and in such a recent time that I don’t get why they allowed it, it was right in their face but they kept doing it, why? There has to be some back story or reason or logic because the sloped back doesn’t even look good so that can’t be the reason. Was it something to do with breeding in healthier lines and they happened to have the sloped back or what? In Europe are they still the straight backs? 

Forgive me for my ignorance. I love the German Shepherd but don’t know much about them. 

48 minutes ago, Amazetl said:

Why did they change the German Shepherd in the first place

A few years ago, a GS who could hardly walk his back was so sloped and his elbows were practically on the ground, won BIS (or similar) at Crufts.  An other year, a Pekinese who had had soft palate operations and could hardly breathe also won.  

You ask why.  Examine the judges, their contacts with breeders, etc etc.  There's an old adage, "Follow the money."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Agree many have changed for the worse. Although comparing just one undated photo of the past that may or may not be representative of the time to just one of today is very subjective- I can find hundred year old photos of my breed that look exactly like todays dogs, add better coat care and I could show them today,  and others that look quite different.

And weird text for some of the breeds-  for example, ‘colour change’ for Salukis is a nonsense, it is just their choice of photos.  And what do they mean under the Dobermann Pinscher that it’s a small dog that has gotten even smaller? Sounds like they have the different Pinscher breeds confused. 

I think what I find most fascinating is breeds that are both better in some aspects and worse in others- that modern Dachshund is a much sounder looking dog, the front leg deformities and dippy topline in the old photo make my own back hurt. But overall the shorter legs are not a trend that you’d want to go on. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 2

Hutchinsons Encyclopedia from approx 1930s shows many breeds which have not changed, particularly sighthounds.

Could it be that working tests keep exaggerations at bay?

In earlier times dog breeders and owners usually owned or had experience with other livestock so were more likely to understand that "short back" didn't mean the shorter the better.

If you draw a portrait of someone and exaggerate their characteristic features it is called a caricature. This has happened in some breeds.

• Like 3