Terrifying Dog Attack in Sydney. Woman Injured Pet Dog Critical.

Deeds

Don't want to kick anyone when there down but can't help but think ,  2 wolfhounds , BIG DOGS    surely you would know if they are dog reactive , , i  have mentioned before  i spend  hrs and hrs and hrs , each week fishing on the dog beach   in front of my house , and cannot help but shake my head  at the amount of people usually women who  have dogs that can be reactive ,  yet untrained to the extent they need to be , that CANNOT PHYSICLY  handle there dogs ,  , couple of years ago    i actually intervened in a dog attack and saved a little dog , one of my favorite dogs a rotty , this one a big one , attacked a little  maltese type thing ,   probably only 10 feet from me , he had the little dog  and was shaking it , would'nt let go , the dog  would'nt listen to its owner who was just has hysterical has the  little dogs elderly owner ,   the rotty owner could'nt hold it or drag it , holding on to the lead she was just being pulled , i  run up grabbed the lead of her  and virtually  picked the rotty up   chocking it  , still would'nt let go  i dragged it into the sea  and then it let go , lucky the small dog survived  , the rottys owner  ,   when i handed it back to her  still could'nt hold this agitated dog  it was pulling her up the beach i took over and walked the dog to her car  and put it in for her , it was pulling me all the way  but i was strong enough to control it , i  also know  a couple of years ago my mates 2 big dogs   pulled away from his wife and killed a little dog  she was just not  strong enough to handle them , there was  no   recourse because the little dog they killed was actually off leash and run up to them  , but i just can't grasp why people would take out a reactive dog bigger and stronger than they are

• Like 2

The area this happened at is just off the south end of a large off-leash dog park (Gannons Park) which is not far from where I live. Hurstville All Breeds dog training club hold their weekly training sessions near there on the Sundays, but was probably on school holiday hiatus this weekend. Lots of dog owners like to take their dogs down towards the river out of the park - which technically isn't designated off-leash, but there are no signs or anybody to stop people going there with off leash dogs for a dip in the water when the tide is up, or a good sniff about in the low tide bog.

I'm trying to think which vet clinic they could have taken the little dog to on a Sunday afternoon, and the closest one that would have been open would be VSOS, which is an emergency hospital, so if taken there, it will be in the best hands fully trained for emergency situations.

T.

• Like 2

That trauma will be very hard for the poor woman to get over. Not being able to protect your dog from attack is incredibly distressing and can cause ongoing anxiety.  I hope she and her dog get all the help they need. 

• Like 2

If latest reporting by commercial channels is correct: 1. wolfhounds were at first looked after by friend of owner while police searched for owner (?) 2. are now with the council, owner? says they jumped the fence and are sweet-tempered 3. dogs were being looked after by friend of owner and jumped back fence.

People could unexpectedly end up with dogs they can't control when a child leaves home and cannot take the dog/s or goes to jail etc. Or maybe they feel sorry for the smallish cute puppy about to be put down. 

Edited by Mairead

Dogs who jump a fence and run off can act very different than when they are with their owner. They very well could normally be ‘sweet natured’ but they are still very strong capable of doing a lot of damage. There shouldn’t be any way for any dog to be able to escape. They failed their dogs there. Now others pay for it as well as the dogs. 

My dog was attacked walking in an ordinary suburban street some years ago from a dog who was with their owner in the front yard off leash. Since then we have always walked where it should be the safest - busy areas, busy lake tracks etc. It is a great fear of mine at how quickly and easily it can happen and how there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn’t even grab my dog or the other dog, I couldn’t even get a kick in or anything as it kept moving in a frenzy in a circle. Lucky the owner was able to whack their dog with an object to shock them out of it so they ran back into their house. The owner then walked off quickly without saying a word to me or checking us over. It was the most terrifying thing. And it was only a border collie size. 

Terrifying. People need to do better with their dogs for the sake of their own dog and others. It’s not that hard, just have them secure and under control. 

I hope the little dog is ok and owner too. They are very lucky that someone called for help for them. 

• Like 1

Whenever I hear of things like this in school holidays I wonder if there was someone minding the dogs, a big change in the dogs’ routine or housing during the holidays, or someone walking them who was not used to them. Dogs that have no history of escape don’t usually start without some change in husbandry. 

just saw the post that said they were being looked after by a friend. Sad for everyone involved. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

I’m not sure about how easily they can jump. I know Deerhounds are more than capable. Hopefully we learn more soon whether it’s correct that someone else was minding them and they did indeed jump the fence. I don’t know if it’s just me but the photos of the dogs don’t look like the photos of Irish Wolfhounds I’m used to. They seem smaller or leaner. Maybe it’s just me or the photo though. 

You are right. My childhood dog escaped when we went away once and someone was minding him. He obviously was scared we were gone so ran off. Thankfully someone found him and kept him safe until we returned. 

I think it’s good to try to learn everything we can about the circumstances surrounding these attacks to help prevent them in future. 

Wolfhoundish hunting dogs are more athletic looking than show wolfhounds. Can run down a coyote if working in a team. Wire hair is dominant so wolfhound or deerhound could be some way back.

I thought they looked  quite Wolfhoundy in the photo in the article, I couldn’t say purebred but not a million miles away.  
I keep having to edit as the posts are posting before I have finished today. Weird. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

Wolfhounds - sighthounds probably regarded the JRT as prey.  The 2 of them obviously would have operated as a pack.  They probably attacked the poor woman because she picked her dog up in order to protect it. None of this excuses the horrific attack on the woman and her dog.

A tragedy for all involved. 

You have to be so careful who you can trust with your dogs.  Not everyone cares for them like you do.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Amazetl said:

I read that they still can’t locate the wolfhounds owner. Why is that? No one knows where they came from at all? What will happen? Poor little one. Just horrifying. So sad. 

If the dogs weren’t microchipped and had no id it’s hard to track down the owner. They may not even usually live in Sydney.
I’d expect the attacking dogs will be euthanised as dangerous and basically abandoned if they don’t find an owner. The go fund appeal money will cover the vet bills and maybe the medical bills.
And the injured woman will have to try to get over it as best she can. 

• Sad 2

On 10/07/2023 at 12:33 PM, Diva said:

That trauma will be very hard for the poor woman to get over. Not being able to protect your dog from attack is incredibly distressing and can cause ongoing anxiety.  I hope she and her dog get all the help they need. 

That is so true.  Having had one of my dogs attacked on an off lead beach caused me much anxiety for the best part of 20 years and I am not going to read the article as it will bring it all back, however, I have learnt enough from the comments posted.  I only ever went back to that off lead beach once, and it was with this dog once he had recovered, on a week day when no one was around.  I made it a fun experience for him and we left.  

• Sad 3