Breed suggestions please

BDJ

Good morning.   My brother lost his whippet this week :cry:, and I would appreciate any thoughts on any breeds I can make him aware of.    He said it will be early/mid year before he thinks he will be looking, so plenty of time for research etc.

His dog was perfect (at least in his eyes :laugh: - I found his constant attempts to eat the cat food and shred tissues a tad frustrating, but that is another story :rofl: - all jokes aside, he genuinely was an amazing dog and has left a huge hole in our hearts).  He has not dismissed getting another whippet (actually was always his plan) but there is the risk that another whippet will always be compared and have to 'live up to', so exploring options.  

Some specific information:

• Smooth/short coat (he prefers the look, nothing to do with grooming)
  • Loyal and human orientated
  • Good with cats
  • similar size
  • not an energizer bunny (will get exercise and stimulation, but personal circumstances means there will be a lot of resting at home)
  • my brother is home a lot - and when he isn't, I usually am.  So not 'always someone home' guaranteed, but genuinely 90-95% of the time

He has fallen in love with a couple of 'oodles' that he sees at a business he goes to.   I have mentioned a poodle and he wasn't keen - but when he thinks poodle he visualises show clips etc.  Would love to see 'pet clip' photos, and also some thoughts on whether they would be a good fit.

I know that it is also up to individual dogs, but breeds that meet these these traits would be appreciated please

Given the oodles need brushing & clipping then that will not tick the first box .
The other factor as a groomer who refuses to groom oodles due to nutty owners & there "i dont want my dog to look like a Poodle "even though it looks like a Poodle is something he seriously needs to consider .
If you dont brush it & its knotty well it will look like a Poodle .

If hes happy to go with some hair then consider  bedlington terrier.Awesome dogs a whippet in many ways but the Beddie quirks .

• Like 1

If he is going to compare the next dog to the previous one then he probably needs to wait a bit longer. Then go back to the breeder of the whippet and get one of different colour and sex, perhaps an older one - retired show dog?

As living things each dog is different and should be valued for its own sake.

• Like 2

Thanks both for your responses.

I think I didn't explain a few things properly, so expanding a bit

- definitely would not be an 'oodle', whichever breed he chooses it will be a purebred.   Mum and I showed group 5 dogs decades ago.  He wasn't very interested, but at the few shows he went to he would have seen poodles in show clips, and like many people that is what he first imagines when he first thinks of poodles  (this is apparently why 'oodles' are so popular - 'Joe public' can have the perception that poodles are 'fussy,  fluffly prancies' whereas an 'oodle' seems more family friendly.  I know that is wrong but perception can be reality to some)

- a clipped (short) coat is no problem.   Just not a double long coat (sheltie etc)

- Bedlington is a great idea, thank you

- Unfortunately the breeder is no longer breeding.  He hasnt decided yet whether it will be a pup or an older dog, but certainly worth considering

- His next dog will be valued for its own sake, so pls dont worry about that.  It is just a consideration.   He lost his constant (and I mean constant) friend and companion of 14 years and is not rushing in at all.  He has pegged 'early/mid year' as a timeframe, but that is completely variable and up to him

thanks again both

• Like 1

We had poodles for 20 years and as long as he’s happy to do regular grooming and visits to a professional groomer a poodle (especially a mini) would be a great fit, the biggest difference I’ve noticed between the whippets and poodles are poodles are a bit smarter and tend to be a little bit more needy but other than that they have a lot of similarities.

• Like 1

A terrier in a cat household, and after owning a sighthound might be too big a change, too full-on.

I declare I am biased in favour of sighthounds. Cat-like in many ways.

I had one who knew the catfood was off limits, but what was wrong with just lying down next to it? And if someone saw you take a mouthful, well you just spit it out and say you had nothing to do with it.

7 hours ago, Mairead said:

A terrier in a cat household, and after owning a sighthound might be too big a change, too full-on.

I declare I am biased in favour of sighthounds. Cat-like in many ways.

I had one who knew the catfood was off limits, but what was wrong with just lying down next to it? And if someone saw you take a mouthful, well you just spit it out and say you had nothing to do with it.

Terriers are no more high drive than a sighthound with the same drive .
Having owned Bedlingtons & Sighthounds i can safely tell you there isnt any difference 
Infact not all terriers are created  to act like what people perceive as a terrier & tell people which is ashame as breeds get given a bad rep by poor info .
Many whippet fanciers also own Bedlingtons due to the similarities 

Edited by Dogsfevr

Terriers are great , but they are terriers , i love the Aussie terrier , poodles , don't know much about them , neighbors got two he loves them , although  there not show dogs and i was actually suprised they are poodles ,  i was same has most  poodles look gay , LOL . German shepards , great dogs , little maltese cross ,  rottys , great dane , bedlington  , you name it , if he likes the look of it he's a dog lover he's gonna love it because  the dog will mould to him and he will mould to the dog , , however when theres little traits you don't want  , (long hair )  nose to ground and  bugger off , whatever   if the dog has these traits he considers undesirable , it will make it harder so my sugestion , and i thought of this before  i even finished reading your post was simple ,  maybee a little bigger but   not has active , A RETIRED GREYHOUND ,  lovely dogs , i will say not for me i would never have them  but  seems like the perfect dog for him , because he does something i don't , he likes the look of them , 

Original breeder not an option, so plenty of time to go to some dog events and get to know some current breeders. Which of them have cats.

Go to Menu; events; conformation shows then your state (eg NSW not state of mind!) and look for whippet clubs, sighthound clubs or hound clubs as bigger whippet entries at these than at general shows. The location and time will be on the schedule. You could also go to lure-coursing events but these are run in the cooler parts of the year. Not sure how many whippets do obedience, rally, scent work etc - these would be in dog sports, but still might be an interesting visit.

If considering a retired greyhound (the female racing greyhounds can be smaller than the males or show greyhounds) they may not be used to cats and small pets, and some rescues may not give you the complete history/assessment of the dog hoping perhaps that by the time you find out you will have bonded.

My neighbour got a secondhand cattle dog from a council pound I think, and he discovered after it had jumped the fence and gone for someone that it had been declared a dangerous dog.

Edited by Mairead

23 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

In fact not all terriers are created  to act like what people perceive as a terrier & tell people which is a shame as breeds get given a bad rep by poor info .

I absolutely agree and sadly, it's the constant barrage of misinformation from non-terrier owners that has widely contributed to the severe decline in terrier ownership resulting in many terrier breeds being listed on either the critical or endangered breeds list.

Terriers are seriously adaptable, hardy, sturdy, personable, smart and dedicated dogs and thrive well as family pets in any kind of household.  Having had terriers my entire life, they can live harmoniously with cats, they don't dig or bark (except as the typical alert/watch-dog) and they should never be aggressive.  In fact, the terrier temperament should be that yes, they'll defend themselves if challenged, but they don't go out and seek confrontation.

There are a number of terriers that might suit your brother such as the Bedlington (as already mentioned), Border, Aussie, Cairn, Sealyham and Dandie.

Otherwise, there's also nothing wrong with another whippet either, but your brother should most definitely be sure he's ready to welcome another dog into his life before bringing one home.  That being said, you can definitely start making enquiries because it might take time to find a breeder you click with and trust plus a lengthy waitlist and it's also not a bad thing to let breeders know that you're not currently in the right mind to bring home a puppy straight away but that you're just opening some communication.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2023 at 12:44 PM, Princess Fru Fru said:

Terriers are seriously adaptable, hardy, sturdy, personable, smart and dedicated dogs and thrive well as family pets in any kind of household. 

Australian Terriers are awesome little dogs. Mine have been no nonsense, charming, hardy, fun, attentive, engaged, loyal and easy to live with. You cannot offend them, they are easy to maintain and cheap to feed and medicate (size). Of my two, one was more vocal than the other though not excessive in any way and he was responsive to a "Shush Shush". They really can live in any environment from an apartment... to a farm... to a swag! :laugh:

• Like 1