National Call to Ban Dog Breed After Child Attacked

Deeds

Such a shame. So sad for the little girl and also for the dog. Unsupervised and not a good match. These things shouldn’t be able to happen. I don’t think bans will go through and they shouldn’t have to - there should be common sense though. So sad. The dog was thrown outside and then the neighbour grabbed him and put him in their garage and the dog wasn’t being aggressive, I read. That poor little girl though. Why do people leave any child alone or near a large dog that just a little nip even could do considerable damage?

Babies, toddlers, young children and people who don’t have experience or knowledge on dog body language should never be left alone with any dog. I know sometimes life gets busy or it’s just a quick dash to the toilet or whatever but NO, don’t leave them alone for a moment. You are endangering the life of the child and of the dog and if something happens it will affect you for the rest of your life. Not worth it. 

On 29/03/2023 at 11:01 AM, Amazetl said:

Such a shame. So sad for the little girl and also for the dog. Unsupervised and not a good match. These things shouldn’t be able to happen. I don’t think bans will go through and they shouldn’t have to - there should be common sense though. So sad. The dog was thrown outside and then the neighbour grabbed him and put him in their garage and the dog wasn’t being aggressive, I read. That poor little girl though. Why do people leave any child alone or near a large dog that just a little nip even could do considerable damage?

Babies, toddlers, young children and people who don’t have experience or knowledge on dog body language should never be left alone with any dog. I know sometimes life gets busy or it’s just a quick dash to the toilet or whatever but NO, don’t leave them alone for a moment. You are endangering the life of the child and of the dog and if something happens it will affect you for the rest of your life. Not worth it. 

Amazeti, you are expecting too much of humans. Every few days there is a child run over in a driveway or left in a car, and then there is the road toll, mostly not 'accidents' at all but inattentiveness or recklessness.

I don't know the answer. I don't know what has reduced injuries in other countries. My guess is a combination of education, regulation and compliance checking. 

I also think it is important to know who the dog was obtained from, and why people expect a dog to do the work of a security system.

• Like 2

education is way more effective than just legislation written and shelved.

look at microchipping. its been law since 1998 yet still 80% of dogs impounded HAVE NO CHIP?????

Edited by asal
  • Like 2

I don’t know how many times, too, I’ve come across someone with their dog who clearly looks like he wouldn’t like other dogs but they tell me don’t worry they won’t bite and then they go to sniff and the dog tries to do just that. Same with children, I know stories of dogs who sometimes are perfectly fine with kids and then for whatever reason other times just aren’t, but the owners like to hide that fact. (I used to work with dogs). A lot of people are in denial or think they are just playing or our dog is a gentle giant and will let the toddler climb all over and never does anything. And that might be the case but perhaps that dog isn’t really liking that (what dog would?)

• Like 1

Used to work in social housing and  have been told a million times , Its ok he does'nt bite  just walk in ,,, and a million times my answer was ,  he don't bite you , i'm not taking the chance put him away or  stay here till  i'm comfortable ,,  and the sneaky ones 9 times out of 10 were the heeler and the kelpie . LOL   Heelers especielly sneaky they would come from behind LOL

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, asal said:

education is way more effective than just legislation written and shelved.

look at microchipping. its been law since 1998 yet still 80% of dogs impounded HAVE NO CHIP?????

& 99% of them in the Council Pound are still entire, same with the cats

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sheena said:

& 99% of them in the Council Pound are still entire, same with the cats

exactly the only people who comply are registered breeders and there are less and less every year the smear attacks are just so bad

• Sad 2

Education wont work because Australian dog owners feel a sense of entitlement of the rules dont apply to them whether it be picking their dogs poo up ,keeping their dog onleash or respecting that not every human wants their dog involved in their happenings.

We run a dog business .
Owners will walk there dogs over to our outdoor furniture to wee up,they let their dogs poo on the lawn & dont pick up even though a bin & bags are provided .
We constantly have to remind people to be respectful  of personal space & not allowing your dog to just come over .

I cant tell you how many times at the vets ive had to tell owners where not at the dog park & to move your dog away from mine & show some respect .

Even when i took in one of my very frail seniors  i had to deal with dipsh&t owners bringing there puppies over to say hello because there "friendly" & then turn all snowflake offended when you tell them to buggar off & use there brains . 

I swear those who attned puppy preschools seem to be the worse in thinking the world revolves around there dog being friendly .

Then you have the parents who yell to you "My child " is great with dogs dont worry & you can see the little monster has no respect or manners around dogs .
I walk my dogs in public wearing a body camera now due to the idiots of the world so yep banning a breed doesnt stop the actions of stupid people 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Funny (but sad) story told by a vet nurse:

Dog allowed to go to the end of the leash (not a flexilead), upsetting other animals in the waiting room. Nurse requests owner keep the dog on a short leash. Owner's response "But I didn't bring a short leash".

Edited by Mairead
  • Haha 1

"Shorten your leash!" is the number one thing I say to other people when out and about (even if I don't have a dog with me). This is a very basic thing that many dog owner just don't do. It drives me crazy.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 7:12 AM, Mairead said:

Funny (but sad) story told by a vet nurse:

Dog allowed to go to the end of the leash (not a flexilead), upsetting other animals in the waiting room. Nurse requests owner keep the dog on a short leash. Owner's response "But I didn't bring a short leash".

No shock .
Ive heard so many dumb things at the vets nothing is a OMG moment anymore .
It does amaze me how many owners dont respect people in the waiting rooms no matter what animal they have with them .
Our vet clinic has a big waiting room & a small fenced corner for owners with dogs that do have issues whether that be behaviour,deaf,blind,reactice fear due to arthritic pain of dogs jumping on them so that is there safe zone chairs well away.
I have witnessed people pick up the chairs & move closer so there dogs can play between the fence ,The area is well sign written what its purpose is .
You see people blatanly ignoring staff requests for control  which honestly proves people are glass half full especially as most waiting rooms have CCTV .

• Sad 2

At my vet, as soon as we arrive we are lead to a consultation room where we sit and wait. Just you and your pet. No nonsense goes on at all. When leaving they make sure that the reception area is free also so that there is no incidents on the way out also. If by chance they are extra busy or running behind schedule we are asked to wait in our car. Seems like a good approach to me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Our vet has a 2 hr window for appointments especially for reactive dogs. Hailey is muzzled for each appointment and at the end of her consultation, I remove the muzzle and we do some trick training in the consult room. When we leave the vet, one of the nurses has extra treats for Hailey and takes the time to give them to her in the carpark. I know that Hailey is reactive and muzzle train to avoid any incidents. They know Hailey is reactive, especially under the stress of a vet visit, and are prepared to take the extra time. Absolutely love our vet and vet nurses :heart:

• Like 5