Shelter In Trouble - Coffs Harbour NSW

_PL_

https://au.news.yahoo.com/animal-shelter-nightmare-dividing-sleepy-aussie-town-cant-stand-the-smell-055916664.html

Sorry guys, only on Yahoo News so far. Apologies for the ads. 

I hadn't heard of this group. And could go into detail about a largely unregulated industry.
But this isn't posted to bring down the woman in charge (who is probably at breaking point by now), more to illustrate out how out of control rescue can get and the animals suffer. :(  

• Sad 1

I reckon this is how Storybook Farm changed for the worse too. Took some high need rescue/surrenders in and suddenly they were coming out of the woodworks and her children were all dragged in to help with the realities of owning that many high need animals and it got out of control fairly quickly and she just started hiding it.

The reality is who does a rescuer reach out for help to in this instance? If they go to the RSPCA the animals are likely to be seized and euthanised and they may even be charged with an offence. I think that is why they hide it and hope they get on top of it all again. Even if you are attracting donations (like Storybook) that doesn't equate to extra time in your day and who do you pay to come in and help who may not also report you?

It's really a vicious cycle and of course it is ultimately the animals who suffer. 

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Sad 1

@Little Gifts so true. Always the animals. And there's a whole deterioration process that leads to a messy end. :( 

Nobody seems to be there to pick up on the early warning signs either. If they are, they are branded as haters or disgruntled. 

I too, think of Storybook when this stuff pops up. It should have been a genuine teachable moment for rescue.  

• Like 2

I've walked into a few rescue's yards to collect Pugs when I ran my rescue, that were much the same. Some of the much loved members here are included in that comment too - back in the rescue heyday of DOL.. If only people knew...

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

@Little Gifts so true. Always the animals. And there's a whole deterioration process that leads to a messy end. :( 

Nobody seems to be there to pick up on the early warning signs either. If they are, they are branded as haters or disgruntled. 

I too, think of Storybook when this stuff pops up. It should have been a genuine teachable moment for rescue.  

The bolded comment is so true.

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 1

Unfortunately this rescue also has adoption days where they go to the biggest off lead dog park in the area and have those flexible puppy pens with multiple dogs including puppies in them set up for people to adopt from.

--Lhok

• Sad 3

This is what happens when people get into the industry using only their hearts and not their heads so much. It is being compounded by new laws in NSW resulting in pounds having to offer animals to rescue rather than euthanaising them. Many animals that really shouldn't be out in the community are ending up with rescues that are ill-equipped to deal with their issues before attempting to rehome them - and feeling the need to move more animals out the doors to make room for more incoming.

Those responsible for these new laws (Emma Hurst from AJP and Abigail Boyd from the Greens) are now agitating for rescues to be funded by the government - but aren't interested in regulating the industry, as apparently the general concensus is that all rescuers are saints or something and they only have the animals' best interests at heart. That may be true of some, but from my years being involved in rescue, I actually found that there were way too many people in the "game" that really shouldn't be.

Animal rescue is now a pretty large "industry", and as such is long overdue for formal regulation. Right now, I could theoretically set up a shingle and start taking on multiple animals as a rescue... with no actual oversight. Who is going to make sure that I don't take on too many animals that I can't adequately care for? Who is going to make sure that I'm rehoming animals with their best interests at heart, rather than simply moving them on to make space to take in more? It should not come down to neighbours having to complain about a situation before action is taken to monitor any animal business... including rescue operations. Quite frankly, the pictures showing the state that animals are living in in that article should mean that no animals are allowed on that property until it is fully cleaned up. It is a dangerous environment for anyone living there, animal or human. The fact that council and RSPCA are handling this case with kid gloves is ridiculous - just because it's a rescue, doesn't mean that the animals there don't deserve so much better... even if "better" for certain animals means that they are given their wings.

T.

• Like 2

Totally agree with tdierikx.

The problem councils have is ratepayers don't want money spent on compliance unless it is for, say, illegal parking in their own street.

Someone in rescue who did a seminar out here ?Gwen Bailey said you have to ask 'is this animal better off today than it was yesterday?'. But there are those who think any kind of life for an animal is better than no life, or they are hoping that soon things will be better, despite all evidence to the contrary. 

When she first started at Blue Cross (UK) as the behaviourist Gwen took on a dog that had bitten several  people to rehabilitate, it took, from memory, two years. She said one third of Blue Cross surrendered dogs are for behaviour problems as perceived by owner eg destructive, doesn't like children, too big/too active, and for minor problems change of owner is enough to 'fix' the dog. Before adoption they have a video A New Dog in the Family and do a home visit. In 1995 their success rate (owners would choose the same dog again) was 93%. 

The most sage words I was ever told when I was in rescue was "not everything with a pulse is better off alive" and "there are worse fates than death"... there are some dogs whose daily existence is one of fear and dread, of anger, and of defensiveness at being in a situation they cannot control. Love and kindness alone is not always able to "fix" such issues... and dogs are made to exist in that continual mental torment because they are otherwise seemingly "fit and healthy" under casual observation.

I have met and worked with such dogs... and had to make hard decisions regarding their outcomes when it became obvious that they were simply not safe to be out in the community. I do not regret any one of the decisions to give those dogs their wings with the love and dignity they deserved. Unfortunately there are way too many people in rescue who, with all the best intentions I'm sure, fail to see that mental issues in dogs aren't all going to be overcome by simply giving love and affection or a new home/owner. Making up tragic back stories about a dog to "excuse" behavioural issues doesn't help either... it simply perpetuates the myth that rescue dogs are somehow "lesser than" or "broken" in some way... which is completely untrue for the vast majority of rescue dogs, who are perfectly delightful souls that simply found themselves homeless for some reason.

As for taxpayer money being spent on compliance or anything else... I have noticed a trend toward calls for government at all levels to fix or fund all manner of issues that could just as easily be overcome by all of us taking some personal responsibility for our own actions, or lack thereof... where are all the resources and funding supposed to be coming from if none of us want to pay higher taxes either? Government at all levels is faced with these conundrums as the howls for them to "do more" with the finite resources they have get ever louder.

T.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Is that supposed to be at the rescue property in the article above?

T.

Yes.  I have more photos, as it is in my community area & is constantly being put up on our community facebook page

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

Is there a reason it hasn't been shut down and all animals removed?

T.

Perhaps it's in the planning? :pray:

I've been wondering also ...... it would be a massive undertaking to clean her out in one go, and finding shelter room for all of them while assessed would be a logistical task. :(Then there's the possibility of charges and animals would need to be held unless surrendered - is my understanding of the process at least. 

So sad. Those poor animals. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Is there a reason it hasn't been shut down and all animals removed?

T.

According to the post on Facebook, it is an ongoing battle with RSPCA not doing anything about it & also the council.  It is a nightmare for her neighbours as well as those poor animals

• Sad 1