A Question About Dry Food

Cazza

We went to Petbarn yesterday, to buy a big kong. It was fun looking at all the things they have - I didn't realise it would be so big!

While we were there, we thought we'd get more dog food. We were thinking about getting some SuperCoat for Shadow, when a lady who was a rep for IAM convinced us to try IAM as they were having a two-for-one offer.

In her spiel, she said that premium dog foods (eukanuba, science diet, IAM), are better than "supermarket" food and will make dogs have better poo. Is that true? What's the difference between all the brands?

The difference between supermarket brands and the premium brands is the quality of the ingredients that go into them.

Although all the foods will meet the minimum AAFCO guidelines, some foods do it quite crudely. If you look at the ingredients list, the premium foods have more actual meat products at the top of the list, while the cheaper brands with have cereal, meat meals and by products as the primary ingredients. You'll generally also find that the premium brands have life stage diets - like puppy, adult, senior, weight management etc, rather than a choice of puppy or adult. The quality and composition are more consistent also.

If fed in appropriate amounts, the premium foods will result in smaller, firmer poos as the ingredients are more digestible and less of the original food is excreted as waste (as compared to cheaper foods with higher amounts of "bulk" in them).

Once you start comparing the premium brands there aren't a lot of glaring differences except in the aims of companies (ie. Hills run their Science Diet and Prescription lines, Euk does a lot of breed size specific, Eagle Pack etc cater for the natural feeders....). Eukanuba and Iams are produced by the same company, Iams is a premium, Eukanuba is "super premium". Nearly everyone you ask will have a different preference, but most of the companies have sample packs available or sell small size bags so you can pick and choose as you see fit.

Any dog food with a high absorbtion rate (85%) is generally regarded as a good product. Whilst it might be dear to purchase first up you will save money in the long run because your pet will not need as much product. Its a bit like us if we go out and have one of those all you can eat smorgusboard dinners. Whilst its nice just look at the amount you consumed. (and was it really that good ??) On the other hand if you go to a resteraunt and have a quality meal, there may not be much on the plate so to speak, but you come away feeling satified you have eaten well and don't need anything else to satisfy you. The higher absorbtion products do give the benefit of less waste which has got to be a winner in my book ( 1 Saint Bernard, 7 Shih Tzu's ).

IMO if you're going to be feeding a kibble style of diet, you can't go past Innova's EVO food. It's expensive but well worth it if you want the convenience of a ready-made food without the potential health risks of cooked foods. EVO is extruded raw ingredients of human grade foods. I am a BARF feeder, that is, my dogs eat human grade, fresh, whole raw foods. I prepare everything myself.

But Molly is tiny and must have two meals a day. This isn't a problem except that it takes her a while (more than 30 minutes) to eat the average RMB. I just can't afford that kind of time in the morning, so I compromised and started her on EVO for breakfast with a "proper" BARF meal at dinner.

I would never feed any of the brands you mentioned in your post. They're just too iffy for my liking. Go for the more expensive and usually imported products such as California Natural, Innova, or Solid Gold (if you can find them!). Many pet supplies places won't stock them b/c of the expense but if you shop around, you will find them.

I hope this helps.

Oh, and the best thing for cleaning your dog's teeth? RMBs, that is, raw meaty bones. Most foods that "claim" to be good for the teeth really aren't. :laugh:

Thanks for all the info. I guess we'll see how much difference the premium food makes in few weeks :(.

I thought it was funny looking at the expression on her face when I told the rep that Shadow got ham on walks. He loves it and dry food - not even liver snacks - doesn't even register on his dial on a walk. The rep was appalled as she believes that kibble is all a dog needs. Just as well I didn't mention he gets 2 chicken wings per day plus a bone or peanut butter-stuffed kong! :laugh:

Edited by Cazza

I brought a big bag (18kg) of IAMS 10 weeks ago & my pups hates it. The only way I can get her to eat it is to make a egg nog a pour it over the top. She also gets a lamb shank after her dry food (topped with egg nog of course.) Her coat is beautiful & dodo's are small & firm unlike my last dog, he lived cans of pal.

Egg nog: 1/3 of a cup of milk, 1 raw egg & beat it. :laugh:

I would never feed any of the brands you mentioned in your post.  They're just too iffy for my liking.  Go for the more expensive and usually imported products such as California Natural, Innova, or Solid Gold (if you can find them!). 

Pretty much all of the super premium foods are imported....Hills/Euk/Iams is American, Royal Canin is French I think....Advance is about the only thing made here.

I have also seen dogs with horrible dry coats on Innova, and on an American list have read breeders who wouldn't use Solid Gold because it's too fatty and gave their dogs diarrhoea...just because it's THE most expensive doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work.

I (and I'm sure lots of others) don't have an endless amount of money to spend on the dogs food.

You need to feed the food the dog does well on...regardless of the brand or the price.

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

Hi lillysmum, I feed my dog California Natural and Eagle Pack Holistic. I put him on Evo for a week but he kept having runny stool with mucus. I bought a bag of Innova last week to replace CN. I see you mentioned Solid Gold, is it available in Australia? I'm in Sydney, do you have information where to get it? But I'd stick with Innova and EP Holistic anyway. :laugh:

Thanks

Edited by panda

GoneGrey - what price range is the Natural Balance food? I've seen a few signs outside of the local vet clinics advertising it... but haven't had the chance to drop in an enquire.

PP - Pet Fare... that's the stuff they give out free samples of at training? If it is, my two loved it, but I certainly didn't enjoy poop patrol the next day! I had dinosaur sized poops to collect. yuk.

I've tried quite a few different brands over the years, Cougar does well on absolutely ANYTHING... Chelsea gets dandruff on most stuff and looses condition on a few as well, the only thing so far not to set it off is Bonnie, and a bonus is that it is cheap as.

Edited by ChelseasMum

My dogs are fed Optimum, and their coats and skin are in great nick since I started using it when it came on the market. It is not cheap for the 4kg bag as far as supermarket kibble is concerned, but it is worth the difference.

When I have a litter of puppies, they are fed with Advance puppy rehydratable, and they do well on that.

GoneGrey - what price range is the Natural Balance food? I've seen a few signs outside of the local vet clinics advertising it... but haven't had the chance to drop in an enquire.

I get it delivered to my door for $75 for 15kg. The stores sell the same thing for $80.

Have tried many other super premium foods and find it very comparable, with less additives and chemicals.

I was told to feed supercoat puppy by my breeder and after going into the pet suppply place was talked into changing her over to Pro Plan Puppy. Before on Supercoat her poo's were real soft, but now on Pro Plan her poo is great (as great as poo can get :eek: ) The only major problem I am having now is a HUGE case of flakey skin, which is driving her and me crazy! I have just finished her first bag of Pro Plan which was 17kg and am thinking about changing to another brand now as some of you have said that you need to find the right brand to suit the dog. I have tried everything else to fix the flakey skin, and all that is left is her diet, so I'm off food hunting tomorrow! There are way too many choices though.

What people have said about feeding what works for your dog is absolutely correct. After trying Beau on Advance, SD, Euk and supercoat all of which resulted in him gong hyper and having big runny poos he now eats Coprice, whcih costs me $25 for 20kg and looks great. He also gets an egg every couple of days as we have chooks. I have also put Sascha on Coprice and they both have great shiny coats.