Hair, Hair And More Hair

Guest Pixel

Okay, I am so over the shedding of the winter coat. Her hair/fur is EVERWHERE!!!!

The most annoying would be the humans bed. When does it stop? How can I de fur her quicker?

I am going crazy.... and it is short haired stuff too so it acts like pins and gets into stuff and doesn't get out :eek:

There are a few different things that help:

hydrobath

metal tooth comb (stripping comb with two rows of teeth of different lengths)

wet rubber gloves

curry comb (used for horses)

it just depends on the type of coat she has as to what works best.

there are these little round human hair brushes that you can get from the chemist called a scalp massager or something like that. They are only about $2 and I have found that a good circular rubover during a bath(hydrobath is even better)gets the fur out pretty good :eek:

You can also get a comb that looks likes a fishscaler...they are really good for a short coated dog...the 'comb' part of it looks like a curled around blunt hacksaw blade...in fact you can use a blunted hacksaw blade, you'd just have to hold the ends together so that you get the good curve going :eek:

Some staffords just seem to lose more hair than others... My boy loses hair all year - it is like little black eyelashes and it is stuck in everything...

My solutions - buy furniture the same colour as the dog and get a Dyson vacuum cleaner...

Good luck

Jodie

My dalmatian Jake seems to malt constantly as well and has the same fine and short hairs that stick to everything :eek:

I find the best thing is to give him a really good brush when I am bathing him with a rubber curry comb (I have horses, but I also have a similar one that is a proper dog brush) as it gets a lot of his coat out and then when he is dry brush him with a soft brush which will get all the loose hairs off too.

Another way of doing this without bathing the dog is to get a rubber curry comb or rubber glove etc. and a wet face washer. Run the wet face washer over the area you are going to brush and then run the rubber comb or clove over that area and keep repeating the process. In the horse world it is called dressing I learn't it from a race horse trainer years ago but it is really effective in getting that dead hair out of the coat :)

Anne

Some staffords just seem to lose more hair than others... My boy loses hair all year - it is like little black eyelashes and it is stuck in everything...

Did he lose hair in his first year? She never lost any hair until about a month or two ago and it just won't stop :eek:

Which ones off these pages would you all suggest?

http://www.itsadogshop.com/category133_2.htm

http://www.lovemypet.com.au/mall/dog_brushs.asp

I have a wooden one side brush one side blunt pins but it doesn't seem to do much help

Hi Pixel

The best "brushes" to use on a short caot would be either a zzom groom, grooming glove or rubber massage brush. Witht the rubber "tools" and short coat you dont have to brush in the direction of the coat as you do say with Shelties.

Give your dog a good going over with the brush first, and then if you can a hydrobath and that also helps loosen up the coat,

Have a search on the net for "Shed Lite " made by Ring 5 in the USA.

I think it started in his first summer, so he would have been about 7 months old...

I don't brush him, never have... He gets a bath nearly every week to 10 days in summer time and fortnightly in winter... After his bath, he gets a really good rub down with his towels, then blow dried (he loves this, especially in winter)...

I just make sure that I vacuum a lot but it comes with the breed, so I just put up with it...

Cheers

Jodie

I think they are shedding more than usual because of the heat we've been getting. The horse is doing it too.

Wouldn't believe the hair I got out of the Dobe this morning.

I've been using a grooming block on her after the bath, while still damp - and today I had to rinse her again because of all the hair coming out.

The block comes for horses - about $5 from Horseland.

:eek:

I use the horse grooming blocks on the Staffords.

Mine also enjoy sitting with me ( outside ) and I use my thumb and first finger to remove the hair, I usually do this around the neck and over the back, they quite enjoy the attention and the time.

Hydrobathing will loosen it all up as will a good blow dry, but be warned once it starts , it's all coming out.

She is the first short haired dog I have ever owned so I just didn't think she needed brushing.

Yes we had her de-sexed in the last 7 mths, does it effect hormone levels?

Thanks everyone, I think I will have to get her a brush for her birthday :eek:

Yes we had her de-sexed in the last 7 mths, does it effect hormone levels?

I haven't ever read any facts on this (havent looked either), but yes I do believe it does. It has happened with my own dogs and the desexing is the only thing I can pin point. My Saints coat even went so far as to re grow a big stripe of 'different' looking coat down her spine. I have also noticed excessive shedding with Rotties a few months after being desexed, however the following year (season) it settled down to a normal level. I haven't noticed it so much with males though.

I use a zoom groom (great on wet and dry dogs), a rake (good for gettting out undercoat) and a shedding blade (best for top coat). My two are both short coated, but have just finished blowing their undercoat (thank god!). But they do shed all year round. Oh and we have a Dyson too!

• 4 weeks later...

Our local pet store has $2 hydrobaths, but I just found out that it is 'do it yourself'. Hmm can't say I can see that working at the moment... give it a few months.

Anyone know somewhere in southside brisbane that does it for a decent amount? I have had a look at the mobile pooch baths but they are a little x'ey (especially since they can't give you an exact amount)